Author Topic: Preparing for Genos when part exchanging Tyros 5  (Read 374 times)

Offline MINKYCATS

Preparing for Genos when part exchanging Tyros 5
« on: October 08, 2017, 08:48:50 PM »
I believe that those lucky people who are going to trade in their Tyros 5 to get a new Genos would value a guide as to what they should do in order to prepare for the arrival of their new baby.

By that I mean what should be saved or backed up and how is this done in practice.

Also - should expansion boards be removed or left in situ for instance and what would be the effect on the Tyros of removing them to sell on to people who own a Tyros 5 and need an expansion board?

How do we deal with Expansion Packs already purchased and installed via YEM?

What happens to Music Finder files? Can we transfer them to Genos and if so how?

These are just a few of my concerns but I am sure there will be many others.

I believe that we need some sort of guide for those of us who are are not technically minded but I am not sure how this could be achieved or presented.

I wonder if anyone agrees with this idea or has similar concerns.

I feel that the thoughts and ideas of others on this matter might be valuable to us all of us and assist us greatly.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Congratulations to all those who will soon be the proud owners of their new Genos and I wish everyone gets an enormous amount of pleasure from their new instrument and I hope that the transition goes smoothly without problems.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)

Yamaha AR100 organ:  Tyros 5 - 61
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000 and others.

Re: Preparing for Genos when part exchanging Tyros 5
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 02:03:15 AM »
I believe that those lucky people who are going to trade in their Tyros 5 to get a new Genos would value a guide as to what they should do in order to prepare for the arrival of their new baby.

I've been thinking about this, too. I sold my Tyros 5 (bought brand new in 2016) in part-exchange for a Genos from UK dealer Bonners. They tell me I can keep my Tyros 5 until the Genos is delivered to me, at which point the delivery driver will collect the Tyros 5 and take it back to Bonners. The deal was for my T5, with Yamaha Speaker set. They didn't want the original silver Yamaha stand at first, but I negotiated a deal with them to get 100 knocked off the new Genos (black) stand in return for my silver stand. I wanted everything in the new black, including the stand and speakers for the Genos (thinking about a few years from now when I come to resell).

My Tyros 5 has the 1GB expansion board and host of sound expansions installed. So, what to do?

I'm going to leave the 1GB expansion board inside the Tyros 5. It will be of no use to me - the Genos has it's built-in expansion board as standard. I don't want the hassle of trying to sell it seperately. It just seems mean to take it out.

As far as I'm aware the sound expansion packs I've purchased will be good to use on my Genos. These I have saved to my PC's hard drive as original downloads from Yamaha Musicsoft (UK). They are all third-party, separately bought expansions:

Easy Sounds - FM Xpanded
Easy Sounds - Magic Dance
Easy Sounds - Phat Analog
Entertainer Gold 2016 Expansions (this was the pack-in giveaway with the original T5 bundle)
SWAR TRAX INDIAN - T5 Indian sample set (very expensive - 250.00!)
Ultimate Ballad Expansion Pack 2017

I'm just going to delete these all off the T5's HDD before I pack up the T5 into its original boxes and get it ready for shipping to Bonners. Other than that, I'm not aware I have to do anything more to the T5. Perhaps I could 'initialise' the keyboard, but that's really about it. I've already taken off all my own personal music files from the T5 and backed them up to a thumb stick.
Yamaha Tyros 5 | Roland A-800 Pro | Cubase 9 Elements | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape & Stylus RMX | Arturia Spark 2 | Yamaha APX 700II 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar

The following users thanked this post: alans

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 03:17:21 AM »
Hi CallUKGR,

Thank you for your post - it will certainly help me.

You have provided some very useful information in your post which I am sure will be invaluable to some  members.

I agree with you about leaving the expansion board in there but do we have to delete the items already installed and how?

Do we need to do any kind of backup?

Not long now till you can enjoy your new Genos. Congratulations.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000 and others.

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 03:55:25 AM »
Well even though I initially decided not to go for a Genos it looks like I'm going for it after all but not immediately. I may wait till the shops start throwing the speakers in for free. I have decided it might be better to sell my Tyros 5 (76) which also has the 2gig mutec expansion board theatre samples and all the Wersi Helios samples etc. I made. There might be lots of Tyros's going up on ebay so The 2 gig board might make mine a more attractive buy. I have also a silver Tyros 4 to sell. (this is not an advert so don't ban me yet moderators please) We have a golden rule in our home that if we want something new, we have to sell other gear, in any case I need to sell the gear to raise the cash for the Genos. I'm assuming many of you are in a similar situation with this last.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 04:12:50 AM »
Those of you that have bought packs from Yamaha will need to download them again once they have been converted to the new system. The New YEM is expected to come out when Genos is ready to purchase. Third party packs conversions we will have to wait and see if suppliers convert for us.

The following users thanked this post: MINKYCATS

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 04:18:11 AM »
Hi CallUKGR,

Thank you for your post - it will certainly help me.

You have provided some very useful information in your post which I am sure will be invaluable to some  members.

I agree with you about leaving the expansion board in there but do we have to delete the items already installed and how?

Do we need to do any kind of backup?

Not long now till you can enjoy your new Genos. Congratulations.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)

Hi Trevor.

Re: Expansion Board - I imagine I'll just have to reformat the expansion board via YEM by not including any of my expansions. This should empty the Expansion Board and leave it vacant and reformatted for the next owner.

Re: Backups - All your data (audio files, midi files, registrations, etc) should be backed up to a thumb stick or, in the case of sound expansions, onto your PC (which is where you should find them if you've been using YEM). I just keep a Tyros 5 folder on my second HDD and all the original downloads from Yamaha Musicsoft (UK) are stored there.

Hope this helps.

Yamaha Tyros 5 | Roland A-800 Pro | Cubase 9 Elements | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape & Stylus RMX | Arturia Spark 2 | Yamaha APX 700II 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Offline jm

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 05:02:19 AM »
For people upgrading their keyboards, I would think it would be best to do a complete factory reset, thereby deleting all of your personal information, such as owners name and Internet details. The only thing I think would be a good idea to reload would be the unscrambled music finder.
Late Learner! Not blessed with any musical ability!☹️ But love music!  I use headphones so as not offend my husband or anyone else 😂Tyros 3 now Tyros 5.

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 03:52:59 AM »
Thanks to all for the valuable information you have provided.

It would be great if there was a step by step idiots guide but I guess this would be difficult to achieve.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)

Offline voodoo

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 04:23:14 AM »
As far as I'm aware the sound expansion packs I've purchased will be good to use on my Genos. These I have saved to my PC's hard drive as original downloads from Yamaha Musicsoft (UK). They are all third-party, separately bought expansions: ...

Yes, these voice expansions are not model specific and work on all keyboards supported by the YEM. I have the same EasySounds packs for my S970. And I expect them to work on the Genos without problems.

Uli
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D