Author Topic: Expansion Packs Loading Problem  (Read 1055 times)

Offline dv01

Expansion Packs Loading Problem
« on: August 17, 2017, 08:59:52 AM »

Hi everyone,

I have bought a pack which they sent me a cpi file and also 2 cpf files.  I loaded the cpi and they styles they sent me play exactly like they're supposed to which the voices point the expansion folder after I loaded.  Then I used YEM software to combine the 2 cpf files with a YEP file I've been using and created a new cpi file which contains everything.  I loaded the file just fine but when I played the styles the voices pointed to the Preset folders, not the Expansion one.  Does anyone have any idea how to fix that?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Online Joe H

Re: Expansion Packs Loading Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 11:23:16 AM »
If I understand you correctly,  You got 2 .cpf files.  One is Voices and the other is styles.  If this is correct then I would suggest you Import the styles a "Content"  What I mean is to Import the .cpf style pack as Content into the Voice pack.  This should solve the problem.  If you combined the 2 packs into a single .cpi, probably what happened is that each pack was assigned a different LSB.  And if that was the case, the Voice messages in the style pack did not match the Voice messages of the Voice pack.

By Importing the styles into the Voice pack, they become one pack and the styles will be assigned the same LSB as the Voices by the YEM software.

Joe H
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:50:39 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline dv01

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 05:43:27 PM »
  Hi,
  The 2 cpf files include only voices

Online Joe H

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 07:15:49 PM »
Maybe you can explain a little more.  It still sounds to me to be a Voice Bank Select message issue.  More information would help.  Are the styles included in one of the packs or are they somewhere else like on  the User Drive or USB drive?.  If a style can't find the Voices because the Bank Select messages are wrong, then the keyboard will default to the Preset Voice folders.  I know this to be true.  So what I am suggesting is that whatever Voice messages are in the styles... is different than the Voices in the packs you installed. 

I was trying to explain that the LSB of that pack used by the styles got changed in YEM.  So... what was the LSB number before you installed the second pack?  and what is the LSB number for that same pack now?  If the LSB wasn't changed by YEM, then the styles should play correctly.

Joe H
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 07:18:04 PM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline dv01

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 05:07:57 AM »
  Hi,
  The styles are in my USB drive since they sent me those separately besides the 2 cpf files.  I believe I need to do some homework before I can understand what you're saying there:).  I think they have 2 separate cpf files because there were a lot of samples on each one.  Thanks.

Online Joe H

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 07:18:37 AM »
If you can attach one of those style here, I could take a look at the MSB  LSB Bank Select messages and tell how to change the pack to match.  Or if you have used MixMaster, then you can look at a style file in List View to see what those numbers are  yourself.

You cannot have 2 packs with the same LSB number.  Each pack will have its own number.  So if the styles are using both Voice packs, then you need to ask the person who created those packs and styles what the correct LSB numbers should be for each pack.

Each User Pack has the following message:  MSB = 063  LSB =  000 - 127, followed by a Program Change number (PC) 000 - 127

An example would be:  063  002 040.  Drum and percussion kits use the MSB = 062 followed by LSB and PC

The above message is read as... MSB 63 (User Bank)  LSB Bank 2,  Voice # 40 (this will display on your keybaord as Voice 41)

Joe H
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 07:21:20 AM by Joe H »

Offline dv01

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 07:41:30 AM »
   Hi Joe,

I will give it a try on what you said there.  I strongly believe this is it.  Thanks again.

Offline dv01

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 10:34:11 AM »
     Joe, thanks for your help.  I was able to change to the correct LSB in YEM and the styles played exactly like they're supposed to.

Online Joe H

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 12:57:33 PM »
dv01,

Glad you got things working.  I have reported to Yamaha that YEM sometimes changes LSB number without telling us, and that creates problems like you just experienced.  I suggested to Yamaha that we should be able to "lock" LSB number so it does not change on us when we load more packs into YEM.

Regards,
Joe H

Offline dv01

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 10:18:28 AM »
  Good idea Joe.  Thanks for doing that for all of us.