Author Topic: My New Tyros 5 track - 'Isaan Province'  (Read 439 times)

Offline CalUKGR

My New Tyros 5 track - 'Isaan Province'
« on: September 04, 2017, 05:16:14 AM »
Not sure if posting a link to my new Tyros 5 (completely non-commercial) track is allowed here, but here goes: https://soundcloud.com/calukgr/isaan-province

The track is called 'Isaan Province' and was inspired by a visit a while back to the northeast of Thailand. It's well off the tourist track, very rural farmland country. The place and the people made an impression on me and I fancied putting some of that into a new track.

I try to use the Tyros 5 in unexpected ways - hopefully this track shows that. I built the track around the 'Angel Sun' preset, recorded the whole thing into the T5, saved it as a MIDI file and imported that file into Cubase 9 Elements, where it was further edited, remixed, re-written and paired with Spectrasonics Omnisphere for some additional atmospherics and 'twiddly bits'. I feel the combination of Tyros 5 and a super-synth like Omnisphere makes for the perfect partnership. Between the two of them I seem to have a marriage made in musical heaven with literally thousands of options. I'd say the final track is 65% Tyros 5, 35% Omnisphere.

Hope you enjoy. Just trying to show a new facet Tyros 5 and how an arranger like this can be very useful both as a high-quality MIDI multi timbral sound box and as a song pad/arranger for genres not usually associated with it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:35:08 AM by CalUKGR »
Yamaha Tyros 5 | Roland A-800 Pro | Cubase 9 Elements | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape & Stylus RMX | Arturia Spark 2 | Yamaha APX 700II 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar

The following users thanked this post: Bill, J.Storms

Offline Marcus

Re: My New Tyros 5 track - 'Isaan Province'
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 06:05:29 AM »
Very nice CalUKGR. Interesting mix of sound effects and instruments in this creative arrangement. Yes, in some sections you can hear some Thailand (eastern-type) inspired voices or instrument. No one could of guessed that a large portion of the arrangement was originally from the Tyros 5.

The Tyros 5 has huge arrangement resources and tools to help in the creative process to create unique original arrangements, songs and scores. Too many features, editors and processing power to just be a sit and play instrument. Great how you took a Tyros 5 style and worked it into your final arrangement render. Very original and professional sounding.

I personally have reworked and modified practically every voice, Multipad or style on my Tyros 5 to suit my arrangement needs. In my case, the Tyros 5 is my main arranging tool and the instrument used in my live performances and recordings. Interesting to hear arrangements reworked further, post Tyros 5, into a final completed work utilizing other programs and sound samples.

Marcus

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 08:32:35 AM »
Very nice CalUKGR. Interesting mix of sound effects and instruments in this creative arrangement. Yes, in some sections you can hear some Thailand (eastern-type) inspired voices or instrument. No one could of guessed that a large portion of the arrangement was originally from the Tyros 5.

The Tyros 5 has huge arrangement resources and tools to help in the creative process to create unique original arrangements, songs and scores. Too many features, editors and processing power to just be a sit and play instrument. Great how you took a Tyros 5 style and worked it into your final arrangement render. Very original and professional sounding.

I personally have reworked and modified practically every voice, Multipad or style on my Tyros 5 to suit my arrangement needs. In my case, the Tyros 5 is my main arranging tool and the instrument used in my live performances and recordings. Interesting to hear arrangements reworked further, post Tyros 5, into a final completed work utilizing other programs and sound samples.

Marcus

Thank you, Marcus. I just wish the Tyros 5 came with a larger selection of 'chilled' styles (does anyone know of any more from, say, third party developers?). I find the ones we do have very inspiring as that's a genre I prefer to play in. 'Angel Sun', which is just a standard Tyros 5 preset after all, just seemed to want to be developed further, so taking it into Cubase and hooking it up with a fantastic soft-synth like Omnisphere seemed like an adventure, but to be honest, if you compare what I recorded with the Tyros 5 original style you'll hear that most of the original style is still pretty much intact (Yamaha did such a good job with the preset). Anyway, thanks again. Nice to have some feedback.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 08:34:09 AM by CalUKGR »
Yamaha Tyros 5 | Roland A-800 Pro | Cubase 9 Elements | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape & Stylus RMX | Arturia Spark 2 | Yamaha APX 700II 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Offline GrantB

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 10:12:40 AM »
Really enjoyed listening to the track and very impressed it was put together on the T5. I just wish I had the expertise to try something similar.
It certainly had the profesional touch.

Cheers

Grant

Offline tyrosrick

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 10:36:38 AM »
Now that's the kind of mood music I'd listen to while relaxing with a glass of wine while getting cozy with my wife.
Current Gear: Tyros 5 76 key, and a whole lot of ambition.
Past Gear: Motif XF6, and a whole lot of frustration.
and.....Magnus Chord Organ (when I was 10!)

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 12:03:28 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys. BTW, I don't mind any constructive criticism - if you feel there's anything that I could have done better I'd be happy to hear it. I'm never too confident about my recording practice (I just kinda figure things out as I go along, tbh), so please feel free to suggest improvements. I see the track has been listened to 38 times on Soundcloud just today! :)

Offline maartenb

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 10:11:41 AM »
The track sounds great! I barely recognize the Tyros 5.

Because I hear the Tyros so often, my ears get used to the sounds and styles. With your combination with Omnispehere the style sounds completely fresh!

Sounds very professional, too. Your other tracks on SoundCloud also sound great. I enjoy them.

Keep playing!

Maarten

Offline Del B

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 01:01:17 PM »
Very nice CalUKGR I also like the chillout newage sounds too your performane sounded excellent