Author Topic: Midiworks YA  (Read 336 times)

Offline topick

Midiworks YA
« on: August 16, 2017, 04:41:41 PM »
To folks with "Midiworks YA" experience,

How "Midiworks YA" compares to other midi-sequencer programs out there?
Wondering if "Midiworks YA" is more user friendly? Would it keep the correct voice once midi is converted to a STYLE?

I normally use "FL Studio" and it was a pain in the beginning. Went thru a long learning curve.
There were too many parameters in "FL" those needed it to be set before making it ready for thru midi recording, editing and exporting.

Thanks,
topick

Offline Joe H

Re: Midiworks YA
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 05:07:56 PM »
topick,

I use Midiworks once in awhile.  It is not a sequencer... meaning you cannot record MIDI to Midiworks from your keyboard.  Midiworks is a MIDI song file editor.  It supports ALL current and many older Yamaha arranger keyboards.  So... if you mix a song file in Midiworks using the correct Voice definition file (for your keyboard) then when you Import the MIDI into StyleMagic, the correct Voices and all mixing you did in Midiworks will be there in StyleMagic.

But you can Import MIDI right into StytleMagic also and mix your song file there before converting to a style. 

The one advantage Midiworks has over StyleMagic is support for all DSPs, meaning you can assign DSP Type effects in Midiworks. Also... the 4 Tyros song Markers are supported in Midiworks (not supported in PSRs).

Once Thomas added the Voice Editor and Drum Kit Editor to StyleMagic... there is not very much difference between the programs. The big advantage of StyleMagic is that you can insert a Style Section Marker to loop any number of bars (then an End Sec Marker) within the song file to see if it will work well as a style Section.  I haven't found a way to loop bars in Midiworks.

But if you are working in Midiworks, you can use the SP1 - SP4  Markers as temporary markers for where you may want to change them to Main Sections Markers A, B, C, and D later on in StyleMagic.

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline topick

Re: Midiworks YA
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 07:43:09 PM »
Well said.

Thanks,
topick