Author Topic: Using a PSR S970 as a performance keyboard/synth  (Read 373 times)

Offline ham n egz

Using a PSR S970 as a performance keyboard/synth
« on: August 17, 2017, 10:14:10 AM »
I love my 970, the sounds, the weight, and would love to use it on gigs as a keyboard without accompaniment, styles, chords, etc. IOW just the tones either split or layered.

I cannot seem to be able to write a "program" into memory based on what one does with a yamaha/korg/roland performance/part.

I can set up a split with an organ in the LH, a piano in the right, assign the DSP rotary to the LH organ. I think I have to create a new song based on these settings, then hot record for a bar  to "set" these settings, then save as a new song.(?)

If I do that it forgets the dsp settings,octave down for rh settings, and sometimes the lh tone.I have checked all the individual parameters to be saved with a song(tone, dsp, etx)

Is there a tutorial somewhere laying this all out?

Thanks in advance

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: Using a PSR S970 as a performance keyboard/synth
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 11:07:43 AM »
Things like Split Points are 'System' settings, and once set will be remembered even when you turn off the power.

However for many other settings including style, voices, pedal settings, etc., the keyboard will always load defaults each time that is is turned on.

The good news is that you should be able to save the settings that you want in a Registration, which you can then simply select after the keyboard boots up, to restore your preferred setup.

I would suggest that first you read up about Registrations in the Owner's and Reference Manuals, and also download a copy of the 'PSR-S970 Data List' from your local Yamaha (support) website, where you will find the 'Parameter Chart' which shows where each parameter setting can be saved.

If you then try saving your settings to a registration, and if you have any specific points or problems, you can post back.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:11:49 AM by tyrosaurus »

Offline ham n egz

Re: Using a PSR S970 as a performance keyboard/synth
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 05:39:07 AM »
Thank you for the guidance. I was able to create some registrations but I dont know if this is a quirk or intentional, but I have to press a registration button twice to call up the correct  settings/
The first time I push it seems to bring up something different then the second push brings the correct settings.

Also it doesnt seem to remember the upper/lower setting for the DSP(most of my splits are organ in the LH and a rotary dsp assigned there.
I have one registration where the organ is the RH voice and dsp is assigned there, when I switch away and come back dsp is back to the LH