Author Topic: Having Cubase To Play PSR Yamaha Keyboard Using Styles  (Read 776 times)

Offline chikitin

Having Cubase To Play PSR Yamaha Keyboard Using Styles
« on: September 01, 2017, 09:33:25 PM »
Hi,

I was wondering if I could have two MIDI tracks created on Cubase, the first track corresponding do the right hand and the second corresponding to the chords playing with left hand so that when I play back the two cubase midi track, it would play the song as if I was playing a song on my PSR keyboard using styles.

Here I am assuming that I would enter in the second cubase MIDI track the chords one by one ( by step recording in key editor).

Similar to this task is possible using the iPhone app Chord Tracker. Chord Tracker analyzes the music in an MP3/audio file and displays a chord chart. One can then choose a style in PSR and play the chord chard from the app. The psr follows the chords received from app:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/apps/chord_tracker/

Here is what I know about PSR midi. The performer can change any parts during playback and recording: the keyboard parts (LEFT, RIGHT 1, 2), Song parts, Style parts (Rhythm 1, 2, Bass, Chord 1, 2, Pad, Phrase 1, 2) , and Multi Pad parts. I can successfully record a song from PSR to cubase and import midi files created using my PSR-A3000 into cubase.

A Song consists of 16 separate channels. You can independently turn each channel of the selected Song playback on or off. Usually, each part is recorded to the following channels.
Channels 1 − 3: keyboard parts
(RIGHT 1, LEFT, RIGHT 2)
Channels 5 − 8: Multi Pad parts
Channels 9 − 16: Style parts 

Source ( PSR manual). I am sorry if I am stating the obvious.

I have attached the sections of manual for Sys/Ex messages for chords and Style control. I was wondering If I could somehow enter the Sys/Ex data into the cubase midi track using Cubase SysEx editor and generic remote or via defining new midi instrument.

Sorry, my knowledge on MIDI is very limited and I do greatly appreciated it someone can help me with that.

Regards,

CS
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 09:37:28 PM by chikitin »

Online EileenL

Re: Having Cubase To Play PSR Yamaha Keyboard Using Styles
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 03:21:00 AM »
I would think it is easier just to sit and play the keyboard the way you want to.

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 04:09:20 AM »
Hi,

It is a lot easier to play the song in your keyboard whilst you are making a midi recording in your keyboard, using the 16 track midi keyboard sequencer.
Export that midi file and open it in Cubase. Edit all tracks individually in Cubase.

Good luck, Jeff
XGW - SONAR PLATINUM - CUBASE 8 WIN - MIXCRAFT8

Online jwyvern

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 04:36:26 AM »
"I was wondering if I could have two MIDI tracks created on Cubase, the first track corresponding do the right hand and the second corresponding to the chords playing with left hand so that when I play back the two cubase midi track, it would play the song as if I was playing a song on my PSR keyboard using styles. "

It should be possible to do this. When playing the track back you need to ensure the PSR accepts the data as if it was being played on the keyboard. So decide what  channel(s) you want to use and edit the PSR midi template so that the Receive for those channels is set to Keyboard.
It seems a lot of work to create all the data in Cubase. I think I would consider recording it to Cubase by playing it on the keyboard rather than manually creating it  - quicker and more intuitive? Then it could still be played back from Cubase into the modified template using different styles and voices set up from the PSR panel as if you were playing live if that is what you are considering.
John
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 04:39:57 AM by jwyvern »

Offline chikitin

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 06:21:52 AM »

It seems a lot of work to create all the data in Cubase. I think I would consider recording it to Cubase by playing it on the keyboard rather than manually creating it  - quicker and more intuitive? Then it could still be played back from Cubase into the modified template using different styles and voices set up from the PSR panel as if you were playing live if that is what you are considering.
John

Thank you folks for the prompt reply:)

I am coming from composing from typesetting software ( Finale, Encore). So I would like to enter notes and let sound modules play the entered notes and data. For songs, I work on a given lyric, then I compose melodies and write chords on the paper. Basically I create a sheet music just like fake books as starting point.

It should be possible to do this. When playing the track back you need to ensure the PSR accepts the data as if it was being played on the keyboard. So decide what  channel(s) you want to use and edit the PSR midi template so that the Receive for those channels is set to Keyboard.

Where can I find the cubase PSR midi template, please?
To simplify the problem. Let's assume I have music sheet an 8-measures music with melody played with Right 1 ( keyboard part) and Style parts. Please see attached.

Here is how chord track sends midi style messages to PSR:

Chord Tracker generates three MIDI metadata records for time signature, key signature and tempo, followed by three System Exclusive messages:

F0 7E 7F 09 01 F7             GM reset
    F0 43 10 4C 00 00 7E 00 F7    XG system ON
    F0 43 60 7A F7                Accompaniment start
The preamble is followed by a slew of Yamaha System Exclusive messages for the chord changes:

F0 43 7E 02 34 00 34 7F F7    Chord control (F maj/F)
    F0 43 7E 00 08 7F F7          Section control (MAIN A ON)
    F0 43 7E 02 23 00 23 7F F7    Chord control (Eb maj/Eb)

Chord Tracker does not generate the Yamaha proprietary CdS1 chunk in the MIDI file. All playback is controlled by metadata and System Exclusive messages.
Source: link = http://sandsoftwaresound.net/chord-tracker-revealed/

Thank you very much,

CS
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 06:51:16 AM by chikitin »

Online jwyvern

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 07:38:43 AM »
CS,
The keyboard itself has midi templates which determine how midi is transmitted and received. Push the Function panel button then select Midi. Then push edit, make your changes then Save after going to the User tab. I am assuming the PSR works similarly to Tyros.
John

Offline chikitin

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 09:13:45 AM »
Thank you. In fact I have been using it.

I figured how to send the chord events using the midi setting in PSR ( midi template). I could send the chord progressions from my DAW to PSR. PSR is detecting the chords sent from cubase and playing the chord progression coming from a MIDI chord tracker ( of course after I did Chord to MIDI). I guess I am getting there.  I can see the SysEx data for style variations in cubase. In fact, I when I export it, it looks like this in the text editor ( It contains only the Style parts say, Intro 1, A, Break, Ending):

0000 3300 0036 0000 3614 8f00 3600 001f
4c8f 001f 0000 234c 0031 4000 3349 0036
288f 0023 0000 3100 0033 0000 3600 0036
148f 0036 0000 2c3c 0033 2600 3622 8f00
2c00 0033 0000 3600 0023 1400 3614 8f00
2300 0036 0000 1f5e 0033 3a00 3652 8f00
1f00 0033 0000 3600 0036 148f 0036 0000
ff2f 00

Now, I need to find a way to create (or edit) and save a midi track with ONLY SysEx data entered in it, measure by measure and then import it in cubase. Are there any tools for that?

I see Midi Editor http://www.midisoft.pl/en/. But this software edits the existing one. Cubase SysEx editor is very limited. I want to have an software with ( graphical user) interface that I enter repeatedly four pieces of data: 1)measure, 2)beat number, 3)chord root, 4)chord type; and at the end the SysEx midi track is created and stored on the disk. Then I import this file into cubase project containing the chords. Then cubase will play as I wanted:)

I am pretty good at programming (Java, Python, C++), how ever my knowledge about midi files is limited. If someone give me a little help, I really appreciate it.

I guess I am getting there!

CS
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 09:21:16 AM by chikitin »

Online jwyvern

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 09:50:24 AM »
CS,
I have never tried writing in sysex from scratch. Normally on the few occasions I've played while recording to DAW I change anything such as style variation or the style itself or Effects using registrations, and the appropriate sysex gets sent by the KB  and recorded. Presumably you could build a track with sysex instructions by recording changes made to the KB panel buttons as an alternative to having to write it all yourself at base level.
John

Online Joe H

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 12:06:17 PM »
chikitin,

I think you are trying to do things the hard way.  Just record with your on-board sequencer and every message you need including sysex will be recorded.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline chikitin

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 05:09:35 PM »
Joe,

Like I said, I want to lay down the chords and style parts in cubase (without recording).  Then press START my DAW's transport bar and use PSR as sound module.

I got the chord parts working. I am pretty sure there is a way to have cubase to trigger style parts.

Thank you,
CS

Online Joe H

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 05:55:12 PM »
CS,

OK, based on my understanding of what you are trying to do, I suggest you download my style Templates file.  There are several style templates for Cubase in them.  The style markers are already there, so you should be able re-position them in Cubase to where you want them, and then add the chord markers.

You can get the Cubase Style Templates over here:
 http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,36111.msg273347.html#msg273347

That thread also offers some suggestion on how to transmit other sysex into Cubase directly from your keyboard.  You might be able to transmit the style markers and Voice and DSP setups by selecting a style Section and insert it in you MIDI template at the position you want too.

Let me know if that works for you.

Joe H
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 06:00:35 PM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Hollande, chikitin

Offline chikitin

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 06:22:58 AM »
CS,

OK, based on my understanding of what you are trying to do, I suggest you download my style Templates file. ....

Let me know if that works for you.

Joe H

Thank you very much. I was about to create the template and I realized it is not that easy! Thank you very much, Joe. It is a HUGE help:)

CS
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 06:49:50 AM by chikitin »

Offline chikitin

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 06:50:43 AM »
Joe,

It works like a charm. Thank you very much.

CS

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 09:24:34 AM »
Hi Joe H,

I want to thank you for your Style Template zip file I just downloaded ! :)

Very useful !
Very much appreciated, Jeff
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:25:41 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Online Joe H

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 01:26:52 PM »
chikitin and Jeff,

Glad you guys can make use of the templates.  All we need now is pro-level style creator software.  I even created a style template for StyleMagic in the event Thomas adds "Import MIDI Loop".  To be able to load clips/loops to any style part of any style section on-the-fly would change the whole way I could create styles.  It would actually revolutionize style making... IMHO.  It would make StyelMagic one-up better than a DAW for creating styles.

;D

Joe H

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 08:09:50 PM »
Hi Joe :

It is my intention to buy this prog as soon as Thomas has finished the update.

Jeff

Offline chikitin

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 04:34:35 AM »
Hi Joe :

It is my intention to buy this prog as soon as Thomas has finished the update.

Jeff

Same here:)

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2017, 04:38:48 AM »
Maybe Thomas has the intention to upgrade once the Genos will be available ... who knows ?  :P

Jeff

Online Joe H

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 06:55:07 AM »
Maybe Thomas has the intention to upgrade once the Genos will be available ... who knows ?  :P

Jeff

I have no idea about that, but I do know he has been working on an update for awhile.. and had some things going on that slowed him down a bit.

I think we will see something new soon.

Joe H
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:07:34 PM by Joe H »