Author Topic: "realistic" drums during PSR 970 live performance  (Read 570 times)

Offline musicgw

"realistic" drums during PSR 970 live performance
« on: August 20, 2017, 09:01:21 PM »
Hi, New PSR970 user (4 hours per day for 6 months) with entry level midi knowledge here.  The web is full of discussions about setting up 'realistic" drum sound , using multiple speakers, drum samplers or drum machines.  Can someone share:

(1)  How to route, say Channel 10 drums to a totally different set of PA/sub woofer system specially matched for drums, placed strategically  so as to create the room effect.  as much as possible  of real drummer. That midi drum track will be created by using expensive drum samples software such as from  FXpansion BFD 3. Many claimed that has one of the best multi-sampled drums and cymbal sound, but is memory hungry.  https://fxpansion.com/products/bfd3/

(2) Being new, I cannot seem to find out how to route one or multiple midi tracks to different speaker systems.  PSR970 only as one stereo audio output.  Check out a band called Austerity Program...two guys but maybe 10 -15 speakers.. I only want 1/2 that many for different midi instrument tracks....Sorry getting carried away.

(2)   At the end of the day,  can the psr 970 sampled drum kits  create similar "realistic" drum and cymbal sounds without going to BFD 3.

Thanks..

Offline rizkhancnn

Re: "realistic" drums during PSR 970 live performance
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 08:25:00 PM »
you can not put channel 10 output directly to amplifier. you have to insert a drum/synth module between, and output that module to amplifier. i used alesis dm10 with good results ;)

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 10:07:49 AM »
I have been experimenting by un-quantify the timing for giving the styles a more human feel ....

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 11:59:48 AM »
Quote,
"(2)   At the end of the day,  can the psr 970 sampled drum kits  create similar "realistic" drum and cymbal sounds without going to BFD 3."

Assuming you will get similar results on the PSR as I get with Tyros 5, try assigning a suitable distortion effect to DSP 1 then turn up the Send on the drum channel. The distortion that has most effect on Tyros is US High Gain Solo and Sends in the range of 5 to 15 are often more than enough.
Other distortion types eg. in Legacy may need much higher sends (and others may have no effect even at high sends so trial and error may be necessary if the High Gain Solo does not give what you are looking for). 
John
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 12:07:53 PM by jwyvern »

Offline Stratcat

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 03:26:05 PM »
Rolfeilert, I didn't know that was possible.
Will have to look into that.
Jim
Best Wishes,
Jim
PSR S970, 1987 Strat+

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 08:12:54 AM »
I do know personally clever musicians playing at my local pub with some clever programming make their PSR-*** machines sound top notch, far superior than my initially configured Tyros4.