Author Topic: last call on speaker advice  (Read 1010 times)

Offline ugawoga

last call on speaker advice
« on: October 06, 2017, 08:42:46 AM »

This is my big last enquiry.

Would you recomend Genos Speaker System or at best Yamaha HS8's.
A I have now had Maarten say a big yes to Hs8's

Some say Hs5's and sub for smaller rooms

Also is there a  case for the Genos speakers being uprated and sound much better than the Tyros 5's.?

I have heard said that the Hs8's are for precise nearfield monitoring and not preferable for general listening -  like a hi- fi of big quality. -  Is this correct?

I want the best sound quality available for the Genos while there is this opportunity going.

What are your final thoughts  IMAX!!! :o ;D

Online EileenL

• Tyros 5 Plus Stage Pass 300 and S970.
  • PSR Performer
  • Essex UK
    • Eileen's Styles
Re: last call on speaker advice
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 09:27:48 AM »
Hi John,
  I think this is a question you must answer yourself as it is you that will be listening. The Genos speakers have been updated to match the new keyboard and I am sure they will sound just fine for indoor use and will match very well. I think you need to hear them in action and then listen to the others you are thinking of.
   The Tyros 5 speakers were very good but I did not like the fiddly wiring of them or I would have used them all the time.

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 09:31:06 AM »
MY FIRST Call ist : Listen to YOUR EARS :-)

I will sell also Nearfield Monitors with DIGITAL-IN to Genos Users  ... hopefully Yamaha will also build in future ...

The Genos Speakers are better than the Tyros (I had the chance to play on Genos a little bit..)
BUT every Nearfield Speaker mid-range up is BETTER for Sure ....

But don´t use my words, pls use YOUR EARS!

greetings from germany
frank

These days we tested them: http://www.monkey-banana.de/project/turbo-5-aktiver-studiomonitor/?lang=en
Tyros Support in Germany

Online Tommy 73

• Assoc Member
  • Korg PA4X-76 : Roland Integra-7 : Yamaha Montage-7
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 09:37:27 AM »
Hi John the studio monitors I would say.. I think im right in saying with out a proper check ..then use the Genos Master EQ and now including the Genos new Compressor seen in the demo video then there's no reason why you won't get that Hi-Fi Sound you're looking for :)
((((A@424HZ))))

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 02:38:01 PM »
I think from what is said the Genos speakers will suffice
I will go with these as Frank and the Tipsters and Eileen  has said through a listen they are better than the tyros
After all my spare room is 10 ft x 10ft
I will stay with my Tapco S2 monitors for mixing.
If ever I decide to play out ,I will certainly go for a pa system.

Most probably I will stay studio and try to make my own music
The Genos opens up quite a lot with uprated sound alone.
The rest is a bonus. 8)

Thank you all for your advice here. ,much appreciated

all the best
John

Offline billtracy

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 03:30:45 PM »
I think for a small room like that you probably made the right choice since the new speakers have been upgraded. I am in a similar situation-I think my room is 10x7.  Happy listening!
Current Gear: Roland E-A7, KRK Rokit 5s, Voicelive Play.
Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740, Yamaha PSR-1100, Yamaha PSR-S750, Roland BK-3.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 03:49:59 PM »
All The Best Bill 8)
How do those rockets sound???

Do they sound boxy or bland or nice and well rounded???

Just like to know what others use.

All the best
john
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 03:51:49 PM by ugawoga »

Offline billtracy

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 04:17:48 PM »
I think they sound good for 5 inch speakers. I will be adding an 8 inch sub shortly since I have them hooked up to my EA7 at the moment. I used them for mixing previously and they were great for that.
Current Gear: Roland E-A7, KRK Rokit 5s, Voicelive Play.
Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740, Yamaha PSR-1100, Yamaha PSR-S750, Roland BK-3.

Online EileenL

• Tyros 5 Plus Stage Pass 300 and S970.
  • PSR Performer
  • Essex UK
    • Eileen's Styles
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 05:27:15 AM »
Much preferred the sound of the Yamaha speakers to the Rocket speakers. They just did not do it for me.

Offline Marty

• Asst. Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 05:31:23 AM »
The JBL lsr305s get good reviews.

Marty

Online Tommy 73

• Assoc Member
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 06:01:54 AM »
I'm sure the Yamaha dedicated speakers and sub for Genos are good... But I would say in John's room considering size and then setup in a nearfield position using the yamaha 5" studio monitors + sub with the moitors decoupled and with a mains conditioners sold in mapplins for about 40 quid (In the uk) for good measure and as said before with Genos Master EQ + the new compressor feature will then surpass the Genos satellite speakers & sub .... :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 07:00:49 AM by Tommy 73 »
((((A@424HZ))))

Offline Bachus

• If you find my lost posts please bring them back 🎧
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 08:59:27 AM »
MY FIRST Call ist : Listen to YOUR EARS :-)

I will sell also Nearfield Monitors with DIGITAL-IN to Genos Users  ... hopefully Yamaha will also build in future ...

The Genos Speakers are better than the Tyros (I had the chance to play on Genos a little bit..)
BUT every Nearfield Speaker mid-range up is BETTER for Sure ....

But don´t use my words, pls use YOUR EARS!

greetings from germany
frank

These days we tested them: http://www.monkey-banana.de/project/turbo-5-aktiver-studiomonitor/?lang=en

Nice speakers Frank,
I can only find good and better reviews of this brand..

But now come my question..about using the digital out..
Using the digital out of the Genos means younare not using the Genos DAC, but the DAC in the speakers...  which is better, Yamaha’s new 32 bit dac, or the speakers build in dac?

Using the digital,connection to the speakers is not neccesary the best way to use..
If the speaker does digital signal processing of its own, then i can understand this choice..
However, if the speakers signal path is fully analogue, this might not be the wisest choice..

In general its best to use a digital out when on the receiving end, there is partly a digital signal path
Otherwise analogue with high end cables and the Yamaha 32 bit DAC may yield better results
Keyszone.boards.net for all the latest keyboard news and information.

Offline Kari V

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 09:54:06 AM »
A wise man once said "I got 99 problems, but 16 bits ain't one".

24 bit does add more 'resolution' compared to 16 bit but this added resolution doesn't mean higher quality, it just means we can encode a larger dynamic range.

Modern dithering techniques, perceptually enhance the dynamic range of CD by moving the quantisation noise out of the frequency band where our hearing is most sensitive. This gives a percievable dynamic range for CD up to 120dB.

More than 16 bits are useful when processing the sound in order to avoid "rounding errors". Consider adding two 16-bit signals, which reach the highest level possible each. You need 17 bits for that or you get some rounding errors.

In a 16 channel digital mixer, this translates to 20 bit internal accuracy. But if the result is "truncated" to 16 bits, you won't be able to hear the difference.

See: 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded.415361/

Offline Bachus

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 10:02:28 AM »
A wise man once said "I got 99 problems, but 16 bits ain't one".

24 bit does add more 'resolution' compared to 16 bit but this added resolution doesn't mean higher quality, it just means we can encode a larger dynamic range.

Modern dithering techniques, perceptually enhance the dynamic range of CD by moving the quantisation noise out of the frequency band where our hearing is most sensitive. This gives a percievable dynamic range for CD up to 120dB.

More than 16 bits are useful when processing the sound in order to avoid "rounding errors". Consider adding two 16-bit signals, which reach the highest level possible each. You need 17 bits for that or you get some rounding errors.

In a 16 channel digital mixer, this translates to 20 bit internal accuracy. But if the result is "truncated" to 16 bits, you won't be able to hear the difference.

See: 24bit vs 16bit, the myth exploded!
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded.415361/

Sure thing about this discussion...

But which dac delivers the highest quallity output?

With all the attention Yamaha put into the Genos DAC, it might be of higher quallity then the banana speakers...  there is only one way to know which is better.... test it

If the DAC is much better, the extra bits do add something, more dynamics.. i.e. The differences in volume we can hear...  when mixing a loud volume drum.. with a very soft mixed piano... with lower bits you could use the dynamics of the piano sound...

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 12:01:59 PM »
hey Bachus,

With all tht techno     Genos system or HS8's!!!

My burning question!!

EvenIf the Hs8's are powerful you can always tone them down for quality

Does the genos speakers equal quality sound????

Offline Bachus

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 12:07:11 PM »
hey Bachus,

My burning question!!

The only way to find the right speaker for Genos is to test them in a LMS.

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 12:12:01 PM »
@bachus
Let‘s hear :-)

For sure our ears are analog so however there is no way out without d|a

The only way to find the right speaker for Genos is to test them in a LMS.
That is the thing!!!!
Greetings Frank
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 12:13:33 PM by frankmusik »
Tyros Support in Germany

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 12:42:57 PM »
Hi frank
We here Analog . " I believe this is correct  as digital is tinny and toppy.
Me being not an expert the sound of a 70s rock band  totally out performs todays edm music WHY!!!???  "WE LOVE ANALOG" warmer , realistic and true. Enough said !! 8)

With Analog you can feel the music , Digital is for kareoke singers "Look how thin sound is today. Has not got soul.

Come on people ,"Why does vinyl sound far better than CD's"   "ANALOG"!!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 12:48:01 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Kari V

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 12:43:23 PM »
One thing to remember still: the unbalaced interface of the Genos can cause noise problems. Balanced outputs would be much better. The digital out avoids the noise problem.

Concerning the cables: Yes good audio cables are a good idea. However, as Bill Whitlock said:

NO OTHER PRODUCT IS AS SHROUDED IN HYPE AND MYSTERY AS THE AUDIO CABLE!

Expensive and exotic cables, even if double or triple shielded, made of 100% pure unobtainium, and hand-made by a team of virgins, will have NO significant effect on hum and buzz problems!

Offline frankmusik

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 01:26:56 PM »
One thing to remember still: the unbalaced interface of the Genos can cause noise problems. Balanced outputs would be much better. The digital out avoids the noise problem.

Concerning the cables: Yes good audio cables are a good idea. However, as Bill Whitlock said:

NO OTHER PRODUCT IS AS SHROUDED IN HYPE AND MYSTERY AS THE AUDIO CABLE!

Expensive and exotic cables, even if double or triple shielded, made of 100% pure unobtainium, and hand-made by a team of virgins, will have NO significant effect on hum and buzz problems!

Sorry... but..
I have a Noise sniffer to Check the power lines.... you will Never believe how many Noise is only on our power Lines....
And I Tested cables for neutrik Jack with Frequency knob... the Problem was only on Silver cables you Heard- the knob.... on Copper There are NO highs to Reduce :-)

Greetings frank
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 01:25:17 AM by frankmusik »
Tyros Support in Germany

Online Tommy 73

• Assoc Member
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 01:59:46 PM »
Wack a Di box in... standard protocol now we know there are no balanced outputs (radial springs to mind)....use good quality low impedance cables standard protocol .... good mains conditioning never hurts only brings benefits.... I sat in a development room with a very well know cable company for hifi & pro audio recently and to understand the benefits of a good development we need to understand how all the links in any audio chain can be a benefit or a hazard...so for most here then some good basic principles are good for most application that pepole are looking for .. :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 02:08:34 PM by Tommy 73 »
((((A@424HZ))))

Offline Bachus

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 02:34:34 AM »
For those people wanting to buy studio monnitors
This blog might be an interesting read.

http://keyszone.boards.net/thread/467/placing-studio-monitors

Offline alans

• Supporter
  • Assoc Member
  • Tyros 5-76,Casio XW -P1,Waldorf Streichfett
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 03:18:44 AM »
hey Bachus,

My burning question!!

Hi John

I mostly play my Tyros 5 through Tyros speakers only,but last night I tried it with my HS5s only and  can say I was very happy with the sound quality.Of course I realise quality is subjective and what sounds good to me may not be OK for you.My music room is very small 8ft ×6ft so I do not require large speakers .I would think HS8s would give you what you need.
Luckily I have a good quality (Quiklok M 91) keyboard stand that is black and the HS5'S are black so it will all go together nicely.

Alan
Previous keyboards-Yamaha PSR 410,Technics KN2000,KN5000,KN6000 and KN7000

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 03:41:35 AM »
Hi Alans

I have deposit on a deal with the Tyros tipsters which includes the Genos speakers £2225 and that is part Ex for my Tyros 76 key only.
I could stay with that and later get some Hs8's for monitoring.
I will sell the Tyros speakers myself.
I am not sure whether the 1 gig card Is included In my sale ,or I could take that out and sell separately  and that would go a long wy to getting some decent monitors
The Tyros tipsters use Yamaha Hs5's, so Yamaha must be good for monitors and as Bachus states, it is the setting up and eq the speakers.I agree with that, but you can only get the best out of a quality speaker.
I think the Yamaha Hs5's would be simlar to my old Tapco S2 Monitors, but I find them a little boxy sounding to be critical even messing with room controls and eq .
It Is hard to explain the sound you want as everyone is different. I still prefer the sound of Records rather than Cds as records are a lot warmer and better stereo In my view,even with modern bands. Records have that special something. The beauty does come out on 12 Inch singles.
I was listening to how they set up Imax sound In theatres and that Is how I think
There amps are so strong an there speaker systems have lots of headroom as they try to get the low sounds as good as the high sounds.
They do have to go through a lot of processes as you need to hear an Insect crawling on a leaf and at the other end realistic explosions and the audience has to hear both with clarity.
Wouldn't you love Imax in your bedroom!! "EAR PLUGS""
So I always maintained that speakers should be double that at least of an amp for quality at low levels.

All the Best
John
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:52:03 AM by ugawoga »

Offline alans

• Supporter
  • Assoc Member
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 04:18:37 AM »
Hi John

Interesting you say you are pxing your keyboard only (w/o) tyros speakers,I told them  I wanted to px with speakers ,I'll have to check with them on that.
My T5 only has 512mb exp board in and I'm not yet sure whether it is worth removing or not.
As to sound ,I can only say what sounds OK to me,you will have to decide what is good to you,whatever that is I hope you manage to find something acceptable.

Best wishes

Alan 😃😃

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 04:37:15 AM »
Hi Alans
I had Bonners offer me £2400 for my Tyros 76 key and speakers and top price was £4555. so that works out at £2155. That means Bonners were offering £100 for the Tyros 5 speakers.
I did find the tipsters advertising a little confusing  then It changed slightly again which threw me. The Red and white  box does state  £2225 for the Genos 76 key and speakers were not mentioned.

All the Best
John
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:41:55 AM by ugawoga »

Offline organaut

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 05:07:47 AM »
It sounds to me from some of these posts that some of the dealers have already decided to throw in the matching speakers for free. Am I right or just wishful thinking?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 05:11:53 AM by organaut »

Offline alans

• Supporter
  • Assoc Member
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 05:20:54 AM »
It sounds to me from some of these posts that some of the dealers have already decided to throw in the matching speakers for free. Am I right or just wishful thinking?

You would need to check on this,I got a reduction on Genos price (tyros tipsters) for not wanting Genos speakers.
I think it is wishful thinking to say they would include new speakers for free 😄,anyone considering a purchase needs to get this clarified with their dealer

Regards

Alan

The following users thanked this post: organaut

Offline organaut

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 05:23:42 AM »
Sob Sob.  Bye for now, going for lunch. Looks like I'm going to have to live on beans on toast until I can afford my Genos.LOL
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 05:26:47 AM by organaut »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 05:31:36 AM »
You get nothing free In this life
No more stirring up as confusion will set in everywhere
I do feel that all our calculations are correct for what we are selling and buying.
I have a 1 gig card in my Tyros remember.

all the best
john

The following users thanked this post: organaut

Offline Pigletboy

« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2017, 05:43:16 AM »
At least Tyros's seem to hold their value quite well. Better than cars anyway, I traded in a 10 year old Punto once, in really good condition, and got £200 for it!  >:(  ;D
PB

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2017, 05:45:45 AM »
Hi Piglet Boy

You should have gone for Scrappage deal

Offline Pigletboy

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2017, 05:48:36 AM »
Indeed! It was quite a while back though...
Getting closer to that Genos date, jealous? Me? Just a bit!!!
PB

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2017, 05:51:39 AM »
At least Tyros's seem to hold their value quite well. Better than cars anyway, I traded in a 10 year old Punto once, in really good condition, and got £200 for it!  >:(  ;D
PB

I was amazed how well my Tyros 5 held its value when it came to getting it part-exchanged for a Genos. So much so, that I could (if I wanted and if I was inclined) sell my new Genos bundle, all boxed and unopened, at well below the current RRP and easily make a very tidy profit. Tempting. ;)
Yamaha Tyros 5 | Roland A-800 Pro | Cubase 9 Elements | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape & Stylus RMX | Arturia Spark 2 | Yamaha APX 700II 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2017, 09:36:45 AM »
A question for Maarten

Iknow I have been a nuisance asking about speakers , but last one.

How much difference would Hs8's be to the Genos system.
Are we talking a mile a couple of yards
Are the genos speakers good for moniyoring a finished composition
I could have the Genos speakers which is included in my deal and buy the Hs 8's for monitoring.
Or skip the genos speakers and get thos Yamaha hs8's, which just looking at them appears better than small satalite speakers with a boom bass.

All the best
John

Online Tommy 73

• Assoc Member
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2017, 09:40:41 AM »
Just in case this was missed form another thread I'll copy here again ....John why not slower the process down a little and to be really sure what you are getting when considering any active monitoring system.. so perhaps take Genos to a local pro audio store say PMT or similar and audition the yamaha monitor line as well as some other Brands and not forgetting to use your master fx like EQ + new compressor to shape the sound you like... you could be really surprised at the different results you will here by following this method then you will be able to make a much better informed choice and this will be so worth doing when you have spent all this money on Genos ..buying cold from online recommendation without a proper audition could be a mistake considering in your mind you have a specific sound that you want ...all the best Tommy
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 09:43:48 AM by Tommy 73 »
((((A@424HZ))))

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2017, 09:46:32 AM »
Hi Tom

I should of thought that The Hs8's would be far superior to the genos Speakers though.
I have heard nothing but praise for the Hs8's .

I never did like the Tyros 5 system

The following users thanked this post: Mike W

Offline alans

• Supporter
  • Assoc Member
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2017, 09:50:08 AM »
Hi John

I think the answer you need is,try before you buy,only your ears will tell you

Regards

Alan

Online maartenb

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2017, 09:54:42 AM »
A question for Maarten

I agree with Tommy. Take your time to find your perfect setup. You don't need to decide all at once now. Get the Genos first.

When I had the TRS-MS04, I was very happy with them. They sound great. It has the deep sound of a 2.1 (sub)woofer system. But the mids and highs are not good enough to mix (monitor) on them.
Another thing I didn't like was the price. But hey, they look great, have a small foot print and are more than enough to fill a large living room.

For my Tyros5 I decided to go for real monitors (HS7), because they sound better and can stay the same for the next keyboards. When you change keyboard three times and therefore avoid the cost of the Yamaha 2.1 speaker set three times, the HS monitors are cheaper. And sound better. You do need stands, cupboards or shelves to put them on, though.

Now, the Genos sounds really great and Yamaha have improved the D/A converters. Good speakers now show themselves even better than before. I haven't heard the GNS-MS01 yet, but I am sure Yamaha did their job well. The satellites have a larger volume than the TRS-MS05, which is good for the sound quality. I expect the mids and highs to be better.

So, you can't really go wrong with either choice. It's up to you what you find the most important aspect of a speaker system.

Maarten

Online maartenb

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2017, 09:56:34 AM »
The Hs8's would be far superior to the genos Speakers though.

I think so, too. Even though I've never heard the GNS-MS01.

Maarten

Online Tommy 73

• Assoc Member
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2017, 10:18:01 AM »
Hi Tom

I should of thought that The Hs8's would be far superior to the genos Speakers though.
I have heard nothing but praise for the Hs8's .

I never did like the Tyros 5 system
The yamaha HS8's are very competitive monitor for the price I did my demo time with Montage which where running the HS8's and as said already then I'm sure they will be much better than the Genos 2.1 system.... if you go down the monitor route john get your dealer to throw in some foam pads for the monitors to sit on so you can decouple them from the work surface which will help and if the wife is well out of range at this stage after the hit on the wallet then nip down to Maplin's as they do for about 40 quid a really good mains conditioner built into an extension lead block I was really surprised how good it was considering how much I've spent on mains conditioning ...then hey presto john you will really be up and running... P.s. (Tacima 2m Six Socket Mains Conditioner with RFI Filter for Home Cinema and HiFi) :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:24:15 AM by Tommy 73 »
((((A@424HZ))))

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2017, 10:42:56 AM »
Thanks all for more advice .
I will have to get my ears on  and have a good listen to them

All the best
John :)

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2017, 03:09:24 PM »
For those people wanting to buy studio monnitors
This blog might be an interesting read.

http://keyszone.boards.net/thread/467/placing-studio-monitors
Good article that was linked^^^^
I use a pair of JBL LSR305 near field monitors in my recording setup. I've found positioning to be pretty important as well as some treatment of the room. I didn't do much in the way of room treatment, but what I did do seemed to result in improved listening clarity and less of a muddiness which evidently came from reflections around the room. Some of the monitors mentioned in this thread are decent monitors that are generally intended to be used with a certain placement in mind, as well as a room with good acoustics.

The article in the link below deals with room treatment. The space you have your keyboard and monitors in may need much less. My approach was to add in small steps until I felt the room sounded good.
http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/room-setup-acoustic-treatment/

Offline mark fernando

• Supporter
  • Asst. Member
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2017, 10:00:19 AM »
Hi,

I am pretty sure you should listen sound through studio monitors and keyboard and compare as mentioned Tommy 73. Liking of the sound depend person to person and very difficult to advice. But for sure what I know is studio monitors are made to produce flat sound minimizing any colouring to sound which may be not the case with the keyboard audio system.  And monitors are made for near filed monitoring. Tyros / Genos speaker systems similar to small PA system and probably customized to sound better. If you like the sound of speaker system provided with keyboard and now you are looking to amplify the same quality for entertainment you should look for good PA system like Bose L1 compact, QSC etc. But if you expect the same sound quality using studio monitors you probably would not get it as they are built for different purposes. But setting up keyboard inbuilt EQ/ effects system you may get the similar sounding.

May be this will give little help!

Thanks

Mark       

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2017, 12:00:08 PM »
Hi Mark

I have taken onboard everything now that has been said.
The Genos speaker system seems to be the listening side for a small sized room and Buy extra pair of good monitors for mixing.

all the best
JOHN

Offline Del 123

• Assoc Member
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2017, 01:24:47 PM »

Hi John,

I recently purchased a pair of HS5 monitors and also the HS8s woofer. The room I use is relatively small ..about 3 m x 3 m. I redecorated the room with the keyboard in mind, I opted for a new oak wooden floor, blinds not curtains and removed any sound absorbing fabrics. I positioned the monitors at head level and the Sub away from any obstacles.

The sound on my Tyros 5 is now clear, pitch perfect, clean and I have to say..mind blowing! I understand that the speakers will improve further through age too. I hope to upgrade to the Genos very soon and ..I know that the sound will be awesome. The HS5’s will last me a long time. In the long run they should be cost effective. I did decide not to go for the HS8’s. I did plenty of research and felt that for my room size these would have been too big - a bit too boomlet maybe ..I like things in proportion too.  My HS8s woofer is a an ideal acessary to the HS5’s, it makes the sound go through my body..real depth. What more can I say!

Regards
Darren