Author Topic: Power Adapter question  (Read 829 times)

Offline Vinadir

Power Adapter question
« on: August 07, 2017, 07:12:59 AM »
Hello Everyone,

My first post here for a technical question.  After acquiring my S970 two years ago, I plan to give away the older PSR-740 to my younger relative who is inclined in playing the keyboard.  Anyway, I noticed the power adapters are totally different in regards to size and weight.  The newer model is much smaller than than the 740's PA6 which is almost like a size of a brick and heavy too.
   Anyway, the keyboard will be going out to a different country which provides power of 220V@60hz.  Timing is probably not a problem but the voltage is, which the PA6 has an input voltage of 120V.   Is there a PA-6 with 220 volts available for purchase or probably a compatible power pack which hopefully will not overheat?  I was considering purchasing at least a minimum of 200-300W step-down transformer with built-in line conditioner if available.  I searched through this forum before I posted but could not find any subjects related to this topic.  I also googled and searched through the internet but could not find anything specific.
     Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance to the members who help.

Offline Dick Rector

Re: Power Adapter question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 12:38:47 PM »
On Ebay you will find perfect compatible power supplies and a lot cheaper than Yamaha.
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

The following users thanked this post: Vinadir

Offline Vinadir

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 03:37:40 PM »
Hello Dick Rector,

I'll check it out on ebay, and see if there any
power adapter there.  Thanks a lot.

Vincent

Offline Afton72

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 06:18:52 AM »
  By the way, Vincent, also watch out for size of small plug going in to K/B.
 I bought one adapter that looked right in adv. but plug was slightly too small.
                Alan
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 06:20:50 AM by Afton72 »

Offline John Plumridge

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 11:40:38 PM »
Hi Vincent,
                       I was a chemist not an electrician but for what it's worth I believe  you need to check six things for compatability.

Mains plug type, Input Voltage output voltage, current output, Connector size and polarity of signal ,    Some commercial power adaptors allow you to change polarity. Some come with several output plug variations.

John

Tyros 3 & Tyros 5
My musical performances are better than they sound !

Offline Vinadir

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 06:59:23 PM »
Thanks to all of you who gave your advice and suggestions.
I already purchased a step down transformer as I think is a
sure way that it will stabilize the voltage to 110v@60hz.
I do have other questions but will open on another thread
regarding the 740 OTS.  Again, thank you for all your help.
- Vincent

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 04:15:35 AM »
Vincent
I know all about this problem as I have homes in two different countries with different power supply. The step down transformer is really a very heavy handed and ugly way to solve the problem. If you buy it in your country it may not have the correct plug for the destination , and if you buy it in the destination country it may not have the right socket for the power adapter. Even if it does, its not a neat solution.   When you have a low voltage device like your keyboard eg. 6, 12 or 25 V  it is much neater and better ( not to mention probably cheaper) to buy the right power adapter in the destination country for your device. With the number of low voltage appliances like computers, printers,keyboards etc used nowadays there are tons of options out there and its easy to get one locally for around $20. Even now, I would forget the transformer and buy the right power supply in the country it is going to. Take the keyboard into a local musical instrument or electronic store and they will be able to supply an alternative.
By the way, and number of power adapters are dual input voltage ( 220 and 110) and only need a local plug adapter to work. This is quite common on laptops where they get carried from country to country. So check first if the power adapter really needs changed. You might just need to use a plug adapter. 
Mike

Offline Vinadir

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 09:24:26 AM »
Hello Mike,

Thanks for the insight.  I have already purchased the regulated step down transformer with a built-in line conditioner.
The reason I did this is because first, I don't want to take a chance of burning out the power supply inside the keyboard.
Second, since the keyboard is going to be used in the province where there are frequent brown-outs, there are sudden surge
and spikes which it can't be controlled especially when the users neglected to unplug the keyboard during a thunderstorm. 
Lightning prevails more often in the area.  When the keyboard arrives to it's final destination, I will not have anymore control
of it anymore I really want them, my relatives to use it for a long time.  The PSR-740 is still a good keyboard and in very good
condition, especially for them to learn about keyboard which I want them to do. 
Lastly, The 4,000-watt transformer is not only for the keyboard but will also be used for other units such as the mixer
and microphone amps which will be dedicated and it should be more than enough and safe to provide power as long as it
does not exceed the ratings.  This will also used in multiple events including church and schools.  With that said, I hope they
just take care of it well and I'm sure the keyboard will go a long way.
Thank you very much for all your advise and suggestions Mike.

Vincent