Author Topic: Kino strings initially impressed?  (Read 555 times)

Kino strings initially impressed?
« on: October 09, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
Ok so `iím probably walking on eggshells with this one and will be about as popular as Mr. Trump at a tijuana brass band concert,  8)
I will be honest and say that I donít find the sound in the demo of the new `kino strings spectacular despite Martin Harrisís excellent demonstration skills. it didnít make my beard stand on end in the same way the new ensemble sax demo  did.Maybe itís because I was expecting a very lush sound and I was expecting more chorus depth. A bit like the Tyros 4 Allegro strings.
I understand that `yamaha Tyros 5 strings are probably very accurate to a group of violins sound and I understand where their thinking maybe that to get that big symphony, mantovani or James last sound most of us are familiar with, it is necessary to build up more than one set. ie. right 1. real strings. Right 2, romantic strings. then detune one of them, pan etc. I have experimented with this and you get a much deeper sound, so maybe Yamaha expect us to do something similar . The Kino ones do sound sweeter i must admit but still dry. How do other people find these new strings in the Genos?    :)

Online maartenb

Re: Kino strings initially impressed?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 09:25:55 AM »
They sound great to me, but I will have a real opinion after I have played the Genos myself.

It's too early for me to have a grounded opinion.

Maarten

The following users thanked this post: organaut

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 09:33:00 AM »
Maarten, Well they probably are and Iím sure youíre right.To be honest Iíve only had my ipad with heaphones so I will try listening again on the big computer through my stereo system and listen to the difference. :)

Online maartenb

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 09:40:12 AM »
This is the difference between the strings (source: Martin Harris demo video):
  • Classic strings
    Looking from the audience towards the stage: strings on the left, alt violas in the middle, cello on the right.
  • Kino/movie strings
    Strings on both left and right, violas and cello in the middle. This creates a fuller sound.

You need to listen to these strings with headphones or good monitors.

Maarten

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 09:45:04 AM »
Ok Thanks MaartenB. will do.

Online DavidB

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 10:30:01 AM »
I will be honest and say that I donít find the sound in the demo of the new `kino strings spectacular despite Martin Harrisís excellent demonstration skills. it didnít make my beard stand on end in the same way the new ensemble sax demo  did.

I agree with you. That was the one demo so far that left me feeling completely underwhelmed.

Still buying one though :)

Regards,

Offline Marcus

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 11:23:59 AM »
There appears to be a whole voice bank of Kino strings types. There are a few different ones being used in the various Martin Harris demo videos. I heard the Kino Movie Strings and they were very nice. There is also the KinoStringsViolins as the RH2 voice and KingStringsCellos as the RH3 voice in the following demo. So many Kino string variants that can even be layered or used in style/multipad parts etc.

OrchRockBallad2 - Rock Style genre with One Touch Settings. Yamaha Genos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd9PB8rzMV8

Wouldn't the selection of Kino Strings voices as part of the new Ensemble voices additions be fantastic? We will have to wait for the Data Manual I guess to know for sure or exactly how many Kino String voices there are.

Marcus
Gear: Triangle

Offline soundphase

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 11:28:24 AM »
https://youtu.be/RwBLCaBRcwY?t=1535
Kino Strings are not so impressive for me.... Far less impressive than Berlin Orchestra strings in the teasers. And I have Yamaha MSP10 studio monitors.

I pre-ordered Genos, but I must be honest. I am far more impressed by piano, electric pianos, drums, saxo, cello and synthetic sounds....

As I found Martin Harris's voice has a lot of bass, I hope the overall demo sound is not changed by external effects.

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 01:30:13 PM »
Thank you for all your replies. I don’t wish to put a downer on the Genos with what I have asked. I was really wondering if there is something wrong with the way I hear some of the tones and I’m not trying to stir negativity. It certainly won’t put me off buying a Genos either. If I don’t like the way the strings sound initially(like I felt and still feel about the real strings on Tyros 5) I will work on them (layering etc.) Afterall, I don’t want my Genos to be so perfect so that it doesn’t leave me any incentive to shape certain sounds the way I want them. Afterall this is the whole point of the new tweakable options is it not :) I will say at this point that I really have found this forum very helpful and welcoming along with Eileen’s. I like the way people on here try and help each other and work out what is going on especially at times like these when we’re trying to fathom all the new stuff before it arrives. I love a good mystery .
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 01:34:06 PM by organaut »

Offline soundphase

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 01:43:50 PM »
Yes. With a lot of works, I already succeeded in building good string sounds with T5, but it uses a combination of several parts.

But it's difficult to get this kind of movie string sound : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ClOI9uu_4M&list=PLZDSjehh6M6f7e6lNF8KNThBZD0DefiJJ

And the kino strings I heard, seems to me very far from this.

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 03:09:08 PM »
Soundphase. I have just listened to the Russia house theme music. Yes, to get close to that it might be possible with Genos but I doubt without some layering, detuning and certainly multi track sequencing. There is a lot more going on there than just straight strings and it’s differently changing all the way through the piece and I’m not even referring to the horns and other instruments in there. Sometimes there are tremulating and deep violas , cellos etc. The sound is moving all the time like a river. That can’t be bottled and packaged. Having said that, I think the makings of it are there in the Genos. It’s amazing what sounds can be conjured and built up with multi tracking. I’m no expert and just playing at it but I was pleased with these results which I have given you the link to below of one of my youtube videos You may or not think so. I used just a simple Orla organ. https://youtu.be/rUFcxa9M03s
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:15:52 PM by organaut »

Offline soundphase

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 10:15:46 PM »
In the Russia house music at 0:55, I think there could be two layers. One for the higher strings, one for the accompaniment. No more. But I didn't hear such strings nor in T5 nor in the Genos demo

Bravo for your video and music.