Author Topic: Is the glass half empty or half full....  (Read 655 times)

Online Tommy 73

Is the glass half empty or half full....
« on: October 08, 2017, 03:46:33 AM »
I have Montage & korg PA4X (Genos could be a contender pending some time playing and studying which is all personal preference)... So i feel to say most important of all is the positive effects of playing or creating Music with whatever type of keyboard we may have and that is what matters most of all... So who ever you are or wherever your background with music you maybe from and with out diminishing anybody... then the instruments we use are just the vehicles to get us to that destination and both Concepts mentioned here together or on their own are great ways to do that ... Music is the language of the Universe ((((A@424hz)))) and the language of music can cross many barriers and that is what this world needs more than ever to save us from are self.......Great forum  :)
((((A@424HZ))))

Online EileenL

Re: Is the glass half empty or half full....
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 04:05:04 AM »
Well said Tommy,
   For myself I have just retired from Playing out. At 81 is was getting more like hard work than pleasure.
Now I intend to just sit at Genos and enjoy exploring all its new features and have great fun losing myself in playing the music I like and not what an audience wants. Cant wait.

Offline ash1

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 04:13:33 AM »
all i know is music has seen me through many tough times in my life whether listening to it or playing it
so for me music is a great medicine it heals the soul
its the greatest therapy in the world and its universal

all the best ash1
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:15:33 AM by ash1 »

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 04:17:08 AM »
It must not be easy for a gigger to choose between a PA4X and a Genos, I guess. :D

Jeff
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:18:46 AM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Online EileenL

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 04:28:40 AM »
Yes Ash,
   You are so right. Music has many magic ingredients.

Offline Del B

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 04:40:42 AM »
Eileen
I think that you will not miss the gigging scene and you will absolutley enjoy exploring your Genos and playing what you want to play.

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 04:44:22 AM »
all i know is music has seen me through many tough times in my life whether listening to it or playing it

all the best ash1

For me it's all about the creative possibilities, whenever I sit down with my modest home studio set-up. I can remember when recording studios, lush orchestras, top-of-the-line instruments, etc, were the exclusive purview of the privileged, rich and famous. If you lived in a time before the revolution that was MIDI you'll understand.

When I sit with a keyboard like the Tyros (and soon the Genos) I'm empowered to become the composer/producer I could once only dream about. I have entire symphony orchestras at my disposal, an unimaginably vast library of instruments...the creative possibilities seem endless, perhaps even overwhelming. When I factor in additional, complementary assets such as soft synths like Omnisphere... once you pair things like that with an arranger such as Tyros or Genos the rabbit hole goes very, very deep...

But that creative possibility is, I think, in the end what we all crave.
Yamaha Tyros 5 | Roland A-800 Pro | Cubase 9 Elements | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape & Stylus RMX | Arturia Spark 2 | Yamaha APX 700II 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Offline ash1

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 04:47:17 AM »
thanks EileenL
i know your patiently waitng like many people on the forum for you Genos to arrive
i have your tyros dvd i use that as my reference when i get stuck i know a lot of people appreciated you making that
i dont know if its still available but for any new tyros arranger player a must buy  :)
yamaha should have included that when they were selling the tyros range

all the best ash1

Offline Bachus

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 04:55:42 AM »

all the best ash1

Music indeed is great medicine..
Wheni play it relieves me from all the stress
After playing music i feel like reborn..

Back to the orriginal question..
My glass is allways half full,
I can and do enjoy whats in the glass
Yet my goal is to get the glass full again

Thats why i am allways critical..but also try to be constructive
Being critical on myself but also critical for others.

Keyszone.boards.net for all the latest keyboard news and information.

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 05:15:19 AM »
Talking about being critical ... why is the Genos so much higher in price than a Tyros5 ?

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline ash1

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 05:16:39 AM »
hi Bachus very true nothing wrong with being constructively critical
i am the same way even if that means your voice ends up in the minority
i think as long as we are positivley critical then things might and can change
my glass is always half full im ever the optimist one day it will be a full glass

all the best ash1

Offline ash1

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 05:22:30 AM »
i dont know about the Genos jeff
i do think the brexit in the uk has made everything price wise a lot dearer
i dont know if it affects other countries around the world regarding price
is the price cheaper in other countries or is it just 4500 across the board

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 05:32:24 AM »
The Genos XXL costs almost 5.000,-- Euro over here, Ash.
Same T5 stand, same music stand and almost same speaker set.

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline alans

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 05:44:07 AM »
Talking about being critical ... why is the Genos so much higher in price than a Tyros5 ?

Jeff

Hi Jeff

I think it is physicological thing ,if we pay more,it must be better .eh!
All that new technology has to be paid for,plus there is inflation,currency exchange rate , higher costs etc etc.

Alan

Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 and KN7000

Online DavidB

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 05:47:16 AM »
i dont know about the Genos jeff
i do think the brexit in the uk has made everything price wise a lot dearer
i dont know if it affects other countries around the world regarding price
is the price cheaper in other countries or is it just 4500 across the board

I don't know if it's brexit or some other cause but there's no doubt something has affected Yamaha pricing in the UK.

18 Months ago I bought a brand new CVP 709 for 5200. That was the normal retail price at the time. The current retail price of the exact same instrument is 7300. That's clearly not just inflation but something that must have affected the exchange rate.

Regards,

Offline ash1

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2017, 05:49:22 AM »
hi jeff i know EileenL said she would be using her tyros stand so that would be good 200 saved
everything price wise seems to be high these days its ridicoulous
i think yamaha should cut the loyal customers a bit of slack
or at least throw in a at the very least a bonus bundle
thats what the guys at tyros tipsters and other dealers did when they were trying to get rid of stock with the tyros 5
im sure the Genos buyers would really appreciate that a lot
will that happen do pigs fly

Offline Bachus

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 05:51:01 AM »
I don't know if it's brexit or some other cause but there's no doubt something has affected Yamaha pricing in the UK.

18 Months ago I bought a brand new CVP 709 for 5200. That was the normal retail price at the time. The current retail price of the exact same instrument is 7300. That's clearly not just inflation but something that must have affected the exchange rate.

Regards,

The pound is slowly loosing grount to dollar, euro and yen..
probably cause dby the Brexit...
This makes the Genos is the UK much more expensive

Offline ash1

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 05:51:52 AM »
hi DavidB that is shocking
if im going to get a Genos i better get 2 more big saving jars out  :)

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 06:02:41 AM »
Jeff, as far as I can see, the Genos is the same price as the T5 here in Canada. Both retail at $5,999. I bought the T5 with 76 keys. The 61 key version was only $300 less.
Current Gear: Tyros 5, Nord Electro 5D, SoundCraft mixer, two Bose L1 Compact speakers, 15 inch subwoofer designed and built by myself, Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, Cubase 8 Artist, Steinberg UR-44 sound interface.

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 06:35:30 AM »
Hi Lee,

That is good news for all Canadian Yamaha Genos high end arranger keyboard owners unless their T5 price was too high.
😄

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Online EileenL

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2017, 07:30:05 AM »
It is as always. You have to shop around. The deals are out there. We also must remember that Tyros 5 is now four years old. A lot has happened to exchange rates and raised taxes plus the cost of fuel which affects everything we buy. We would have been very foolish if we did not expect Genos to be higher in price.
  If you really decide you like the keyboard and you have the money then go for it as you are a long time dead.

Online Tommy 73

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2017, 08:03:04 AM »
As we fill are time eagerly anticipating Genos as they make their way around the world through the shipping companys and as we debate..discuss.. analyse and generally chat with the time before they arrived (I for one am very much looking fwd to trying Genos)... here is a little extract from someone  who inspired me as a young lad..so to continue the theme of this thread  https://youtu.be/lg_iSupMO60
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 08:13:31 AM by Tommy 73 »
((((A@424HZ))))

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2017, 08:22:56 AM »
I may be a fool but it is not self-evident prices are always increasing after a certain period of time.

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Online EileenL

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2017, 11:32:38 AM »
Just look at car prices Jeff look at the prices in your super markets look at the spares for computer parts. All constantly on the rise.

Offline Bachus

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2017, 11:46:16 AM »
Just look at car prices Jeff look at the prices in your super markets look at the spares for computer parts. All constantly on the rise.

Actually computer part prices keep going up and falling down based on the market..
Sometimes memmory is really cheep, and a year later its quite expensive again
Prices in supermarkets have been stable for years, instead of making customers pay more, the supermarket force deliverers to sell cheeper..

Prices are mostly driven by what customers can and want to pay.

Offline ash1

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2017, 12:01:20 PM »
i think its a mixed bag prices here in the uk seem to me to be going up all the time
the bigger the item the higher the price
supermarkets they take stock of whats popular and add a price rise on those goods
and when people stop buying it they lower the price again
i know electric and gas  prices in the uk have gone through the roof
also you then have to consider the internet shopping these days
buying a musical instrument be it a guitar or keboard or any instrument online can be cheaper than walking into your local music dealer
as the internet dosent seem to have the overheads the dealers have
i guess thats why after 30 years in business my local music shop is shutting down
brexit in my opinion will put prices even higher once we finaly leave europe
so in conclusion EileenL and Bachus are both right in what they say
i guess its all about supply and demand  and who is willing to pay the price

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:06:41 PM by ash1 »

Offline pjd

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2017, 03:13:45 PM »
In last year's annual report to investors, Yamaha stated that profitability was hurt by changes in currency exchange rates. If you're a spreadsheet person, the loss is quite apparent and significant.

In response, Yamaha have evaluated and adjusted prices everywhere.

The annual report is public and is available on the Yamaha global corporate site under "Investor Relations."

-- pj

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2017, 03:56:43 PM »
Hard to believe considering the pathetic job they're doing so far to promote their new baby, the Genos. It's like they're saying, "We want your money, but only on our schedule."

That's not how the real world works. Let us hear the darn thing!!! I'm sure it will sell itself. Meanwhile, Yamaha can pull all those pathetic demo videos that cater to an extremely small market. It's us older folks who have the money at hand to write the check.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 05:32:20 AM by Lee Batchelor »
Current Gear: Tyros 5, Nord Electro 5D, SoundCraft mixer, two Bose L1 Compact speakers, 15 inch subwoofer designed and built by myself, Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, Cubase 8 Artist, Steinberg UR-44 sound interface.

Offline rimek72

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 03:30:13 AM »
Absolutely agree with what has being said.

The price is driven by the level that customer will agree to pay for a goods.

I'm using Yamaha keyboard arrangers last 20 year (prior different brands like Teachnis, Korg, Kawai).
I'm considering to upgrade from my Tyros 4, and was waiting for Genos, as i was planning to select better one  from PA4X and Genos
First look into Genos specification and demos led me to the conclusion that PA4x could be better choice as has better creativity and comparable sounds.
GENOS brings what we already discussed and for live control during gigging could be a bit limited to PA4X.(usually trying to get all what is possible from arranger)

Yesterday I finally used reference speaker systems to listen carefully  PA4x and GENOS, and found that GENOS sounding is a much different to Tyros line reached with a good selective sound.
well that a big advantage as we are talking about instrument.

To conclude:
in the context of GENOS the glass seems to be half full, I think that it could be fully full is Yamaha listens that forum and will provide some firmware upgrades like Korg does (to close the gap in my opinion on the life control and few minor things too)
going to wait a while to touch/play with GENOS some time and compare with PA4X.
If it is sounds so good like Yamaha demos indicates, than it could be my primary choice, but I will wait for some price promotion too as current prices is a bit too high fro me, hoping that over time Yamaha will decide to decrease price at least for limited time  ;)

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 03:40:27 AM »

I'm using Yamaha keyboard arrangers last 20 year (prior different brands like Teachnis, Korg, Kawai).
I'm considering to upgrade from my Tyros 4, and was waiting for Genos, as i was planning to select better one  from PA4X and Genos
First look into Genos specification and demos led me to the conclusion that PA4x could be better choice as has better creativity and comparable sounds.
GENOS brings what we already discussed and for live control during gigging could be a bit limited to PA4X.(usually trying to get all what is possible from arranger)

Yesterday I finally used reference speaker systems to listen carefully  PA4x and GENOS, and found that GENOS sounding is a much different to Tyros line reached with a good selective sound.
well that a big advantage as we are talking about instrument.

My 2 pennies worth. From what I've experienced if someone has been a Yamaha player for many years, moving to a Pa4x may not be the best choice.   With this release of Genos that may be your better choice but  if you can get a hands on demo of both that could really help you decide.
Yamaha  Clavinova CVP 307, PSR s970, Korg Pa4x-76
PSR Performer Page  -  Steve's Gig Disks

Offline rimek72

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2017, 03:56:44 AM »
stephenm52

thank you for you suggestion that's makes a lot of sense

what You wrote is exactly why I haven't moved to PA4X, and was waiting for GENOS.

in the past I upgraded my arranger every other model and all the time tried to use as much as I was capable from the new one.
each time it took me several months, to understand a new functions and use them effectively for my fun and needs.
jumping to new brand requires much more work, that's why my strategy will be to wait a while and visit a big music shop before final decision

kind regards
Rimek72

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2017, 04:14:44 AM »
Well said Tommy,
   For myself I have just retired from Playing out. At 81 is was getting more like hard work than pleasure.
Now I intend to just sit at Genos and enjoy exploring all its new features and have great fun losing myself in playing the music I like and not what an audience wants. Cant wait.

It Is like my Dad said to me when he was 80 "The minds willing ,but the body ain't"

You still have to keep fit as you can, but at your own pace.
I'm 66 now and the aches and pains are just starting.

Well Eileen ,you can have a few large Gin and Tonics now!!! :) ;D

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2017, 04:16:23 AM »
Very wise words Tommy, and I often feel these days that if certain people who drove trucks into crowds of people had more music in their lives they wouldn't have filled their heads full of so much rubbish. ;)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:17:26 AM by organaut »

Online Tommy 73

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2017, 05:04:03 AM »
Very wise words Tommy, and I often feel these days that if certain people who drove trucks into crowds of people had more music in their lives they wouldn't have filled their heads full of so much rubbish. ;)
hi organaut is are friend with the soldering iron (love the you tube videos) chancing one eye on Genos or is Montage keeping him busy?  :)
((((A@424HZ))))

The following users thanked this post: organaut

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2017, 05:17:44 AM »
Hi Tommy, I've just passed your message to him. He says thanks for your kind comments on his videos. :D    He is has fallen into the Genos temptation while we've been watching Martin Harris but wants to wait for maybe a lower price.This would mean that when our friends at the organ club ask if we have bought one. We reply "no" we've bought two 8)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 05:19:48 AM by organaut »