Author Topic: Broken Chord Ballad  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Charles52

Broken Chord Ballad
« on: September 01, 2017, 02:20:04 AM »
Hi

Can anyone suggest a suitable accompaniment please?   If so, where to find it.

Regards

Charles

Offline EileenL

Re: Broken Chord Ballad
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 06:22:45 AM »
Need more information on what you want to do

Offline Charles52

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 10:50:26 AM »
Hi Eileen

Many thanks for your reply.

As you know, the broken chord ballard on its own is a bit bland.  I was wondering if there was a piece of music that would play along with it.  But, with your expertise, maybe there a better way of doing it.  Any ideas would be most welcome.

Kindest regards
Charles

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 01:59:34 AM »
The broken ballad is the accompaniment? Are you trying to figure out some songs it can be used for? Not clear.
Mike

Offline Charles52

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 02:18:17 AM »
Hi

Yes, that would do fine.  Can you suggest any suitable songs please?  Slower tempo preferably.

Regards
Charles

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 03:13:20 AM »
Yes, that would do fine.  Can you suggest any suitable songs please?  Slower tempo preferably.

Charles,

Why are you making it so difficult for people to help you? I still have no idea what you're trying to do.

Is the broken chord a style you're trying to find a song for?
Or, are you playing broken chords in the left hand and wondering why the accompaniment sounds so poor?
Or, is it the name of a song you're trying to find a style for?
Or, something else?

The clearer your question, the quicker you'll get the answer you're looking for.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 03:18:28 AM »
What is the name of the style you are using.

Offline Del B

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 04:23:40 AM »
I believe Charles is asking for the titles of some songs so that he can play the broken balled along to?

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 05:25:45 AM »
I do not recall ever seeing a style called "Broken Ballad" before.

Have him post his "broken ballad" style and then ... maybe we can help him with his question.

Offline Charles52

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 09:01:59 AM »
Thanks all and very much appreciated.

Del has it exactly right and I apologise for not making this clear from the outset.   The problem is that I am still a little out of my depth on this forum.  I  don't pretend to be a keyboard player at all but not too bad with the harmonica and have recently had a modicum of success with my audiences using my 970  for additional colour.   

Having just mastered the Broken Chord Ballad as shown on youtube I thought  I might use this as an introduction for a musical play I am composing.  I have tried it with various styles but not with much sauces.    Recently, whenever I get stuck, Eileen, bless her, manages to read my mind and delivers the goods.

The Broken Chord Ballard uses both hands and covers the whole length of the keyboard.  It is not a style.  It is quite pretty, I like it and it can be showy, which again I like.  But it needs something to go with it.  But what, and how?

You can see the guy on youtube (with an Irish accent) play it, I play it slower.   

Once again, thank you all for you very kind help.

Regards Charles

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 10:20:59 AM »
Link to Broken chord or arpeggios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqL3v8ipAig

The easiest thing I would do is create a multi pad using this method and then it can be used with anything.
Have just quickly made this one.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 10:43:16 AM by EileenL »

The following users thanked this post: carson123mendes, bmarcill, Del B

Offline Del B

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 11:45:20 AM »
Charles songs or styles with 12/8 or 6/8 time signatures work well with broken chords (arpegios), as mike stated the broken chord is usually used the accompaniment, and a pianist may incorporate the use of a broken chord in the melody.
I am guessing you want to play more like a pianist than a keyboard (arranger) player?

Offline mikf

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 12:57:18 PM »
Charles
Broken chords or arpeggios are a fairly simplistic repetitive accompaniment method. The guy on utube is showing piano learners how to do this. Its OK to learn something like this as a training exercise, like paying scales, arpeggios and chromatic runs, but as a piano player, I can tell you that I would very seldom use an accompaniment like this for a singer or other instrument. And as a side point, you really need a pretty decent sustain pedal technique to make it sound right, and few learners can do this effectively. But the whole point of an arranger is that you don't have to play the accompaniment. The arranger styles provide a vastly better and more sophisticated accompaniment that you can play much more easily than a two handed broken chord. Since you have an arranger, I would advise you to forget the broken chord for anything other than hand training, and experiment more with one hand ( or even one finger) chord driven styles.
Mike

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 01:54:12 PM »
Thank you for the multipad, Eileen.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline Charles52

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 02:24:21 AM »
Thank you so much.   Using your great ideas I have finally cracked it.  I went back to trying a few ballad styles, found one that fitted in nicely with my newly learnt Broken Chord Ballard and by inserting Eileen's multipad at the top of each run came up with exactly what I was looking for.   Sounds ok to my ear, so using the maxim, 'If it sounds good, it is good'.

Also during the process you have awakened a few ideas for current project.

Regards
Charles

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 05:35:07 AM »
Thank you so much.   Using your great ideas I have finally cracked it.  I went back to trying a few ballad styles, found one that fitted in nicely with my newly learnt Broken Chord Ballard and by inserting Eileen's multipad at the top of each run came up with exactly what I was looking for.   Sounds ok to my ear, so using the maxim, 'If it sounds good, it is good'.

And the style you used was?

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Charles52

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 06:23:29 AM »
Sorry, I should have mentioned this.  It is 'Blueberry Blues' that I found, almost by accident, on a styles disc that I bought some time ago on ebay.

Regards
Charles

Offline mikf

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 09:07:33 AM »
Charles
Well I guess that if you are happy all is well,  :D ..........but I have to confess that probably like a few others I am still completely baffled by what you were trying to achieve.
Mike

Offline Charles52

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 09:52:59 AM »
Hi Mike

My apologies for any confusion but really it is quite simple.  Having learnt that particular piece, I wondered if I could use it as an intro for one of my gigs.  So with a bit of help from you guys and a bit of luck on finding a suitable style, it works just fine.   It is dead easy to play, but looks good and sounds good.  I must admit being somewhat lazy so I tend to look to for maximum effect for minimum effort when preparing for gigs and the above fits the bill nicely.

If I can find any more, of similar ilk, I would be delighted.

Kindest regards
Charles

Offline mikf

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 10:23:47 AM »
Charles
Now I see. I guess that I don't think of it as a 'piece' ... and I doubt the guy demonstrating it means it as a 'piece' . He is demonstrating how you can use that kind of technique to build an accompaniment. And because he is aiming at learners he is showing only the most basic version of this kind of technique. The name Broken Chord Ballad, is not the name of a piece. Its just a made up name for the technique when used to accompany a ballad - much neater than saying something like 'two handed sustained arpeggio in 4/4 time for accompanying a ballad'. The chords he chooses are just at random to show the principle and not meant to be an actual piece. You then play the appropriate chords and changes for the song you choose.  You also have to tailor exact notes in the arpeggio to fit the timing. For example - say you play the Elvis song ' I cant help falling in love with you' which might work with this kind of accompaniment, ... The chord sequence would be C /Emin/ Amin...etc... but the changes would not fall exactly on the full sequence of notes as he played them so you would have to tailor it. This is one of these things that is hard to describe, but obvious if I am showing you at the keyboard.
 BTW ..Have you experimented with the ballad intros provided on the Tyros? Some are spectacular. 
Mike

Offline Charles52

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 12:37:09 AM »
Thanks  Mike for really good advice.  And I see where I inadvertently caused some confusion.  I thought that is was a 'piece' that everyone knew about.

I have just about scraped the surface of the potential of the 970 but since reading your message I have found the number 3 into for '80s Analog Ballad' which could be ideal for a mood setting intro, so, again, thank you for this.

Presently, I am experimenting with creating multipads, which is yet another little challenge.

Regards
Charles

Offline Charles52

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 12:50:21 AM »
Eileen

Thank you so much for multipad, since when I have been doing a bit of experimenting.  All good stuff so far but I am wondering why my creations pale significantly next to yours.  What am I doing wrong?   I suspect that you are using a sustain pedal (which is still on my wish list) on the first note, but what else I wonder?  I am using the Grand Piano Voice.

Any help and/or suggestions would very much appreciated.

Kindest regards
Charles

Offline EileenL

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 04:56:45 AM »
Hello Charles,
  I did use the sustain pedal held down all the time as this appears to be the only way you can record sustain to Multi Pads. I have added Pad 3 and 4 to the bank now No 4 being 6/8

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 12:03:11 PM »
Thank you for the multipad, Eileen.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: Charles52

Offline EileenL

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 02:56:44 PM »
You are welcome Roger.

Offline Charles52

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2017, 02:02:42 AM »
Hi Eileen

Thank you so much for the updated mulitipad which I just download and tried out.  Very nice indeed.

Regards
Charles

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2017, 02:54:49 AM »
Thank you, Eileen ! :)

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN