Author Topic: No Power  (Read 16088 times)

Craven Morehead

No Power
« on: October 04, 2017, 01:15:24 AM »
It's been several weeks since playing my S910. Turned it on tonight and nothing. Immediately checked power cord at surge protector strip. Found it plugged in. Pulled plug from power supply from back of keyboard. It's fried! Said some choice words. >:(  Can't tell extent of damage to keyboard receptacle yet. Figured I'd check the power supply first since it would be easier. Cut off burned up plug, stripped wires and checked with multimeter. I got the 16volts. Oh darn! That probably means a keyboard issue. Will have to open it up when I get time. Have too many other things going on right now. Everything else plugged into the same power strip are fine. If anyone else has had this same issue I would appreciate what was found. Would give me a good starting point anyway. Hope I didn't lose the songs I was working on. They are saved to the USB so hopefully okay.

Craven Morehead

Re: No Power
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 06:27:54 PM »
Maybe it's time for a new one. lol Seems not many still have them since there aren't any replies. Still haven't got around to opening it up yet.  When's the next generation PSR coming out?  ;D

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 02:41:44 AM »
I suspect you have a cold solder joint where the power cord plugs into the keyboard. Pretty easy to repair if you have some electro-mechanical experience, but if you do not, then take the keyboard to an authorized service center and have them do it for you.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Craven Morehead

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 08:13:52 PM »
I suspect you have a cold solder joint where the power cord plugs into the keyboard. Pretty easy to repair if you have some electro-mechanical experience, but if you do not, then take the keyboard to an authorized service center and have them do it for you.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Well, I've opened it up and the DC IN Jack is pretty much ruined. It appears the damage is isolated to the internal part of the plug in, and the male plug of the AC adapter. The solder joint looks good on the circuit board. Will need a new plug anyway. Nothing on the circuit board looks damaged except the IN Jack. The board is the AM circuit board P/N WR339700. I've searched the internet for one and can't find it. Can't find the IN Jack P/N V7509100 either. Will call Yamaha on Monday. Also have local authorized repair places that might have the part. Will call on Monday also. I do have experience with this kind of stuff. Just need the parts. I could also remove the IN Jack and hard wire the AC adapter to circuit board if I have to.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 10:00:44 PM »
You should be able to get the parts in the US from Yamaha's online parts service 'Yamaha24x7' https://www.yamaha24x7.com/#/  but these days you seem to need an account even to check for a part!

If you decide not to replace the complete AM board, then note that there is a thermal resettable fuse immediately after the DC power socket: TH090 part no. VV45800R,  PROTECTOR SWITCH RUE250, RUEF250 2.50A 30V.
Hopefully this is OK and has reset, but you might want to check for continuity across it with a meter just in case it was damaged during the 'incident', whatever that was.  There is also a diode next to it: D0090, part no. VR313500, DIODE which you can check. 

From your description it sounds as if there was a short circuit in the DC socket or plug, and if so hopefully it will only be necessary to change these.

Regards

Ian

Craven Morehead

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 11:01:51 PM »
You should be able to get the parts in the US from Yamaha's online parts service 'Yamaha24x7' https://www.yamaha24x7.com/#/  but these days you seem to need an account even to check for a part!

If you decide not to replace the complete AM board, then note that there is a thermal resettable fuse immediately after the DC power socket: TH090 part no. VV45800R,  PROTECTOR SWITCH RUE250, RUEF250 2.50A 30V.
Hopefully this is OK and has reset, but you might want to check for continuity across it with a meter just in case it was damaged during the 'incident', whatever that was.  There is also a diode next to it: D0090, part no. VR313500, DIODE which you can check. 

From your description it sounds as if there was a short circuit in the DC socket or plug, and if so hopefully it will only be necessary to change these.

Regards

Ian
Thanks for the information. Th090 and D090 are good. As you say it looks like a short at the DC plug.  Thanks for the link to parts. I couldn't find one. I did find a phone number that I will try on Monday. Can't say if it's a good number or not. I'll replace AC adapter and hopefully I can get the DC IN Jack. If the board is available and not too much money I might just get it for piece of mind.

Craven Morehead

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 04:07:59 PM »
Went online to order parts and two of them came up with call parts department. Called this morning and talked to a nice gentleman named Dennis. He informed me the part number had changed. Gave me the new part numbers and prices. Told me to go online to order because the price is over $50 and the shipping will be free.
I thought that was nice of him to do. Saved me shipping cost. I had opened an account online the other day so ordering wasn't too bad. The Shipping, Billing, and payment sequence was a little strange. Had to enter addresses multiple times. Probably because it was my first time ordering parts.
Now it's just wait for the parts and cross fingers that it works. 8)  Thank you all for the help.

Craven Morehead

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 01:43:16 AM »
Well, for anyone that cares I got the parts and repaired my keyboard.
Ordered the AM board and new A/C power adapter. Could probably repaired the old board by soldering in a new plug in but decided to go with a new one just in case. Got it all put back together and plugged it in. Powered up normally.  Now I'm wondering if I should leave it plugged in 24/7. I did for years before this happened.  :)

Offline jtrue

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 02:17:39 AM »
Thank you for providing this information. Sorry you experienced the problem but it is good to know how you solved it.

I leave mine plugged in but always through a surge protector.

j.
It don't mean a thing...

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 03:12:12 AM »
Never, ever, leave the keyboard plugged in 24/7 - even with a surge protector. Surge protectors are only good for minor surges from the power company supplying your electricity. They will NOT protect you from a lightning strike surge through your power lines. The only thing that protects you from a lightning strike is to have the keyboard unplugged, and even then, it will not always protect you. Every sailboat owner knows this. You would be amazed at how many sail boats loose all their electronics when lightning hits their aluminum mast and their gear is just sitting in a drawer inside the boat. The static charge is that powerful. The only protection is a Faraday Cage, which can be in the form of a stainless steel oven, or an unplugged microwave oven on the boat. I store my GPS/Plotter/Radar, IAS receiver inside my oven when I am not there. The sailboat next to mine got hit by lightning at the top of his mast, which was fully grounded, and the boat on the other side of him lost all his electronic gear.

Good luck,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 10:32:48 PM »
Hi Wally! I am greatly impressed be this repairing business of yours, and glad that you could get your keyboard up and going again! Well done!!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

eddi

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 07:26:51 AM »
hello guys i have a problem my 910 is restarting after 20/30/ min some times still on for 2hrs but he will auto restart ..when is on play

Craven Morehead

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 03:53:01 PM »
Really not sure what you're saying here. If I got it right I'm thinking you may have issue with the power on/0ff button/switch. If nothing else you can disconnect the power cord.  Perhaps you can be a little more detailed in describing the problem.

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 04:06:00 PM »
Eddie, sounds as if the power supply is overheating and the thermal cutout is tripping off and restarting. Might have to replace the power supply.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Craven Morehead

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 04:54:08 AM »
Eddie, sounds as if the power supply is overheating and the thermal cutout is tripping off and restarting. Might have to replace the power supply.

Gary 8)
I bet you're right Gary.  They sell them on Amazon. Think they are less than what Yamaha sells them for. I got mine from Yamaha at the same time I ordered the circuit board.