Author Topic: Style assembly question  (Read 826 times)

Style assembly question
« on: September 05, 2017, 11:11:47 AM »
Hi team,

How do you copy CHD1 in Variation A to CHD1 in Variation B of the same style? Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 11:13:04 AM by Lee Batchelor »
Current Gear: Tyros 5, Nord Electro 5D, SoundCraft mixer, two Bose L1 Compacts, 15 inch sub designed and built by myself, Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, Cubase 8 Artist, Steinberg UR-44.

Online Joe H

Re: Style assembly question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 11:24:30 AM »
Lee,

Start Style Creator... TAB to Assembly

1. Select the Section (by pressing the Section button)
2. Start the ACMP
3. Select the Section you want to copy to (OK -on screen)
4. Double tap the Part want to copy to (on screen)
5. Select and double tap the part you want to copy from  (you should now here it playing the copied part)
6. Now you can go to the Mixing Console if you want edit or change Voices or other parameters
7. EXIT: (Mixing Console) then SAVE

NOTE:  I hope I didn't miss anything here... wrote this from memory.

Joe H
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 11:28:55 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 11:41:39 AM »
Many thanks Joe. It didn't work...probably pilot error at my end. Let me comment:

1. Select the Section (by pressing the Section button) Which section? The Source section or Target section? (Source=A, Target=B)
2. Start the ACMP OKAY
3. Select the Section you want to copy to (OK -on screen) I pressed B.
4. Double tap the Part want to copy to (on screen) I tapped B, CHD1.
5. Select and double tap the part you want to copy from  (you should now here it playing the copied part) It played Section B but the old CHD1, not my new one From Section A.
6. Now you can go to the Mixing Console if you want edit or change Voices or other parameters
7. EXIT: (Mixing Console) then SAVE

Current Gear: Tyros 5, Nord Electro 5D, SoundCraft mixer, two Bose L1 Compacts, 15 inch sub designed and built by myself, Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, Cubase 8 Artist, Steinberg UR-44.

The following users thanked this post: Del B

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 11:50:16 AM »
Got it to work, Joe! Perhaps I'll re-write the procedure for future reference. I'm a technical writer, so I had better get it right! Thanks again...

- Lee

Online Joe H

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 02:13:46 PM »
Lee,

Sorry for the sloppy instructions, I didn't have the time to go through the process before writing them here.   A lot of button presses on the Panel ans screen, but once you get into the process it's quite easy.

Yes, source / target are the best way to write the instructions. 

Regards,
Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 04:18:27 AM »
Here are some instructions I wrote for my forum

Style Assembly
Have you ever used a style and thought “I like this style but I do wish it had a different Intro or I wish it had that piano section that is on another style” This is exactly what you can do using Style Assembly in the Style creator.
You just need to do a little preparation beforehand to make this easier and save you darting back and forth to different sections. Firstly select the style you want to create. I have selected Midnight Swing in Swing and Jazz section. I am now going to save this to my user drive. I want to copy the intro and certain sections from Movie Swing 2 in Movie and Show section. I now save this to my user drive. As I mentioned this will save you time having to go between the different folders as we progress. Because I am going to change Intros I firstly need to check the amount of bars in the style I am copying from. In this case it is nine.
Now go to your user section and select Midnight Swing. Press digital record and select Style.If you have Tyros 5 you will press CREATOR and select Style. Press EXIT once to give you the view of the style sections. Tab to Intro three and you will see it is set to four bars. Press either button 5 or 6 down and increase to nine. Now press EXECUTE. Now tab to assembly page. You will now see all the style sections and at the bottom of the screen you will see we are on Intro three. Now press Rhythm one twice and tab to User. Now press Movie Swing and then Exit. Press Rhythm 2 twice, It will now probably go to user automatically. If not select it and press exit. Continue this way until you have done all the parts remembering to select the style you are putting it in each time. Now press play and listen to the end result. If you also want to change the ending then it is the same procedure. Always remember first to check the amount of bars in each style and adjust accordingly. Once done now save giving it a new name to where you want it. Either, user, HD, or USB.
The Movie swing style has a nice piano part to it and you may think you would like to add that to the style you have just altered. In that case then don’t save your style just yet. Note that this part is on CHD 2. If we look at Midnight Swing we notice that the piano part is on CHD 1. This I want to change in main C. Tab back to main page and select Main C. Now tab to Assembly again. Press Chord 1. Now in the Copy From section part select Channel and put onto Chord 2. Now press Chord 1 again and on user select Movie Swing then Exit. Now press start and you will hear you now have the piano part from Movie swing playing.
I hope this has given you a little insight into how this works and that you will want to try it.

The following users thanked this post: Del B

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 04:50:09 AM »
Excellent, Eileen! I remember reading your paragraph in another post. Thanks for copying it to this topic :)!

Too bad it is still a very convoluted process. This is yet another reason we need decent software for this type of work. A "drag and drop" or "copy and paste" function would be a lot easier. As a matter of history, no keyboard has ever been as "slick" for such work as an external piece of software.

Yamaha, are you listening???

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 06:23:19 AM »
Hi Joe H and Eileen,

WOW !
Many thanks for these very useful and great instructions. 😄

Jeff, The Grateful
DAWS MAC & WIN

Online Joe H

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 07:57:34 AM »
Excellent, Eileen! I remember reading your paragraph in another post. Thanks for copying it to this topic :)!

Too bad it is still a very convoluted process. This is yet another reason we need decent software for this type of work. A "drag and drop" or "copy and paste" function would be a lot easier. As a matter of history, no keyboard has ever been as "slick" for such work as an external piece of software.

Yamaha, are you listening???

I can do this same operation with the StyleMagic software, but to be honest it is actually easier to do in Style Creator Assembly on the keyboard.  I speak from my own preference, having edited, modified, and/or created hundreds of custom styles.

Joe H
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 07:59:30 AM by Joe H »

Offline DerekA

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 08:58:06 AM »
It's not a completely 100% intuitive process, if you only do it now and then it feels a bit wooly but I expect Joe is right, if you do it frequently it will become familiar.
S770

Online Joe H

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 11:34:43 AM »
It's not a completely 100% intuitive process, if you only do it now and then it feels a bit wooly but I expect Joe is right, if you do it frequently it will become familiar.

I think that is very true for not ONLY Style Creator Assembly... but that has been my experience also with software like MixMaster and StyleMagic as well. 

Though being a beta tester for MixMaster helped me understand the conventions of both software programs much faster.  I think this is because beta testing requires we look at "patterns" in the software behavior as well as using sometimes repetitive routines while testing for the purpose of identifying problems / bugs or to confirm positive results.

Learning software is a bit like learning to play music.  The more we practice... the better we get.

Joe H

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 11:40:17 AM by Joe H »