Author Topic: transferring wave from midi file  (Read 938 times)

Offline meyrick

transferring wave from midi file
« on: August 26, 2017, 02:00:54 AM »
Hi All. Can anyone please help. I am having problems transferring my recorded midi to the Audio Recorder on my Tyros 4. It used to be a quite simple process, but now for some unknown reason, the screen shows, "The audio file @S_Audio_001_WAV." was newly created. To start the recording, press the{PLAY/pause} button. all well and good.  The recorder starts but then shows, Exclamation mark in a yellow Triangle followed by "This drive is busy now".
The counter in the top right corner returns to Zero and unless the play is cancelled the keyboard is frozen, although the midi file continues to play.
This also cancels the TRX system which has to be reinstalled.
Up to a few days ago I had no problems with this process and cannot think what I may have done to cause it to stop working.
I have gone to the extreme of doing a complete factory reset, but it has not cured the problem.
Any suggestion would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
meyrick

Offline EileenL

Re: transferring wave from midi file
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 03:06:15 AM »
This can indicate a hard drive problem. It may need changing. Best people to help are Yamaha.

Offline meyrick

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 04:28:54 AM »
Many thanks Eileen. You may be correct, as there are a couple of other niggardly things which don't always work properly.  When I installed the Lower Split Voices purchased from Jason Lee, they worked for a short time but I am now having problems with these, sometimes they work OK, others not.
I'll give it a little more time and await any further answers to my question.
I really do appreciate the help available on this excellent Forum.

Offline meyrick

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 04:29:55 AM »
Hi Eileen. With reference to your suggestion the Hard Drive may be faulty.
I have to day removed the hard drive and connected it to my computer with a USB connector. I copied all the files to a separate drive but did not format. This was due to the format could only be as exFAT. Not sure why so did not do. However, I transferred files and programs to the Tyros hard drive and all the files worked as expected, as did the programs.
Replaced the Tyros hard drive and formatted. Copied some SoundPacks to the hard drive and used these copies to load via Voice Creator/Library load.
All work fine so, I am reluctant to say, I think the Tyros hard drive is in full working order.. I am of course, willing to accept you may be correct in your statement, as I am not so fully conversant with the inner working of the Tyros.
Just one other point, the hard disk recorder does not work from the keyboard so I am assuming there is something more wrong with the inner workings.
Regards
meyrick     

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 05:01:57 AM »
I only know that two of my friends had the same problem with recording. It kept saying DRIVE BUSY and it turned out to be the hard drive. It has to work fast when recording Audio information. Worth a word with Yamaha.

Just another thought. What do you have your hard drive sleep time set to. When recording Audio have it set to Never.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 05:04:04 AM by EileenL »

Offline meyrick

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 06:17:32 AM »
Hi Eileen. Thanks very much for your input. The Sleep time of the hard drive has always been set to never, I've just checked to be sure, and it is set on never.
I will contact the guy at Sweetwater in Indiana USA where I purchased the keyboard, who has been quite helpful in the past. If no go, then as you say, Yamaha will have to have their ear bent a little.
Once again, thanks for your help. I will post as soon as I get an answer to the problem

Kind Regards
meyrick

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 06:57:05 AM »
Hi Meyrick,

I wonder if this is anything to do with your hard drive being almost full recently.

Have you now created some space on the drive?

If you haven't done this yet, it might be worth clearing some (transfer some files to USB for example) and trying the audio recorder again.

Even if you have cleared space the drive could be quite fragmented which might be causing the problem.  The Tyros OS does not have a 'Defrag' function for the hard drive, so you would need to connect to a computer and do it from there.  However I would not recommend this in your situation!

Instead I would connect to a computer and copy everything from the T4 drive to the PC, then format the drive on the T4 (which seems to carry out the equivalent of a 'Quick Format'), and finally connect it back to the computer and copy everything back to the drive. This also leaves you with a backup copy of the drive.

Although this process will take some time, it is likely to be quicker than defragging the drive if it only has a small amount of empty space on it.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 06:59:20 AM by tyrosaurus »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 07:42:13 AM »
If you read the members posts he has already done this.

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 10:29:03 AM »
If you read the members posts he has already done this.

Hi Eileen,

After reading the thread again (more carefully  :-[), you are correct, although he didn't say if he had reduced the number of files to increase space on the drive.

However I also checked his other thread about his drive being full, and in his latest reply to that thread he did confirm that he had created some space on the drive (https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,39303.msg304168.html#msg304168),

So what he says he has done so far should have created some space and also had the effect of fixing any fragmentation of the drive, whether that was causing problems or not!

Just out of interest, the bandwidth required for recording stereo audio in Yamaha's '.wav' format is 1,411 kilobits per second (equivalent to 176.4 kilobytes per second) which is well within the performance of any (healthy) hard disk, even when crippled by being connected to the system via a USB interface as Yamaha has chosen to do in the Tyros3, 4 and 5!

Regards

Ian

Offline meyrick

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 06:33:35 PM »
Hi Ian and Eileen. Just to clarify. I did remove the hard drive. I did in fact remove all the files from it but did not format due to the exFAT format, which other than NTFS was all that was available. As I said, I copied files and 4 programs to the Tyros hard drive and all worked as expected. These were then removed and the hard drive replaced into the Tyros. It was then formatted, and as said some SoundPacks files were loaded and installed via 'Voice Creator'. These were 'Cinema 1 & 2, Theatre Magic and the Entertainer Pack. They all load without problems, as did the TRX system.
Reading your replies brought to mind one other option I could try, which is to remove the hard drive and attach to the computer, then use 'CCleaner' to wipe the empty space, in this case the complete H/D.
If this does not work then I will contact Sweetwater in the US, as they have been very helpful with other problems, although not related to Tyros. If no joy there, then as Eileen says, Yamaha would have to be contacted. However, this may have it's own problems as the Tyros was purchased from the US and shipped to Thailand.
I will keep you posted as to progress I may, or may not be making.
Kindest regards and many thanks for your help
meyrick

Offline meyrick

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2017, 04:56:40 AM »
Hello to Eileen and Ian
As promised here is the update to my recording problem
I received a reply from Sweetwater,USA. They admitted that they have never come across this problem before. This from the biggest music store in Fort worth. Neither had their Yamaha rep, but both agreed it was possibly the hard drive.
So, today Thursday 07/09/2017 I purchased a 500GB replacement hard drive. Having inserted and formatted, the recording system from both the keyboard direct and from stored midi files, works perfectly.
Eileen, you were correct, my apologies for doubting you. At a reasonable cost of 37.50, I am up and running in full flow again.
My sincere thanks for your assistance, it really is appreciated.