Author Topic: Studio Monitors  (Read 7651 times)

Offline Marty

Studio Monitors
« on: September 21, 2017, 04:01:03 PM »
Hi,

These KRK Rokit 5 G3 studio monitors obtain good reviews. Ideally suited for the home user.  Anyone using these with their 970 / 770 ?

Marty

Offline billtracy

Re: Studio Monitors
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 05:55:36 PM »
I am using the KRK Rokit 5s (G1) albeit with a Roland EA7. It depends on the size of the room you are using them in, but for a small room I find them to be really all I need and good sounding.
Current: Korg PA900/JBL 308P/Focusrite Clarett 2Pre/Band in a Box/Reaper/EZdrummer 3. Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740/Yamaha PSR-1100/Yamaha PSR-S750.

Offline Marty

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 08:57:41 PM »
Hi

Yes they would be used in a small room. I would assume they would give better sound clarity than the built in speakers.

Offline billtracy

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 09:10:25 PM »
I believe so. I am using them as you would use nearfield monitors in a studio situation-placed close to my playing position. They add clarity and fullness to the sound and are a significant difference over the built in speakers. They are plenty loud enough for me and I am running a mic through it too. As I mentioned, I am using an EA-7 and compared to the PSR-S750 I previously owned I thought the 750 had a little more bass anyway with the built in speakers than the EA-7. So the difference might not be as much.
Current: Korg PA900/JBL 308P/Focusrite Clarett 2Pre/Band in a Box/Reaper/EZdrummer 3. Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740/Yamaha PSR-1100/Yamaha PSR-S750.

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 10:44:23 PM »
I’m not familiar with the KRK Rokit speakers; however, I gig all the time with the S970 and a small pair of Behringer monitor speakers.  It works great for small settings.  Personally, I prefer the sound of bi-amped studio monitor speakers any day over PA speakers.  To my hearing, studio monitor speakers are cleaner, fuller-sounding.

Bedj

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 09:52:28 PM »

I own both Jbl lsr305 and Rockit 5, and the Jbl is without hesitation the best monitor between the two.

I also hook one of my keyboards to "Microlab B77" active speakers. They are amazing for the money
  The Jbl reach lower in the bass frequencies (5 against 4 inch woofer) but as far midrange and high frequencies are concerned the Microlab B77 are on the same level of quality.
It seems they are only available in Europe though.

Offline Marty

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 10:54:24 AM »
The JBL lsr305 get very good reviews and are around the same price as the Rokit 5 here in the UK.
May have to make a purchase.

MAX3

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 12:55:21 AM »
I own both Jbl lsr305 and Rockit 5, and the Jbl is without hesitation the best monitor between the two.

I also hook one of my keyboards to "Microlab B77" active speakers. They are amazing for the money
  The Jbl reach lower in the bass frequencies (5 against 4 inch woofer) but as far midrange and high frequencies are concerned the Microlab B77 are on the same level of quality.
It seems they are only available in Europe though.

Offline billtracy

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 02:33:47 PM »
As long as this topic was brought back up-I did get the 8S sub for the 5s and it is a nice upgrade. Really cleans up the mains and adds low end. This is with a PA900.

Offline XeeniX

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 03:12:45 PM »
Hi,

Recently bought 2 Rokit The Krk rp5 (G3) since they were priced really nicely (122 € per speaker) I heard instruments in my styles I never heard before over my previous speakers :) A little low on bass probably especially if you are into EDM and such but still more then enough low for a small room when not. Bill'' sugestion about teh extra sub could be a nice option on top of those rp5. Thanks Bill :)

Friends of mine bought both the RP6 and RP8 in a set. While the price goes up as well of course the overal sound in especially the low goes up accordingly no need for an extra sub there. Worth their money these speakers if you ask me.

So, depending on you budget and room you play in, pick either one of those 3 models

regards,
Peter

Offline zionip

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 12:26:19 AM »
I auditioned the KRK Rokit G3 studio monitors, including the 5, 6, and 8 models, and compared them side by side with the Yamaha HS5, HS7, and HS8 studio monitors at a local Guitar Center store - I skipped the JBL LSR series because some of them were absent at the store.

I found that the KRK's are pleasing but a bit more warm in sounding, with more emphasis on bass when compared to the comparable models of Yamaha.  The Yamaha's sound a bit more neutral to me.

HS5:  A bit too much emphasis on highs and mids, a bit weak in bass, would be perfect with the HS8S subwoofer.
HS7:  Great stereo separation, great highs and mids, a bit lacking in bass, would be perfect with the HS8S subwoofer.
HS8:  A little less clear in highs and mids than the HS7, better bass performance.

In the end, I chose a pair of Yamaha HS8, since I do not plan to buy the HS8S subwoofer.

Thanks,
Paul

Bedj

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 02:41:31 PM »

I have just got your question by mail. No, in my opinion it is not worth spending for the Jbl lsr305 when you already have the B77 plus an 8 inch sub.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 02:45:21 PM by Bedj »