Author Topic: Looking to buy Genos - what do I do with my Tyros 5?  (Read 826 times)

Offline dunbar7376

Looking to buy Genos - what do I do with my Tyros 5?
« on: October 08, 2017, 11:49:01 AM »
Hello All,

I am investigating 2 dealers in the San Diego and one online to purchase the new Genos. The online source, where I bought my Tyros 5, does not offer a trade in for my very well cared for T5, and even suggested selling it personally.

Is this the right thing to do?

In the meantime, I plan to investigate Sam Ash and Greene Music locally - and maybe even Guitar Center - to see if a trade in/exchange is offered.

If it is not, does any one have suggestions as to where I can sell my T5?

Dunbar7376 / Tom Marvan.

Offline Eric, B

Re: Looking to buy Genos - what do I do with my Tyros 5?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 12:00:56 PM »
Hi ,
I live in the Santa Barbara area and sold several of my Tyros on Craigslist.
My 9000pro was sold on this forum.
However, I believe guitar center takes trade ins.
They also match any advertised price, which of course doesn't work for a phone quoted price.
The other place of course is eBay.
Hope this helps
Eric

Genos, Tyros4, PSR-S970

The following users thanked this post: dunbar7376

Offline dunbar7376

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 12:30:29 PM »
Thank you, Eric, it does help.

Tom.

Offline Stubby

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 04:46:15 PM »
I've sold stuff on both Craigslist and eBay, but I believe Craigslist would be better for an expensive keyboard.  With eBay you are dealing with their fees, shipping hassles and the chance that someone might falsely claim that your keyboard is lacking some functional part when in fact they swapped it out.  My issue with Craigslist is that you will never know who shows up at your door, but I usually take precautions like getting as much of their personal info in advance before I give out my address (for example, in addition to their name, I try to get their email address first and then exchange texts to get their phone number).  Craigslist might take longer unless your price is low but in the S. California area you have a large population to draw from, and once you have cash (not check or PayPal) in hand the deal is final.  Good luck!

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 05:42:49 PM »
In the meantime, I plan to investigate Sam Ash and Greene Music locally - and maybe even Guitar Center - to see if a trade in/exchange is offered.

Hi --

I have traded in gear at Guitar Center. For major purchases, I often wait for one of their trade in, trade up events where they offer an additional 15% discount.

One tip. Sometimes a particular store location is loaded with a particular type of instrument or piece of pro audio gear. That location may not be willing to make the trade. Fortunately, you live in and near a large metro area with multiple GC locations. If one location doesn't work, then there are other locations to try.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline illllm

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 11:01:38 AM »
I never trade anything in GC. They offer 1/3 of the market value, so they can sell it for market value. I always sell on Craig’s list. Craigslist has Safe-trade zones in local police stations. You can look up the safe trade zone for your location in google. I always trade there under the watchful eye of the police and security cameras.

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 12:57:22 PM »
My advice is some of the same use Craigslist.   I have sold my T5-76, T4, Korg Pa800, Roland G70, Korg Pa2x Pro s900 and s910 all on Craigslist at a good price.   Here’s the catch I never allow anyone to come to my home.  I have met people in pizza restaurants, office supply stores, a Home Depot, an office building, Panera Bread and even a Dunkin Donuts.  I always meet in a public building.  Of course since the buyer wants to play and listen you need a public venue that will allow you to use power.   When I sold my T5-76 we met in front of a Staples Office Supply store. I went in and asked the manager whether we could rent for a few minutes the area that has a workstation.   The manager was kind enough to say just bring the keyboard in set it up on that table and plug it in.     One other thing I live in the North East about an hour from Boston so i have large target market that will see my advertising.  My s900 actually was bought by a student at the Berkeley College of Music in Boston.

One more thing if you can avoid trading in it’s not a good idea, once upon a time I worked selling pianos and organs, customers came in with trades all the time but in order for minimum profit margins to be met we never could really offer what an instrument might have been worth. 

Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:02:32 PM by stephenm52 »
GENOS, Clavinova CVP 307, PSR s970, Korg Pa4x-76
PSR Performer Page  -  Steve's Gig Disks[/u]

Offline Lloyd E

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 01:07:42 PM »
Craigslist is a good place to sell as I have sold a few keyboards there with good luck. I would not hesitate any longer than you need to as there will be many Tyros 5 boards for sale and the competition will increase as prices decrease.   Lloyd
Music is the way to go

Offline adrianed

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 10:34:03 PM »
Hi Tom,
My suggestion is do not sell your t5 yet if at all
So far I am not impressed with what I have seen and heard regarding the Genos

Make sure you are happy with Genos before selling your T5 in case you like the T5 better

Adrian

Offline dunbar7376

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2017, 02:41:55 AM »
Thank you, Adrian.

And thank you to all for the very good advice (so far - there may be more), particularly to move forward thoughtfully and cautiously.

Even though there is no real urgency, my exploring options is borne out of both the excitement a new product launch brings, and the notion that the resale value of a used T5 probably will not be any higher than in the next few months.

In other words, though I am happy with the Genos information and presentations *so far* on the internet, my purchasing it will indeed be influenced by what I may sell my T5-76 (which I LOVE) for, and what kind of deal I can get for a new Genos.

So, taking the thoughtful advice so far on this topic in this forum, my plan in the next few days is to post an offer on Craigslist for a certain $US (still deciding) amount, and on eBay for even more.

I own a small retail store in San Diego where Craigslist prospects can check out the Tyros 5 without visiting my home. In this case, it will be a cash only, all negotiations final scenario.

On eBay, I will probably list it higher, with an "or best offer" option so that I can screen interested parties who make offers below my list price. I also have the luxury of an established eBay account with over 700 positive feedbacks and a 100% rating.

The final part of the equation is purchasing the Genos. Unless subsequent reviews and feedback from users deter me from buying it at all, I will likely acquire it from the same supplier as my T5. This large online seller of musical equipment offers a 30-day money back guarantee, free shipping, no sales tax and same as cash financing. Ironically, my payoff for the T5 (plus some other musical equipment) is on November 1st, the expected arrival by date of new Genoses to the US.

Wish me luck.

In the meantime, I will be monitoring this forum, Yamaha's site and youtube daily for ongoing updates on this new machine.

Tom Marvan / dunbar7376

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 03:40:03 AM »
Thank you, Adrian.

So, taking the thoughtful advice so far on this topic in this forum, my plan in the next few days is to post an offer on Craigslist for a certain $US (still deciding) amount, and on eBay for even more.

I own a small retail store in San Diego where Craigslist prospects can check out the Tyros 5 without visiting my home. In this case, it will be a cash only, all negotiations final scenario.

On eBay, I will probably list it higher, with an "or best offer" option so that I can screen interested parties who make offers below my list price. I also have the luxury of an established eBay account with over 700 positive feedbacks and a 100% rating.

The final part of the equation is purchasing the Genos. Unless subsequent reviews and feedback from users deter me from buying it at all, I will likely acquire it from the same supplier as my T5. This large online seller of musical equipment offers a 30-day money back guarantee, free shipping, no sales tax and same as cash financing. Ironically, my payoff for the T5 (plus some other musical equipment) is on November 1st, the expected arrival by date of new Genoses to the US.

Wish me luck.

In the meantime, I will be monitoring this forum, Yamaha's site and youtube daily for ongoing updates on this new machine.

Tom Marvan / dunbar7376

Tom, wishing you good luck, you are certainly in a great position having an established eBay record and having a store where buyers can demo the T5-76.   Keep us posted on how it all works out.
GENOS, Clavinova CVP 307, PSR s970, Korg Pa4x-76
PSR Performer Page  -  Steve's Gig Disks[/u]