Author Topic: Recording with DGX660 (Cubase, RME DIGI9632)  (Read 380 times)

Offline Bigzig

Recording with DGX660 (Cubase, RME DIGI9632)
« on: October 08, 2017, 01:19:06 AM »
Hi all,
let me introduce myself before. I am a really new owner of a DGX660, I have changed from an older S90 to this piano. Until today I worked with a RME DIG9632 to create music. I am now a little bit confused because I assumed that the Audio- and Midi Connections will all be the same - my faut...
I found now an USB Interface for MIDI and no Audio out to connect with my Computer (Cubase).

Is there anyone out there who works with those stuff (Cubase, Computer, DGX) ? Maybe it is quite easy, but I didn't install those things in the last 5 years, because with my S90 everything worked well and there was no need to change everything.
Would be very nice if anyone could take me by the hand for the first steps....
Thank you in advance..
Martin

Offline vbdx66

Re: Recording with DGX660 (Cubase, RME DIGI9632)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 05:32:21 AM »
Hi Martin and welcome to the forum  8)

The standard MIDI In and Out sockets of the S90 have been replaced by USB MIDI on the DGX 660. To use MIDI with Cubase simply connect the USB to Host port of the DGX 660 to any USB port of your computer with a standard USB printer cable (the cable you would use to connext your printer to your computer). Maybe you will need to download a MIDI driver, if it is the case you will find it on Yamaha’s website on the page dedicated to the DGX 660.

There are no dedicated stereo audio outputs on the DGX 660 but you can use the earphones socket with an adaptor to record the audio signal which is coming from the DGX 660 through the RME DIG9632.

I don’t know this interface in particular, maybe you could also ask a question about it in this other section of the forum, which is entitled “Other Accessory Hardware”:

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/board,8.0.html

Hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Vinciane.
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650

Offline Bigzig

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 04:38:41 AM »
Tnx, Vinciane, I will try this

Martin

Offline Bigzig

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 07:59:30 AM »
Pooh, I am afraid I bought something wrong, my fault......
I have tried the headphone output, but this signal is really much too low to use it with audio recording.

Is there really no chance to get the audio signal out of the DGX? That cannot not be possible with a brand new instrument with brand new technology - but I confess, I had to ask more before I bought...
Maybe anyone else has another idea.....Midi is not my world :(

Martin

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 09:44:20 AM »
Martin, see pages 20 and 58 of the Owner's Manual:

Page 20 -- "The PHONES/OUTPUT jack also functions as an external output. You can connect the PHONES/OUTPUT jack to a keyboard amplifier, stereo system, mixer, tape recorder, or other line-level audio device to send the instrument’s output signal to that device.
"Optimum setting
"Output gain level for this jack is set to a value suitable for connecting headphones, as the default setting. You can switch this to the value suitable for connecting an external audio device. For details on how to switch the value, see page 58."

Page 58 -- "Setting the Output Gain Level
"Output gain level for the PHONES/OUTPUT jack can be switched among three values: one suitable for a headphone and the other two for a connected external audio device.
"1 Press the [FUNCTION] button.
"2 Press the CATEGORY [<<] or [>>] button several times until “Output Gain” appears.
"3 Use the dial to select the desired setting (below).
"Headphones | Select this when using headphones. The output gain level is set to an optimum value headphones connection. When “Headphones” is selected and external audio equipment is connected to the PHONES/OUTPUT jack, distortion may be produced.
"Line Out | Select this when using external audio equipment. The output gain level can be adjusted by the [MASTER VOLUME] control of the instrument.
"Fixed | Select this when using external audio equipment. The output gain level is fixed at the same level, regardless of the position of instrument's [MASTER VOLUME] control."

I don't know which setting is selected now, but try the different options to see which one gives you the best results.

My PSR-E/YPT keyboards are very similar; they also use the PHONES/OUTPUT jack for transmitting audio to a computer. I use an inexpensive Behringer UCA-222 audio interface, which converts the analog audio to digital and sends it to the computer over USB, although you can of course use a much more expensive audio interface instead.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Bigzig

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 12:59:45 PM »
Ooops, I am ashamed - that happens if someone is too fast in doing something.

Many thanks, I must confirm I thought I am old enough to use such stuff without reading a manual in details. I apologize and lift my hat - thanks a lot, I will try and enjoy :)

Martin

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 04:59:18 PM »
Don't beat yourself up about it, Martin! This issue comes up every so often, so you aren't the only person who's had a problem with it. Besides, I don't think anyone actually reads an Owner's Manual from cover to cover. :)
Michael Rideout

Offline Bigzig

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 04:34:37 AM »
Well, after all I have tried it and I am a bit disappointed due to the mini signal output. I have tried to improve it via changing the equilizer or other parameters, but there is nearly no peak in my cubase audio track. Do I have to use a mixer or a pre-amp or is there another possibility to increase the output gain of the headphone output?

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 04:59:08 AM »
Hi Martin!

What (type of) cable do you use?
How are you connecting to the RME sound card  ?
Maybe there is a boost option in the Driver of this soundcard?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 06:25:54 AM by s_cristi »
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR S770  8)

Offline Bigzig

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 06:45:07 AM »
I use the original break-out cable with Audio In/Out, Midi In/Out and Headphon. I connect with shielded stereo jacks as I did before with my Yamaha S90 - without any problems.
Thanks for coming back to me...

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 06:06:36 AM »
I use the original break-out cable with Audio In/Out, Midi In/Out and Headphon. I connect with shielded stereo jacks as I did before with my Yamaha S90 - without any problems.
Thanks for coming back to me...

I believed you used the 2 mono line outs of the S90 (R and L/Mono), not the Phones output.
So there must be a difference in the way you connect to the RME audio interface.
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR S770  8)

Offline mbriggs

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 02:31:50 PM »
Martin

You need one of these:

Amazon sells it for $5.45 USD

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YPP-117-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B000068O54

You connect your RME DIGI-9632 breakout cable to it the same as connecting it to your S90's LEFT/MONO-RIGHT LINE OUT jacks, then connect the other end to the DGX-660's PHONES jack.  It is not "exactly" right, because your 9632 breakout cable is BALANCED and the S90 and DGX-660's outputs are UNBALANCED, which is why connecting the 9632's breakout cable directly to the DGX-660's PHONES jack without this adapter really does not work at all, but this will work at least as well as what you had with the S90, and avoids your having to discard the 9632's balanced breakout cable and laying out $90 to $130 for the unbalanced one, which would really be the electrically and sonically correct thing to do, but as I said above, this adapter will set up your DGX-660 to work with the 9632 the same as (and as well as) the S90 did.

Matt
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 02:52:05 PM by mbriggs »

Offline Bigzig

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 07:06:36 AM »
That's curios, because the cable that I have is called as "unbalanced".

Offline mbriggs

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 10:52:49 AM »
Sorry for the misunderstanding, Martin.  The RME website lists the 9632 interface as providing 4 balanced inputs/outputs, so I assumed that it came with the default balanced breakout cable, but that is all beside the point, at this stage.  You were able to get what you currently have to work with the S90, so we should be able to get it to work with the DGX-660 with the proper adapter cable.  Based on the image you have attached, this would be the adapter cable you need.  It is a 10 foot cable that Amazon sells for $8.40.  It is a Hosa brand, which is currently one of the top brands:

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-TRS-203-inch-Insert-Cable/dp/B000068O1L/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1508435692&sr=8-6&keywords=1%2F4+trs+to+rca

You would connect the 1/4 inch TRS plug to the DGX-660 PHONES jack, the red RCA plug to one of the 9632 red leads, and the black RCA plug to one of the white 9632 leads.  Now, RME indicates that the 9632 RCA connections can be configured as either inputs or outputs, so you would need to ensure that the 9632 leads that you connect this adapter cable to are configured as inputs.  If you can still tell which ones you had connected to the S90, just reuse those, as they were working OK, but otherwise you may have to do some experimenting.  You just need to ensure that you get the red adapter lead connected to a 9632 right channel input, and the black adapter lead connected to a 9632 left channel input.

By any chance, if you have been trying to connect that black PHONES connection from the 9632 breakout cable to the DGX-660's PHONES jack, that will not work, because the PHONES connector on the 9632 breakout cable is a PHONES output, not a signal input.

Good luck !

Matt
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 11:22:43 AM by mbriggs »

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 12:19:23 PM »
I use that cable, Hosa TRS to RCA stereo, but mine isn't the 10-foot version. It works great for connecting my PSR-E443 to a Behringer UCA-222 audio interface.
Michael Rideout

Offline mbriggs

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2017, 05:06:09 PM »
Thanks for the comment, Michael.  I have been sold on Hosa cables and adapters for some years now.  They are reasonably priced, but still of good quality.  I suggested the 10 foot version for Martin so he isn't having to fool with extensions if the 6 foot version is a bit too short for his set up.  His main problem is going be deciding which of those four RCA connections of that RME breakout cable to connect it too.  RME is really not very explicit about which lead does what.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 05:07:42 PM by mbriggs »