Author Topic: Play back recorded volume very low.  (Read 879 times)

Offline Tyrosrat

Play back recorded volume very low.
« on: August 27, 2017, 12:32:11 AM »
Tyros 5. Recorded an extra part but as soon as you play back it is very quiet so that when I play over the top it is drowned out. Have gone into mixer and set volume to full. Modulator wheel is off. Song volume is full on balance. Hit top G and reset. Checked in creator and volume looks fine, all at 105 but still only playing back at 20 % or so of the volume I recorded it at. Mega frustrating but hoping it is something easy I have missed.

Hoping for some help.

Cheers folks.

Offline EileenL

Re: Play back recorded volume very low.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 04:06:32 AM »
Go into the actual song creator and tab to 1-16. Now select the track you have recorded and look at the volume it shows there. Adjust to suit. Also what do you have your touch set to.

Offline Tyrosrat

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 11:19:09 AM »
Thanks Eileen. 1/16 is set to 105 and touch is 105 but still hard to hear. Works on audio fine but not on song recorder. Most odd.

Online Joe H

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 11:54:41 AM »
Maybe you recorded it at a low Note Velocity.  In that case you could edit it with MixMaster to increase all Note Velocities

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 12:12:07 AM »
Tyrosrat,
On reading your original post you say " Recorded an extra part". Although you were playing a voice in R1 to do this, which is fine,  normally when multi recording (over an  existing recording) the actual channel you record to is not channel 1 but is selected by you to be one of the free channels often 5 to 8 or any free one. So are you using or inspecting the correct channel?
John

« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 12:13:57 AM by jwyvern »

Offline Tyrosrat

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 04:51:31 AM »
Tried track 5 but still low volume. It's the extra melody on mornings at seven by James Last. It sort of works in multi pad, at the correct volume and also in audio recorder but not in song recorder. Think it is a software conflict or a fault. Off to the dealer next week to try the same recording on a tyros 5 and see if it is ok on a different instrument. Just feels to me as if i am missing something.

Cheers.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 06:30:39 AM »
Why not post the song (or even just part of it) and let others take a look at it.

There could be several possible reasons for the problem, which can all be checked using Song Creator or MixMaster etc.

The first thing that I would do is to check the velocity values of each individual note to see if they are all low.  This is essentially what Joe H was suggesting.

There should be a Volume control event in the first bar (CC7 which actually reflects what is shown as that channel's level setting in the Mixing Console) which may be set to a low value, or possibly even an Expression event (CC11) too!  Note that each channel can have a different volume setting so you need to actually be displaying the relevant channel to see the level set for it.

Did you have an expression pedal connected when you recorded the affected part?

If the part is using a DSP, then this may affect the volume.

Regards

Ian

Online Joe H

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 07:00:14 AM »
I agree with Ian.  If the Volume is set to 105 and you still have low Volume, it could be a low Expression (cc11) value that is causing the problem. I don't use the Volume pedal so I didn't think of that possibility.

Posting you file here may help.  It's not a keyboard problem as far as I can tell... most likely "operator error". 

;)

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Tyrosrat

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 12:49:13 PM »
Not able to look in detail until the weekend and not sure I understood the comments in full but....disconnected the three pedals that I use and recording/playback is now at full volume. More work needed but getting there.

Thanks folks.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 01:06:05 PM »
Not able to look in detail until the weekend and not sure I understood the comments in full but....disconnected the three pedals that I use and recording/playback is now at full volume. More work needed but getting there.

You should still post the midi file so people can help you out with if.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Online Joe H

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 02:08:33 PM »
Tyrosrat,

What has been suggested is that an Expression message may have been recorded into the MIDI channel with the low volume. Even if you have unplugged the pedals now, that won't make a difference. A CC11 message with a value less than 127 embedded in the file can cause the problem you are experiencing.

Joe H

Offline Tyrosrat

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 12:22:10 PM »
Hopefully a brief recording which shows the problem. Have found that switching off the song track on the volume pedal sort of solves the problem but a bit of a nuisance remembering to do it every time.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 03:01:53 PM »
The example file that you posted contains a Channel 1 Volume (CC7) event which is set to 72 (max is 127).  This corresponds to the level setting for the channel as shown in the Mixing Console (SONG CH 1-8) 'Vol/Voice' page.

It also contains a single Expression (CC11) event which is set to just 63 (about 50%).  You can't see this in a Mixing Console display but you can see it along with the Volume event in Song Creator's '1-16' page set to show Ch1.

The Expression event will further reduce the Ch1 output volume from the already quite low Volume (CC7=72), and if you are getting Expression events included in your MIDI recordings, this is likely to be why the output is low.  The Volume and Expression events are recorded once in the first measure of the song when you arm the Record function, but if the pedal function is set to ON for the part being recorded (R1), additional ones are recorded throughout the song if you vary your pedal setting during the recording. When played back the channel will follow these.

I believe that you have a TRX system which I don't have, but I have a Tyros4 with a Yamaha FC7 pedal connected.

I found that if the pedal has not been moved since turning on the power, no expression event is recorded in the song.  If you have moved the pedal after switching on the power, then when you arm the record function, the expression level corresponding to the pedal at that time is saved in the song as an Expression (CC11) event.

So you could try pressing the pedal fully down before arming the record.  This should represent the maximum expression setting of 127 which is effectively the same as not including the event in the song.

In fact if I do that on my T4 (meaning that the expression setting is 127), the event isn't even recorded in the song!

So doing this may remove the need to unplug pedals or turn them off for certain channels unless the TRX setup works differently to a stand alone Tyros. 

If you have any existing recordings with low volumes that are due to a low expression setting, you can easily modify them using the Song Creator '1-16' page set to display the relevant channel.  You need to open each 'suspect' channel individually, and then you can either increase the CC11 setting, or delete the event altogether.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:56:22 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline Tyrosrat

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 05:26:37 AM »
Thanks Ian for your detailed reply. I will print and work my way through it. I do not actually have a Trx system. Just a stand alone tyros 5 with three foot pedals attached. A piano sustain, volume and clicker to change registrations. All genuine Yahama pedals.