Author Topic: EW400 or some YPG?  (Read 408 times)

Offline Guitarist

EW400 or some YPG?
« on: August 28, 2017, 09:50:57 PM »
Hello,

I'm thinking about selling my PSR-433 to get a 76 keys Yamaha keyboard. If you were me, wich one would you get, EW400 or YPG235?

Regards.

Offline SciNote

Re: EW400 or some YPG?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 10:26:24 PM »
Well, I also have a PSR-E433, and for me, I would definitely go with the EW400, as from what I can tell, the YPG235 does not have the ability to edit the sound with filter and envelope capability, like the PSR-E4x3 and EW400 keyboards.  Also, from what I can see in the photos, the YPG235 only has 2 registration buttons per registration bank, which to me is a major limitation, and one of the main reasons I had little interest in new Yamaha home/portable keyboards for years until I saw the E433, which has 4 registrations per bank.  If you're playing a song live, more registrations per bank give you much more flexibility to quickly change the sounds you are using in different parts of a song with as few button-presses as possible.

And while the YPG235 has piano-style keys, they are not weighted keys.  Usually, you have to get into around the $500 price range for weighted keys.

Still, some people like the piano-style keys better then the organ/synth keys on the EW400, and from the brief research I just did, it appears that the YPG235 has a full-keyboard fingered chord mode for the styles, which lets the auto-accompaniment derive the chord you are playing from keys you are playing anywhere on the keyboard, not just keys being played on the left part of the keyboard.  For people who use auto-accompaniment, this can be a useful feature, and it is not on the EW400, as far as I know.  Double-check this to be sure, but that is what one reviewer wrote.

Beyond that, based on my brief research, both keyboards have a 6-track sequencer, but the EW400 has greater polyphony (48 notes versus 32), more sounds, and more effects (as the EW400 has a DSP function).  But, the EW400 is also more expensive, so that is a trade-off, as well.

They both appear to be very good keyboards for the price, but unless the specific features I mentioned above are important to you, it looks like you get quite a few more features for the extra $150 or so that the EW400 costs.
Bob
Yamaha PSR-E433
Yamaha PSR-520

The following users thanked this post: Guitarist

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 11:09:15 PM »
I agree, the PSR-EW400 would be a better keyboard than the YPG-235. Even the PSR-EW300 would probably be better than the YPG-235, although the PSR-EW400 would be better than the PSR-EW300, especially if you're already used to the features of the PSR-E433.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Guitarist

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 04:32:04 PM »
Hello there,

Before making this thread, I watched some videos on YouTube and found that the YPG sounds more opaque using its outputs, and the EW400 sounds pretty "shiny" compared with the other one (heard only piano).

Bob, you answered all my doubts. I was wondering the differeces between them, specially on the Grand Piano sound.
The thing I like of the YPG is the piano style keys. I know it's just aesthetic, but it looks really cool.

tnicoson I think this is the first EW model, surely they'll add improvements on the future models.

Michael, I almost put the thread on the PSR section, because I see the EW is an enhanced PSR ,finally I decided to place my thread here.

I'll go for the EW400. You, guys, helped me a lot. I needed some information and I got here with your replies.

Thank you very much, Bob, Michael and tnicoson.
Regards

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:38:52 PM by Guitarist »

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 06:00:14 PM »
One other thing to remember about the YPG-235, a.k.a. the DGX-230, is that it's now a pretty old model. As far as I know, the DGX-230, DGX-530, and DGX-630 were released in the same year. The DGX-230 and DGX-530 haven't been updated, but meanwhile the DGX-630 was replaced by the DGX-640, then the DGX-650, and then the DGX-660. That's not to say that the DGX230/YPG-235 and the DGX-530/YPG-535 aren't good keyboards, just that they haven't been improved with any new voices, styles, and other features the way the DGX-630 has.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Guitarist

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 07:03:22 PM »
Yeah, I was reading some threads and I read a reply from you, saying that the YPG is a 2008 keyboard. It's pretty old now, and that's one of the reasons why that I decided to EW400.

Thank you for the extra info, Mike.