Author Topic: Game Changer Keyboard  (Read 1520 times)

Online Oldden

Game Changer Keyboard
« on: August 17, 2017, 03:08:52 PM »
Hi,
Any thoughts what was a game changer keyboard for them. I bought a psr3000 and thought it was magic. Colour display, loads of styles and sounds, to me it was a big advance from anything that went before. Then the Tyros series came along, another game changer. Everybody must have a favourite that they thought WOW, but perhaps have different views than me. Let's hope that the next keyboard is a game changer for everybody. Not everybody wants or needs to get into the finer points of the operating system, some just want to switch on and play. I hope that the next keyboard will cater for both. Whatever Yamaha come up with you can be sure that, they have to make something to suit as many customers as possible in order to sell as many keyboards as possible in order to to keep in business.  To many manufacturers of keyboards, organs pianos and the rest have fallen by the wayside it is a diminishing market for certain types of keyboards as users get older and youngsters want something different, it needs a certain amount of time and practice to learn to play. Is the future going to be just press a button and of it plays a sound bite or loop.

Olden

Offline advid

Re: Game Changer Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 03:34:24 AM »
..No offence meant to anyone on this forum...I still have my Tyros 4...and I agree the 3000  was indeed a game changer for me and then my Tyros another massive game changer... BUT..the thing that really changed my outlook on arranger keyboards was my change (after  4 previous Yamaha keyboard over  15 years) buying a Korg PA900...
Don't want to start yet another Korg/Yamaha war on here but to me the PA900 does 'everything' I need... for both home and gigs....
The Tyros is great for home recording but for 'live' ...give me my Korg....

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 05:48:03 AM »
..No offence meant to anyone on this forum...I still have my Tyros 4...and I agree the 3000  was indeed a game changer for me and then my Tyros another massive game changer... BUT..the thing that really changed my outlook on arranger keyboards was my change (after  4 previous Yamaha keyboard over  15 years) buying a Korg PA900...
Don't want to start yet another Korg/Yamaha war on here but to me the PA900 does 'everything' I need... for both home and gigs....
The Tyros is great for home recording but for 'live' ...give me my Korg....

I would be interested in hearing specifically what features the Korg has that you like over Yamaha.
Current Gear: Roland E-A7, KRK Rokit 5s.
Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740, Yamaha PSR-1100, Yamaha PSR-S750, Roland BK-3.

Online Empire29

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 10:55:47 AM »
Only my opinion....I would love to see these two features on yamaha from korg.

Sample import - I would love to import a wave file of a rhythm and be able to slice it on the keyboard within minutes like korg does. This makes having an arranger fun and easy to use. I sample everything I have on the korg and with Yamaha it seems I would have to use a computer to import anything. Lots of steps to put in a simple sample. It's a big reason lots of korg users won't switch to yamaha yet. Would love to see this on the next yamaha.

Style edit - korg has probably the best engine for editing your style or rhythm. The auto quantization on korg is the way yamaha should have it. Every time you add a clap or kick on a style,, you have to quantize it after. Copying and pasting features on the korg are by far the best. Everything is at the tip of your finger tips. You can make a style with chords and bass lines and a sample for the rhythm right away on the korg. It's a long process to make on the yamaha tyros line.

I feel like you can start making a complete style from morning and use it the night of your gig with korg. Yamaha needs to make this a little better for users. If they add these features, they can easily take away the korg users and make them Loyal to yamaha.

Again, this is just my opinion.

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 01:17:17 PM »
I agree, style editing and creation should be as easy as possible.
Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740, Yamaha PSR-1100, Yamaha PSR-S750, Roland BK-3.

Offline advid

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 02:55:49 AM »
I would be interested in hearing specifically what features the Korg has that you like over Yamaha.

.....apart from the superb editing features and total way you  can alter and modify  just about 'everyhing' using the Korg O.S. to produce the style you want I found that the Korg seems to produce a more 'alive' and dynamic  sound with its built in styles... You really feel sometimes like it's a  'real' group or band playing with you.. I never seem to get that  with my Tyros...the styles are more sedate and lack that reality that comes across in the Korg.... This is perhaps more noticeable when playing at gigs...the Korg seems to put that 'sound and feel' over to the  audience....If it's a dance gig rather than a sit down restaurant (dinner music) the music gets through and it's dancing time after a couple of intro tunes..
(just my opinion - don't want to upset anyone...)

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 07:13:24 AM »
Advid-thanks for the reply!

Offline Lloyd E

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 05:18:50 AM »
Everyone hears different so it's personal choice. No keyboard is best for everyone. Just read this forum to prove it.  Lloyd

Offline Bachus

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 10:40:21 AM »
Everyone hears different so it's personal choice. No keyboard is best for everyone. Just read this forum to prove it.  Lloyd

Sound is not the main reason to choose your arranger on...

Sounds and styles can be tweaked, a korg can be made to sound like a yamaha, a yamaha can be made to sound like a korg...

In the end they all sound sensational compared to when we all started playing...

I base my choice of keyboards almost entirely on the features...
Life is like a box of chocolats, you never know what you are gonna get, so enjoy them all.  I am wayting for the next box of chocolate the Yamaha Genos.

Admin of : www.keyszone.boards.net

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 01:24:34 PM »
I would suggest that if you wish to see some specific changes or additional features with an upcoming arranger keyboard, sit down at your PC and write a letter to Yamaha. The do listen to what we say about their products and quite often provide us with the new features requested. A few years ago, Yamaha's Technical Support Director, Steve Demming, started a thread on several forums called "Yamaha Listens". In the thread he asked forum members for suggestions on what new features they would like to see on upcoming models. For the most part, nearly all of those suggestions were put into the new PSR-S and Tyros series arranger keyboards within the next two years. To my knowledge, no other manufacturer has done this.

All the best,

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 08:03:22 AM »
You bought your PSR-3000 and thén the Tyros series came along?
The PSR-3000 came 2 years after the first Tyros my friend :)

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 08:56:06 AM »

I would like to know Korg's and Yamaha's market share in the USA.

What about other brands in the US like Ketron e.g. ?

Are arranger keyboards popular in the US or does America prefer piano's, synths or organs ?
Is the arranger kb market growing in the USA ?
What about the Yamaha and Korg dealers in the USA, I mean how many ?

In Europe there are approx. 400 official Yamaha arranger dealers.
Most of these dealers are also selling other brands like Korg and Casio but Yamaha arrangers are #1, I guess. Most European dealers have showrooms and use the internet to sell their arrangers.

IMHO Yamaha's market share is more important than Korg's as far as Europe is concerned.

I have no UK numbers either.

Thank you for your feedback, Jeff

XGW - SONAR PLATINUM - CUBASE 8 WIN - MIXCRAFT8

Offline mbriggs

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 10:17:09 AM »
Bradge

I think you need to take Olden's statement in the context that FOR HIM, the PSR-3000 came before the Tyros.  I believe the PSR-3000 was released in 2004.  I bought mine (new) in December of 2006, so it was a two year old model line, when I bought it, but it was almost another year after that before I became aware of the Tyros through a demo by Michel Voncken.  So, until I became more familiar with Yamaha's Arranger product lines, there was probably a period where I was under the impression that the PSR-3000 preceded the Tyros.  Like the old cliche says "everything is relative".

Matt
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:20:27 AM by mbriggs »

Offline mikf

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 11:33:27 AM »
Jeff
Market shares have been discussed many times, but I don't think anyone has the answer because typically the market figures published or available to the public are  not sliced by arrangers and other keyboards. But I can say this, although arrangers may not have as big a share of the portable market as workstations or low end keyboards, in a market the size of the North America, that could amount to significant numbers. I have no idea what the Yamaha /Korg split is, but my guess is that Yamaha is the king of the arranger sales. Ketron share is tiny.

Offline pjd

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 12:36:05 PM »
Please read through the thread:

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,38166.msg293009.html#msg293009

for USA sales statistics. This level detail is about all there is (publicly). I'm sure that Yamaha dealers report statistics back to the mothership as part of their dealer agreement.

All the best -- pj

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 12:48:24 PM »
Thank you both for your feedback !😄

Jeff
XGW - SONAR PLATINUM - CUBASE 8 WIN - MIXCRAFT8

Offline mikf

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2017, 02:40:19 PM »
Although its doesn't seem possible to get the numbers, I do believe it's reasonable to assume that overall the Tyros and associated arranger type keyboards are a very successful and important product range for Yamaha. This is why they constantly update, and launch with a lot of market hype. It's also why I think that views often expressed on threads like this that 'Yamaha will have to introduce workstation type features to expand the market, attract a younger user, maintain leadership' are way off the mark. The fact is that Yamaha has already found a great base market for arrangers - all the millions of people who want to play or learn to play a musical instrument in their later years. As people become more affluent, retire younger etc, this market is probably growing, not shrinking. And millions of new people enter this market every year, because aging is not optional! ;D
Mike

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 04:00:36 PM »
Hi

I do love my Tyros 5 ,but the old Technics KN 2000 takes a lot of beating  8)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 07:13:33 AM »
I liked my KN6000 very much to. They were very good in there day. I managed to convert most of the styles which I still use today.

Offline Lloyd E

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 09:54:29 AM »
I had a KN7000, a truly great board. I was so looking forward to the next model and was very disappointed when they stopped making keyboards. I talked to Rosemary Bailey who had previously worked for Technics and told me she was not at all surprised when they stopped making keyboards as they had very little interest in producing them. Talk about abandoning a gold mine !   Lloyd