Author Topic: Play midi songs one after another automatically  (Read 483 times)

Offline MINKYCATS

Play midi songs one after another automatically
« on: August 12, 2017, 07:14:10 AM »
Can any of you guys or gals help me to find the answer to this question please.

Is it possible to make a Tyros 5 play several midi songs in a predetermined sequence for use as "interval music" while not playing live?

If so could you please tell me how to do it?

I'm sure the answer is lurking somewhere out there but I can't find it.

Thank you

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Tyros 5 - 61
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000 and others.

Offline MBedesem

Re: Play midi songs one after another automatically
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 07:34:25 AM »
Trevor:

FYI:

You can do this using MixMaster's Medley View. You can make a large midi with the standard breaks between songs, or eliminate then alltogether. But you are limited by the size of the instruments memory.

If you play them from a PC with the instrument attached, you can play any number of songs in order....

Regards,

Michael
Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

The following users thanked this post: MINKYCATS

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 07:45:06 AM »
Hi Trevor,

You can do this on your Tyros5 using the 'Repeat Mode' in the 'Song Setting' display.

This page is explained on page 55 of the 'Tyros5 Reference Manual' which can be downloaded from your local Yamaha Download web site.

Press FUNCTION > SONG SETTING.

Set the REPEAT MODE using the G button.  The settings available are...

OFF: Plays through the selected Song, then stops.

SINGLE: Plays through the selected Song repeatedly.

ALL: Continues playback through all the Songs in the specified folder repeatedly.

RANDOM: Continues playback at random through all the Songs in the specified folder repeatedly.

When you set ALL or RANDOM, the folder used is determined by the REPEAT FOLDER setting on button H

CURRENT: Sequentially plays all Songs in the directory containing the currently selected Song, starting with the currently selected Song.

ALL: Sequentially plays all Songs in all directories (memorized to the SONG I –IV buttons). Playback starts with the currently selected Song, then the remainder of the Songs in the current directory, followed by the Songs in the other directories.

To play songs in a predetermined sequence you would need to name them so that they are listed on the selection screen in the order that you want them to play.  Typically this is done by modifying the name of each song with an incremental number at the beginning of the name. It can be worth increasing the number by 10 rather than 1, since you can then insert songs within the sequence without having to change the name of every song that follows it!

Regards

Ian

The following users thanked this post: jm, MINKYCATS

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 09:50:11 AM »
Thanks Michael and Ian,

Michael I really didn't know about Mixmaster.

Ian, the information about achieving my objective on the Tyros 5 itself is going to be really useful.
I have the reference manual but was, obviously, not looking in the right place. Your explanation of the settings available is also going to be really useful.

So thank you both.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000 and others.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 11:15:02 AM »
There are so many things that can be done on your keyboard without the aid of extra programmes. It dose pay to find out what you can do and I am sure you will be surprised.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:35:08 PM by EileenL »

Offline jtrue

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 02:23:09 PM »
I generally use an external amp on the job so address this problem by using an mp3 player connected to the amp. The point is, I don't want the interval/intermission music to be better than my live playing and many MIDIs are far more advanced than I could accomplish on my own.

j.
It don't mean a thing...

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 02:36:49 PM »
I always use my own recordings for this so the standard stays the same.

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 01:47:23 AM »
Thank you for your input Eileen.

Your contributions are always so informative and helpful. Big thanks.

I tend to sit down and play my T5 and enjoy making the music but must admit that I realise that the keyboard is capable of far more than I ask of it or use it for.

My query is just one example of what you mean.

Kind regards

Trevor (MINKYCATS)