Author Topic: Registration Memory Content page  (Read 724 times)

Offline sugarplumsss

Registration Memory Content page
« on: September 12, 2017, 11:35:12 PM »
There has been some disagreement on the page that permits one to check over ten parameters
to on or off. You hit the Memory button, and on that page you will see the page I am referring to.
Well I was quite confused by information various people over the years have repeorted to me about that page.

I was under what may well be a false impression about that page being an individual registration sensitive page.
Eg you could uncheck SONG on one registration, but on another registration you could check the SONG box.
I was told that that registration memory content page was flawed because the page did not reflect the individual check marks for each registration.

Well today, chatting with tech support, I may have received new explanation of that page.

Simply put, that page is GLOBAL in nature. That means it is not possible to have customized settings for the 10+ boxes ( SONG  TEMPO  TRANSPOSE etc )

Which means there is no flaw in the screen... whatever is checked applies globally.

HOWEVER now that I think about it

What if I saved a registration on Monday with all boxes unchecked

and on Friday I made a new Registration bank with ALL boxes checked

Would the fact I had all boxes checked on Fridays Registration, automatically add checks to Mondays
unchecked boxes????

I am still confused

I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline EileenL

Re: Registration Memory Content page
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 03:30:36 AM »
No the bank without check marks will not alter as it saves and keeps what you did at the time of creating the registration bank.

Offline s_cristi

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 04:08:00 AM »
After reading what @jwyvern wrote below I finally understood the topic.

Indeed, you cannot know what was checked on/off on the memory page at the time when the reg was saved.
Of course, you can see what changes from one bank to another (style, tempo, voices, song, etc...)

Yet, what I said before(which is also what Eileen already stated before) that does not affect saving banks with different selections/checks made on that page.
And also, surely does not affect an already saved bank.

Regards
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:56:54 AM by s_cristi »
Blessed be the Lord God Almighty!
PSR S770  8)

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 04:15:33 AM »
Whatever mix of check marks you select will stay as they are until you change them again. That's OK as long as that selection suits the registration saves you want to make. But you may well want different selections for some of the later Regs. you want to save. I always make a habit of inspecting what is checked in the box (rather than assuming it's OK) before saving and be ready to alter the checks if necessary.
Peter Baartmans in some of his demos advises to check everything which while simple, and presumably you'd never need to check or change it with that philosophy, it seems counter intuitive and not flexible enough for me.
But who knows, it might work perfectly OK for most situations  :)
John
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:25:56 AM by jwyvern »

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 04:40:47 PM »
Sorry this has confused me

To reiterate:

On Monday I save 2 registrations within a registration bank as follows
#1 reg is saved with no check boxes marked
#2 is ALL check boxes marked

3-8 are empty
I then SAVE.

on Friday I click into same Reg Bank
and add :

# 3 with All check boxes marked
#4 with NO check boxes marked

In sum

I have created
within said Reg bank
#1  remains as I created it on Monday (  by design it cannot be changed unless I edit it )
namely  NO check boxes marked

#2  is ALL check boxes marked

#3 is ALL  check boxes are marked

and #4 with No check boxes marked

The last time I did an edit/ save would be zero check marks.

if I look within this registration bank at eg #3  I am guessing I will
NOT see check marks that accurately reflect the reality of that registration
- (remember #3 had ALL check boxes checked.) But because #4 was zero boxes checked and because number #4 was the LAST reg created, when looking at #3( ALL checked)  I will see Zero boxes checked, a false reading.

Say I want to create a 5th registration
when I get to stage of creating #5  the memory content will tell me what #4 "said", because #4 was the LAST reg created.

To describe this is obviously taxing .. have I accurately described the tyros memory content territory?

And as a practice when creating a new reg, you CAN trust ( the check mark status )  what you see.
But if EDITING an existing Registration
it seems like one has to check and uncheck the boxes precisely as you wish!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 04:45:00 PM by sugarplumsss »
I use T4 as a drum machine. Playing my own acmp and bass. MIDI songs are my latest interest. If anyone wishes to share knowledge on MIDI songs let me know.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 08:25:57 PM »
Don't tie yourself up in knots.

The only thing you have to remember is the Registration Memory Content screen always displays whatever boxes you ticked the last time it was used.

Don't go any further until you re-read the previous paragraph and understand it. Once you do, you won't have any problems.

So, unfortunately, the ticks displayed often have nothing to do with the boxes that were ticked when the loaded registration was memorized. That's because the Registration Memory Content screen always displays whatever boxes you ticked the last time it was used.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 10:08:37 AM »
SO Fred, I have dwelled on this topic long enough... and in spite of Yamaha tech support stating  " the reg memory content page is global".. I can confidently say...for each registration, I can have any combination of markers ticked. Essentially saying "it is global" is misleading.

I think the way you put it, is accurate.

One side question..  a distinction between reg banks versus individual registrations, is wholly unnecessary , correct? Meaning within a full bank, I can have as many as eight different ( not that I am likely to this ) combinations of the content?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:11:28 AM by sugarplumsss »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 10:18:12 AM »
One side question..  a distinction between reg banks versus individual registrations, is wholly unnecessary , correct? Meaning within a full bank, I can have as many as eight different ( not that I am likely to this ) combinations of the content?

Yes, each registration is independent and can have different content groups stored. You can see this in action in one of my videos where I show how to change the key for each verse (by ticking the Transpose group), while the chorus stays in the same key as the verse (because its Transpose group was not ticked).

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline sugarplumsss

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 10:43:23 AM »
Thank you again Fred

You know these keyboards are quite complicated, until you understand them.
I speak to Yamaha tech support maybe every few months
And one of the techs said the Montage is far far more complcated than the Tyros.

This brings up a point I would like to express here.

The way we articulate an answer to a question ( hopefully the question is clearly expressed )
is very important.
The Yamaha tech told me or articulated a response to my question
" The registration content is global".. I do not know if that statement is true or not, but
I think the way you ( Fred ) put it, was far more helpful in explaining a concept within the architecture of Yamaha land.

If someones choice of words especially resonates, those words ought to be captured and maybe posted in a FAQ.

Is these a living growing FAQ for Tyros Architecture?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:46:10 AM by sugarplumsss »