Author Topic: Modifying voices on the style tracks?  (Read 242 times)

Jørgen, Ben46 and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline boggy

Modifying voices on the style tracks?
« on: September 04, 2017, 08:46:17 AM »
Forgive me if I am not using proper terminology, but what I am trying to do is to simply change instrument voices in specific styles.  I was able to do that in the past on Yamaha PSR-85, but I can't figure out how to do the same thing on PSR-EW400.  I find it a little strange, because Yamaha calls it a flagship model, yet it does not seem to do the same thing a very old model of the same series could handle easily.

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: Modifying voices on the style tracks?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 11:22:22 AM »
Unfortunately, the PSR-E/YPT and DGX/YPG models don't have the Style Assembly feature, so there's no way to modify the onboard styles.

If you're using an external style file, you can use a style file utility such as Michael Bedesem's Mix Master, or Jorgen Sorensen's Style Revoicer, to change the voices used by each part.

If you're using an internal style, you will need to extract it as best you can to a MIDI song file, then use a utility such as Jorgen Sorensen's Midi2Style to create a style file from it, If I remember correctly, the Midi2Style utility lets you change the voices as you're creating the style file-- or you can change them later using the utilities mentioned above. To extract an internal style, you will need to use the keyboard's Song Recorder feature to record yourself playing each section of the style in its entirety with a C7 chord, then use the "Save SMF" file control option to convert the internal User Style to a MIDI song file.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 01:32:34 PM »
The PSR-84/85 seems to have had a simple onboard style creator, and a simple multipad creator.

You are right that these features are not present on the E- series. They only come in at the S670 level and above now.
S770

Offline boggy

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 01:45:39 PM »
The PSR-84/85 seems to have had a simple onboard style creator, and a simple multipad creator.

You are right that these features are not present on the E- series. They only come in at the S670 level and above now.

Those tools might have been simple, but they allowed me to do exactly what I needed.  I have another question, does Yamaha provide a downloadable library of their on-board styles, so that people don't have to do manual export to MIDI?

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 04:33:16 AM »
Not disagreeing with you at all; in fact many people are surprised that you need to start with the 670 to get any kind of custom style creation, and that Yamaha don't provide style creation software.

I don't think that Yamaha provides this library either. Some people on this forum have done a great job of extracting them.
S770

Online vbdx66

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:16:37 AM »
Hi,

If you find the process of creating a style from a MIDI file tedious, there could be a workaround for this. Depending on the style you want to modify, since many styles are available for several models of Yamaha keyboards, do a search on this forum or on the main site for a style (or possibly several styles) with the same name as the one you want to modify, e.g. "Dreamdance" or "PopJazz".

This way, you might find out that the style you want to tweak already exists as a standalone style file.

So you could spare on the process of recording the style in a MiDI SMF file and converting it back to a style file, and you could concentrate on the process of tweaking the voices of the style.

Hope this helps,

Vinciane
Past keyboards: PSR E313, PSR E413, PSR E433, PSR S550, DGX 640, upright piano.
Now: DGX 650