Author Topic: Genos...how times are changing!  (Read 466 times)

Offline Will49

Genos...how times are changing!
« on: October 09, 2017, 03:41:48 AM »
Hello everyone, It has been quite some time since I last posted anything on here; and here I am…still plodding away with my T4! Anyhow, I eagerly awaited the morning of 2nd October for the release of the Genos demo videos, and guess what was one of the first things that dawned on me when I saw all that twiddling of knobs, the pushing and pulling of sliders… as well as the resulting sounds? It was the moment when I realized how narrow the boundary between the home keyboard/arranger and studio synth has now become (Genos even looks more like a top end, pro synth too) – how times are changing indeed! And Genos’ capability as modern/upbeat music-creating tool seems to be highlighted quite a bit in a lot of the demos (admittedly, I’ve not yet managed to watch them all though), so I reckon that the younger generation of keyboard musicians will also be well-pleased this time round (more about age groups in a moment).

In contrast, I seem to recall that the first few demo videos of Tyros 5 that I came across at the time seemed to revolve a lot around the Ensemble feature, Organ World (pipe and theatre especially), lots of Choir voices and lots of the more laid-back/easy listening sort of stuff…perhaps it’s because that’s just the stuff that has embedded itself the most in my memory! If I understand correctly, there will be an improved version of the Ensemble feature on Genos, but no Organ World as such. Pity, as I thought that it was a nice feature (with its screen graphics etc.) on T5 for those of us coming from the electronic organ era – even though I’ve not owned a T5.

I touched upon the subject of age above, and it’s something that DavidB in another thread did as well…part of his post goes like this:
“Let's be absolutely clear folks, age has absolutely nothing to do with someone's musical ability, their ability to use technology or musical taste.”

Whilst I totally agree with the first two points he makes, I’m afraid I shall have to disagree with the third, i.e. ‘musical taste’. For example: I will be 69 if I see next January, and (as mentioned above) I come from an era when electronic organs playing traditional stuff in pubs on Saturday nights were a big attraction. Our younger son, on the other hand, is just 25 and is heavily into the modern, upbeat stuff (House/Techno etc.), and does the occasional DJ gig with his own compositions. So, you see… he and I are worlds apart in our taste in music! And when I showed him one or two of the demo vids (which didn't do much for me to be honest), he said “Wow… go for it dad; that beats all the others you’ve had so far”! Now that’s the effect that seeing and hearing the Genos videos had on a 25-year-old lad who is so heavily into all the modern stuff!

Will I go for it? I doubt it very much. Reasons: First and foremost, I wouldn’t be able to afford the balance needed on top of my T4 due to such a hefty price tag on Genos – I’m also not a gigging musician so it’s not as if I’d be getting any income from it either. Secondly (even if I could easily afford it), there seems to be lots of stuff on Genos that I would probably never use. So it’s not so much a case of me thinking that Genos is not good enough for me, it’s more a case of me feeling that I’m not competent enough to use all of Genos’ features to their full potential - so an expense that I would not be able to justify! Anyhow, I wish all of you out there who will soon own a Genos the very best of luck and many years of enjoyment with this latest top end offering from Yamaha! I shall look forward to reading your reports on here in due course……  :)

Will 49

Online DavidB

Re: Genos...how times are changing!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 04:09:11 AM »
We're in such similar positions, I too never went to a T5 from my T4, mainly because I was happy with the T4 and by the time I thought about it, some 12 months ago, the T6/Genos was already being talked about and so I decided to wait.

I also play only for my own enjoyment although I have played 'publicly' a couple of times, it's not for income or financial gain in any way.

I don't disagree with you on musical taste in general, people do of course tend to like the music of their generation, except I will maintain musical taste should not automatically be linked to age. I as I'm sure many others, know young people who like to play to 40's and 50's music and older 'rockers' who love to dabble in the modern stuff. Not that I can play any well, but I like music of all genres (except punk and heavy metal) including some very recent stuff.

The advancement in technology, sound reproduction and quality is truly astounding from what I've heard so far and I have already gone for the Genos and traded my T4 for it. I'm greatly looking forward to receiving it and both playing with it and playing it. I'm certain Genos will easily meet (and more likely exceed) my needs although it is evident from this forum and others there are some who believe Yamaha should have gone further and incorporated more functions. Perhaps the reason for this is as you say, the possibility of the arranger and synths colliding.

Interesting times :)

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 04:27:08 AM »
I touched upon the subject of age above, and it’s something that DavidB in another thread did as well…part of his post goes like this:
“Let's be absolutely clear folks, age has absolutely nothing to do with someone's musical ability, their ability to use technology or musical taste.”

I don't plan to use my new Genos for live performing (I'm not a live performer), nor am I interested in a lot of the arranger functions (I never really used much of them in my Tyros 5, tbh). Genos will be used, mainly, as a master keyboard, a fantastic multi-timbral sound box, a 'mothership' digital workstation working with my DAW set-up. This is how I used the Tyros 5. As for musical ability - yes, absolutely. These instruments are only ever as good as the musicians playing them. I'm competent, but sometimes I need a little help - the arranger can provide that, as well as inspiration.

From what I've heard of the Genos's new more modern styles, I'm optimistic this keyboard will be a little more suited to my musical inclinations than the Tyros 5 was.
Yamaha Tyros 5 | Roland A-800 Pro | Cubase 9 Elements | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape & Stylus RMX | Arturia Spark 2 | Yamaha APX 700II 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Offline Will49

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 05:44:57 AM »
.....it is evident from this forum and others there are some who believe Yamaha should have gone further and incorporated more functions.

Hi DavidB, Depends a lot on which functions they want more of I suppose? If it’s more onboard editing and customisation (without the need of an iPad, laptop etc.) that they’re after, then I reckon I would probably agree with them. Call me old-fashioned in my ways if you like, but I seem to have stood still whilst technology has advanced light years ahead of me! I’ve not even installed expansion memory in my T4, and I’ve no experience of software DAWs, VSTs, YEM etc. etc! I just prefer to be able to do whatever I need to do on the keyboard itself without the need for any other external appliances or computer software.

I remember being hugely disappointed upon discovering a few style editing limitations (especially no Control track!!) in Yamaha’s Style Creator when I first went over to them following the demise of Technics – such features had been a doddle on the Technics, but was not (and STILL isn’t as far as I know) possible on top end Yamaha arrangers! I remember contacting Yamaha about this and was given a whole load of technical waffle (which all went over my head I’m afraid) as to why those things could not be performed on Yamaha arrangers! In contrast, I believe Korg’s Pa4X is way ahead on editability and customisation but, sadly, lacking in other areas. Why, oh why then is it that Yamaha don’t make their arrangers more flexible in terms of on-board editing and customisation…without the need for external equipment/software?

Will49
P.S. All the best with your Genos when it arrives!  :D

Online maartenb

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 10:11:08 AM »
Thanks for your post, Will! It's nice to hear a young man's reaction.

[..] on Genos, but no Organ World as such. Pity, as I thought that it was a nice feature (with its screen graphics etc.) on T5

No worries, it's still there, with graphics and all, in the Organ category.

Maarten

Offline Will49

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 11:49:04 AM »
Thanks for your post, Will! It's nice to hear a young man's reaction.

Hello Maarten, You are, of course, referring to my 25 year old son (mentioned in my opening post), and not me...sadly!  ;) ;D Many thanks for the confirmation concernig Organ World.

Wll49  :)