Author Topic: A quick question....  (Read 740 times)

Offline CRTyros

A quick question....
« on: August 19, 2017, 08:17:53 AM »
hi all Tyros 5 users....

I was playing around with a sound and using the dsp when i noticed a button that I have not used before.
The button in question is part of the "voice effect" and called "variation".

I have been reading the manual but can not find any useful information.

What does it do?

/Claudio

Offline jwyvern

Re: A quick question....
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 09:38:25 AM »
If you go to the Effect tab of Voice Set and scroll down to DSP you will see at bottom right Variation Parameter.
As an example if you select the Rotary SP DSP the parameter selected for you (by Yamaha) is LFO frequency and the Variation default value is shown as 5.38. You can scroll this to a setting of your own if needed. If this DSP is applied to (usually) an organ voice with variation off it gives a slow rotary effect to the sound (frequency 0.55 being in the main DSP settings). Turning the Variation button on or off allows you to speed up to 5.38 or slow down the effect at will.
The changes you make in Voice Set and the status of the Variation button will save to registrations ( with Voice ticked) .
The various DSP types have different parameters chosen as their variations. As examples (not complete by any means) :
Tempo Delay and some distortions may specify Delay Time.
Compressors may choose ratio or threshold.
EQ DSP's may choose mid or high gain.
Some reverbs may choose reverb time.
In most cases you would not be looking to change these while playing as you might with rotary. They are a way of quickly setting those parameters (if they happen to be the ones you can make use of!) without having to go to the extra hassle of editing the main DSP, in which case you'd have to save your changes as a user effect because on Tyros's general DSP edits do not save to registrations. 
John
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:01:30 PM by jwyvern »

The following users thanked this post: CRTyros

Offline CRTyros

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 11:54:03 AM »
Hi John,

Thanks for the response.

/Claudio

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 09:51:24 AM »
As John says, many organ voices use the rotary speaker effect with variation on/off corresponding to slow/fast (or vice versa).

You can assign the pedal function to be DSP Variation on/off. This lets you easily switch between slow and fast rotary using the pedal while playing rather than having to press the button with a spare hand.
S770