Author Topic: Compatible?  (Read 847 times)

Offline opticat

Compatible?
« on: October 07, 2017, 05:58:56 AM »
Wondering if the Genos is backwards compatible with the T5. Hate to lose all the registrations I worked on for the past years.

Sorry, I see that this has already been addressed.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:00:47 AM by opticat »

Offline EileenL

Re: Compatible?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 07:01:00 AM »
Yes it is and styles and multi pads. They will all work in Genos.

Offline rattley

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 03:06:12 PM »
Is anyone aware if the Yamaha Tyros 5 stand (L-7S) is sufficient for Genos?   What about the speaker system??  Thanks.     -charley

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 03:30:03 PM »
Yes it is the same stand as used for Tyros only black in colour. I shall spray mine Matt black. The speakers on Genos have been upgraded and are also black.

Offline Kari V

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 01:15:04 AM »
What about the speaker system??  Thanks.     -charley

You can connect the Tyros 5 speakers to the Genos in the same way as to the Tyros 5. You do this with the T5 speaker cable, and they will work, similarly as the T4 speakers, see
http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,40234.0.html

Now I must confess that I find this "job" of informing people that they can continue to use their old speakers a bit boring.

On the other hand, let's remember that the Genos sounds better than the Tyros models. So when using the new Yamaha speakers (GNS-MS01) with no refrence, it is difficult to say how much improvement the speakers have. This has been the case for every Tyros model as far as I can remember: it has always been said that the new speakers are better, while in practise the speakers have remained practically the same.

The best way would be to compare the old and new speakers, but that may be difficult to arrange.

Anyway, I'll continue to use my Yamaha studio monitor speakers with the Genos (when it becomes available): there's no point in switching to weaker speakers.

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 01:45:51 AM »
Yes Kari Studio Monitors are for sure better.

The new genos speakers are real new, and that was Necessary
YAMAHA took the last 15 tyros years the old  YST MS 50 System ... with small mods for trs-ms.

Was o.k. But Never a real new System .

Greetings Frank
Tyros Support in Germany

Offline rattley

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 03:15:48 PM »
Thank you.     -charley

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 03:58:27 PM »
Hi Frank
I hear that the Genos speaker system Is much improved and better than the Tyros speaker .
Now you say that studio monitors are much better.
I want the best sound out of the Genos, So what would be better than the genos speakers from your point of view for a small 10 ft x 10 ft studio.
I almost settled on some Hs8's and the Tyros tipsters said that the Genos speakers were great.
You can always turn the volume down On the monitors as you would have plenty of headroom.
So you can run at a quality level.
I would love a warm clear sound with nice presence, not boxy or tinny.

I must admit that the Tyros 5 speakers for me were a little toppy and the bottom boomy, like an expensive radio
You do not get that solid warm sound  out of them with that quality feel.
I really do not want to make a mistake with buying speakers this time around and would pay for top quality especially after hearing the Genos

What do you think about that??

All the Best
John ;D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 04:07:02 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 09:22:17 PM »
Hi Frank
I hear that the Genos speaker system Is much improved and better than the Tyros speaker .
Now you say that studio monitors are much better.
I want the best sound out of the Genos, So what would be better than the genos speakers from your point of view for a small 10 ft x 10 ft studio.
I almost settled on some Hs8's and the Tyros tipsters said that the Genos speakers were great.
You can always turn the volume down On the monitors as you would have plenty of headroom.
So you can run at a quality level.
I would love a warm clear sound with nice presence, not boxy or tinny.

I must admit that the Tyros 5 speakers for me were a little toppy and the bottom boomy, like an expensive radio
You do not get that solid warm sound  out of them with that quality feel.
I really do not want to make a mistake with buying speakers this time around and would pay for top quality especially after hearing the Genos

What do you think about that??

All the Best
John ;D
John why not slower the process down a little and to be realy sure what you are getting when consider any active monitoring system.. so perhaps take Genos to a local pro audio store say PMT or similar and audition the yamaha monitor line as well as some other Brands and not forgetting to use your master fx like EQ + new compressor to shape the sound you like... you could be really surprised at the different results you will here by following this method then you will be able to make a much better informed choice and this will be so worth doing when you have spent all this money on Genos ..buying cold from online recommendation without a proper audition could be a mistake considering in your mind you have a specific sound that you want ...all the best Tommy
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 09:48:01 PM by Tommy 73 »
((((A@424HZ))))

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 09:46:28 PM »

On top of that, you can import your performances
You can even import your music finder records as performance memmories in the Genos.

Also your songs will work just fine
Also your self created sounds should be able to transfer to the Genos.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2017, 04:45:43 PM »

I wonder if this answer also applies to external styles loaded on my T5 or only to factory styles . . . .

I have lots of external styles that i got from different places/users that i use with my songs.

thanks 
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 05:31:51 PM »
I wonder if this answer also applies to external styles loaded on my T5 or only to factory styles . . . .

I have lots of external styles that i got from different places/users that i use with my songs.

thanks

External styles will work as well.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2017, 09:11:29 PM »
Fred

thanks a lot for your response.  I am glad to know.

Have a great day.
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Marcus

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2017, 09:37:52 PM »
Wondering if the Genos is backwards compatible with the T5. Hate to lose all the registrations I worked on for the past years.

Sorry, I see that this has already been addressed.
Here is an interesting thought, (the same thought when I purchased my first Tyros 5), can my previous arranger become forward compatible or at least somewhat upgraded with the new content from the next arranger?

Say for arguments sake that the Genos is 60% the same content as the Tyros 5, features, voices, styles, multipads and whatnot. How much of that Genos 40% new content can now be copied or modified slightly to work on the previous Tyros 5 arranger? I have always worked with a Twinset Arranger setup. Presently I love my Tyros5/Tyros5 twinset, with one Tyros 5 always ready to travel while the other remains parked and all connected in my home studio.

Many keyboardists own more than one keyboard, I just like the advantages of having two Tyros 5s at all times. No strip down hassles at home unless I specifically need my twinset setup to play or enjoy once in a while. Wear and tear is shared, kept in better shape for resale, do all my edits and projects at home and update my traveling board via USB Pen drive. Most importantly, I have a backup keyboard with exact copy of everything, including expansion that I only have to purchase once and the YEM works exactly the same for both boards.

My dilemma, how do I keep a working relationship between two keyboards, if one is different or rather too different to be practical?  Because of the high cost of a new Genos, straight off it wouldn't be prudent to buy two Genos keyboards. I could buy one Genos and sell one of my Tyros 5s to offset the cost. A Genos in my home studio would be fantastic and I can still compromise a bit safeguarding that I only update my traveling Tyros 5 with compatible content that would work.

I can spend the next few months slowly upgrading my transferred Tyros 5 content to the upgraded Genos Voices, styles, and multipads, but only on my Genos. I could then however, reduced that 40% new content to perhaps a 25% or less difference by copying and modifying all the new Genos styles, multipads, and even the arps to work on my Tyros 5. Sure, no arpeggio function on the Tyros 5, but all the Genos Arps, types, and patterns can be made into multipads and then copied and used on a Tyros 5. They would work the same as multipads because both arps and multipads use the tempos and chords that they follow. I think the Genos can only play one arp at a time, however if the pattern is converted to a multipad, one can actually play four arps at a time. No Genos "Live Control" on a Tyros 5, but the Tyros 5 sliders (minis the Genos knobs) are actually live controllers, depending what is active and assigned from the Tyros 5 Mixing Console.

I guess it is kind of a personal dilemma to decide to upgrade to a Genos, yet Yamaha is always stuck in a parallel dilemma trying to create a new replacement keyboard model that is compatible with previous content, yet in a two way street some of the new content can be forward-back compatible to the older model. I am sure a lot of Tyros 4 owners are enjoying a lot of the new Tyros 5 styles that were copied over, of course with some modifications and substitutions to work properly. Can I make a lot of the new Genos content work satisfactory or with reasonable compromise on my Tyros 5, probably, "yes"? In time, the Genos styles, multipads or converted arps can perhaps be made available to work on other Yamaha keyboards, so if I decide not to upgrade to a Genos I only have to wait a couple of months as Genos content is posted.

Copied Genos styles with Revo Drum kits may not work on a Tyros 5, however more than likely the Revokit could be substituted with a regular drum kit in Style Creator, then saved and copied to work on a Tyros 5 (of course with voice substitutions when required). I personally do not need the "Live Control" functions, but new multipads and styles, yes. I don't particularly use an arpeggio maker for my music, but I use Multipad arpeggios, where there are already hundreds made to work or reworked/edited in Multipad Creator.

Actually, with Yamaha already doing the work programming their new Revo drum style parts. With high quality copied audio snippets of each style part, the audio drum file can be made into a REX file and the whole Revo style can be made and reassembled into an exact copy as a REX Audio style version with no loss in audio quality. The only element missing would be wave cycling of the individual drum samples, but in essence would sound pretty close to the original Revo style and made to work on a Tyros 5 via the YEM. A lot of work, but possible. Any new voices or DSPs used in the Genos style or course would have to be substituted with the Tyros 5 equivalent to be copied and work on a Tyros 5.

So back to my dilemma, I could forward-back a nice junk of Genos new content to work on my Tyros 5. I can buy a new Genos and do this myself, or wait till Genos styles/Multipads are copied and posted. A twinset with a black Genos-76 and a silver/grey Tyros5-61 would look like crap, but I would love playing the Genos. Do I upgrade now and then add another Genos later on? Do I spend over $12,000.00 to buy 2 Genos arrangers to replace my Tyros 5s, for maybe 25% difference in content (because some of the Genos content could be made to work on the Tyros 5). Of course I get a large chunk back selling my Tyros 5s.

It is a tough decision. Ensemble is still there, Organ World is still there, and Expansion packs remain the same. I tweaked the Tyros 5 pianos to my liking, but the Genos piano are certainly better. That's basically why I am waiting what the Genos Reference/Data/YEM/Computer Manuals will reveal and whether worth to me upgrading. I try to be practical and face the realities, rather than be influenced on emotion or the hype that something is better or does more than one thinks or hopes.

Marcus   
Gear: Triangle

Offline maartenb

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 10:41:12 AM »
Hi Marcus,

I see your dilemma. Let me add my two cents, with the risk of making it even more difficult for you.  ;) ::)

I've heard the Genos via the 35 short Yamaha videos, and via the two long demos by Martin Harris (for Kraft Music and Sweetwater). Supported by the remarks from the german FrankMusik and the US Frank from Audioworks, who both heard the Genos first hand and who both were very impressed, I have concluded that the Genos does sound a class better than the Tyros 5. The C7 and CFX Grands shine, the sax is fantastic and the Revo drums... my constant drooling is getting annoying.  ;D

Combine the sound quality with the ease of use via the touch screen and I believe you have a keyboard that is so much fun to play, that a Tyros 5 will quickly start collecting dust in a corner. I also expect your audience will love the new sound.

It's very hard, I believe, to have a Genos and then "having" to play on a T5. So I'd bite the bullet and order two Genosses. You can wait till you have seen real world demos and videos, so you make a grounded decision.
The other option is to keep your two Tyros5's and wait a while.

In any case I would NOT combine a Genos with a Tyros. Once you start playing the Genos, there's no way back, I think.

Hope this helps.

Maarten
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 10:42:54 AM by maartenb »