Author Topic: Some MIDIs can't play on PSR E453 Keyboard  (Read 644 times)

Offline c2s1

Some MIDIs can't play on PSR E453 Keyboard
« on: September 10, 2017, 01:54:41 AM »
Good Day Everyone,

I have a Yamaha Keyboard which is a PSR E453. I formatted my USB Flash Drive and put a folder named USER FILES with many midi files on it. The device can recognize the midi files and play it when I plug the flash drive to the keyboard and press the SONG Button then navigate the songs using the data entry knob.  However, some of the midis (3 midi files) can't play or produce some sound on the keyboard. Though when played, the chords and the playing piano can be seen on the LCD, however no sound are produced. Is there something wrong on the MIDI files or are there parameters where the device can handle a certain type of MIDI files. Surely, the midi files that won't play on the keyboard can be played and be heard when I play it on the MIDI player on the computer. Thanks for those who will answer my questions and a little help would be very much appreciated :)

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: Some MIDIs can't play on PSR E453 Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:31:30 AM »
There are two different procedures that a Yamaha keyboard will follow when it encounters a request for a particular Voice-- i.e., Bank and Program combination-- which isn't available on the keyboard:

(1) It might play the GM1 Voice-- a.k.a. the XG "Capital Tone"-- from Bank number 0 that has the same Program number, which in most cases should at least be the same general type of sound as the requested Voice.

(2) It might play no sound at all.

Which of these two possibilities will be used is dependent on the requested Bank and Program combination, as detailed in Yamaha's XG specifications.

Apparently there are a few Voice requests in those MIDI files which play no sound at all if they aren't available on a given keyboard model. And it's likely there are a larger number of Voice requests which play a GM1 Voice if they aren't available, but you aren't aware of this because those Voice requests are at least playing some kind of sound.

Whenever you get a MIDI song file that wasn't specifically created for your particular model of keyboard-- or even the same brand-- it's a very good idea to use a MIDI editor or other utility to inspect the Voice requests which are in the file, and replace any Voice that isn't available on your keyboard with one that is. This can be a good idea even if a Voice is available on your keyboard-- e.g., if it's a GM1 Voice-- because there might be a better-sounding Voice available.

If you have a Windows computer, you might want to check out Michael Bedesem's MixMaster program, which is available on the main PSR Tutorial site. Although it doesn't have an instrument definition file for the PSR-E453 and there's no way to add a new one, you can modify one of its existing instrument definition files-- e.g., the one for the PSR-450 keyboard-- to replace the Voice list with Voices that are available on the PSR-E453. Then select that model in MixMaster. When you load a MIDI song file or Yamaha style file into MixMaster, any Voice which isn't available on the selected model will be listed in red with (IIRC) an asterisk by it, so you will know that you should replace it with a different Voice. (But as mentioned above, it can be a good idea to review all of the Voices which are requested by the file, because you might want to replace any GM1 Voices with better-sounding Voices if any are available.)

There are also a number of utility programs by Jorgen Sorensen, many of which are available for Mac computers as well as Windows computers. He has programs for converting newer style files to the older format that the PSR-E453 uses, for changing the Voices in MIDI song files and Yamaha style files, and even for making a Yamaha style file from a MIDI song file.

Links to MixMaster and to Jorgen's programs are given below:

http://psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html

http://www.jososoft.dk/yamaha/software/software.htm

One word of caution: In their Voice lists, Yamaha adds a 1 to the Program numbers-- e.g., if they list a Voice as having a Program number of 7, it actually has a Program Change value of 6 (i.e., 7 minus 1). Consequently, when you are using the Voice list found in your PSR-E453's documentation, you must subtract 1 from the indicated Program numbers to get the correct Program Change values.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline c2s1

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 11:01:15 AM »
Thank you very much for the reply, I'm going to give a try to your solution. :)
Hope it works :D

Offline c2s1

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 08:40:18 AM »
I Have some questions in using the MixMaster Software:

If I'm going to use the instrument "GM", does all of the voice available on that instrument will be compatible to Yamaha PSR E453?
What are the other instrument recommendation available in MixMaster that all of the voices available will be compatible to PSR E453?
:) :)

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 11:06:25 AM »
Yes, all of the GM voices are available on the PSR-E453. However, there should be better alternatives for most of the GM voices on the PSR-E453. MixMaster doesn't let you add new instrument definition files, but you can pick an existing one-- such as the one for the PSR-450-- and modify it so it has all the voices that are available on the PSR-E453.
Michael Rideout

Offline c2s1

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 08:00:15 AM »
Sorry for the Late Reply but apparently, IT WORKED :D
Thanks for the help and I really appreciate it :)

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 10:24:46 AM »
I'm glad you got them all sorted out! :)
Michael Rideout