Author Topic: USB Flash Drive Size  (Read 490 times)

Offline DavidB

USB Flash Drive Size
« on: October 08, 2017, 03:23:16 AM »
Just curious what size USB flash drives prospective Genos owners imagine they'll be using, especially in the hidden, screwed shut connector in the bottom.

8 to 256Gb seem fairly realistically priced and available although of course there's the Kingston 2Tb module. Mind you, I'm not sure this would physically fit and you need to spend around 1500 to buy one. Even their 1Tb module is around 900.

I'm thinking if I stick a 256Gb one in there I'll never need to look at again but just wondered on others thoughts.
Just don't mention Genos USB drive letter assignments :)

Offline alans

Re: USB Flash Drive Size
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 03:37:11 AM »
I'll probably stick in a 64gb,should be plenty for me.I know others will want more storage space .

Do we know up to what size Genos supports?

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000 and Tyros5

Offline DavidB

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 03:48:04 AM »
The manual doesn't say anything about size limitations, only that it supports USB 1.1 to 3.0.

Regards,

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 04:00:04 AM »
I think this will be a question asked at many of the Demo's members are going to. I certainly will ask and then stick to either Verbatim, Kingston or Sandisk as these have always proved reliable in the past .

Offline Bachus

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 05:06:20 AM »
When deciding which ones to use, make sure that you buy a fast one..

I think for the Genos a 256 GB sticks should do the trick as internal stick..
And several smaller ones for external use.
Keyszone.boards.net for all the latest keyboard news and information.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 04:18:30 AM »
A 256 USB will work fine but you can of course use smaller ones if you choose to. You will still also have two USB ports Front and Back to use. You will no longer use the dongle as it is now inside Genos.

Offline alans

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 04:45:14 AM »
A 256 USB will work fine but you can of course use smaller ones if you choose to. You will still also have two USB ports Front and Back to use. You will no longer use the dongle as it is now inside Genos.

Eileen ,it is not yet clear whether a dongle is required ,as was on T5,the manual , (Genos) refers to a WLAN device ,maybe this only applies to Midi,for other functions ie.communicating with iPad, perhaps a dongle is not required.
Perhaps Yamaha will clarify this in time

Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 , KN7000 and Tyros5

Offline Kari V

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 05:11:12 AM »
Eileen ,it is not yet clear whether a dongle is required ,as was on T5,the manual , (Genos) refers to a WLAN device ,maybe this only applies to Midi,for other functions ie.communicating with iPad, perhaps a dongle is not required.

Yes the MD-BT01 and UD-BT01 are Bluetooth dongles used for MIDI, see

MD-BT01:
Bluetooth wireless MIDI adaptor for connecting instruments with MIDI IN/OUT terminals to your iOS devices (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch) or Mac

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/accessories/md-bt01/index.html

UD-BT01:
Bluetooth wireless MIDI adaptor for connecting instruments with a USB TO HOST terminal to your iOS devices (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch) or Mac

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical_instruments/pianos/accessories/ud-bt01/index.html

Offline DavidB

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 05:43:31 AM »

The wireless (Bluetooth) MD-BT01 midi adapter is an external device (dongle if you like) that plugs into the midi ports and looks as attached.

The wireless (Bluetooth) UD-BT01 midi adapter is a USB device that serves the same purpose but instead uses a USB port.

For connection to a wireless network a dongle/usb adapter is NOT required as the necessary hardware is built-in (dependant on region) per the CLP/CVP ranges etc.

I know it's confusing but bluetooth is a short range wireless connection that shouldn't be confused with wi-fi/WLAN (Wireless Local Area Network).

Regards,
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 05:46:32 AM by DavidB »

Offline pjd

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 06:05:43 AM »
When deciding which ones to use, make sure that you buy a fast one.

This bears repeating. Thanks, Bachus.

The critical speed is the write speed. If the write speed is too slow, then you will get errors when recording WAV audio. Doesn't matter if it's USB 1.1, 2.0 or even 3.0.

I got burned by this over the weekend while recording some songs. The drive in question is an 8GB Lexar S50. The drive is perfectly adequate for playing WAV, but the S50 would rather quickly choke when recording to it. I went back to my trusty 2GB Yamaha-branded drive (part of a Survival Kit) and recorded without error.

The biggest problem for us as consumers -- USB drive manufacturers do not always state the drive speed, read or write. That's why we wind up relying on each other for advice or look to device compatibility charts written by Yamaha.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 07:05:41 AM »
Hi Alans,
  The dongle will no longer be required as it is built into Genos. Also I was talking to one of the tech guys today and he is using a 256Gb Sandisk USB stick in there workshop Genus no problem. I think with the internal memory and this you will have plenty, plus you can still use the two other USB ports with USB sticks as well.

The following users thanked this post: alans, DavidB

Offline alans

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 07:08:22 AM »
Thanks Eileen

At least we know now 😁😁

Alan