Author Topic: The Next New Yamaha Keyboard  (Read 581 times)

Offline Mike2

The Next New Yamaha Keyboard
« on: August 04, 2017, 03:45:07 PM »
With all the speculations about the next new Yamaha keyboard, does anyone have any idea to what type of speakers we can expect? Or will this be more of the same TRS-MS05 or the like?

Re: The Next New Yamaha Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 04:08:33 PM »
I suspect we'll see more of the same, with some minor improvements. If Yamaha maintains their current business model, they will charge extra for them. Meanwhile, there are dozens of far better speakers for less money :).

Current Gear: Tyros 5, Nord Electro 5D, SoundCraft mixer, two Bose L1 Compact speakers, 15 inch subwoofer designed and built by myself, Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, Cubase 8 Artist, Steinberg UR-44 sound interface.

Offline billtracy

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 06:51:17 AM »
I suspect we'll see more of the same, with some minor improvements. If Yamaha maintains their current business model, they will charge extra for them. Meanwhile, there are dozens of far better speakers for less money :).

Lee,

What speakers would you recommend for strictly home use?

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 08:12:36 AM »
Hi Bill,

I use Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, but they are pricey for ordinary enjoyment. If you are playing the T5 where it doesn't matter that you aren't filling the whole living room, any studio monitor will likely do. There are some relatively inexpensive models out there that would do. Behinger makes some nice stuff. I would try to buy speakers with at least a 10 inch bass driver, unless you can budget for a sub. A while ago, I tried out some Logitech computer speakers. They were remarkably loud and good quality! Hope that helps...

- Lee
Current Gear: Tyros 5, Nord Electro 5D, SoundCraft mixer, two Bose L1 Compact speakers, 15 inch subwoofer designed and built by myself, Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, Cubase 8 Artist, Steinberg UR-44 sound interface.

The following users thanked this post: billtracy

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 08:15:15 AM »
I've owned something similar to these. They sounded great!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/B2031A

It would be nice if you could find a music store that will let you audition several makes and models. In Canada, we have a large music store chain called Long and McQuades. You can go into their bigger stores and find about a dozen difference sizes and makes. They're always glad to let you sit for hours and try out products. You must have similar stores in the U.S.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 08:17:51 AM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline billtracy

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 10:39:27 AM »
Thanks for the reply Lee. I'm using KRK Rokit 5s right now. They sound good, but at some point I might take your suggestion and move up to an 8 or 10 inch speaker.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 10:41:17 AM by billtracy »

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 11:05:26 AM »
Glad to help, Bill.

At one point, you had to invest in 12 or 15 inch bass drivers to get any decent bass. Today, it's amazing what you can get from an 8 or 10 inch bass driver :).

Offline Mike2

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 11:28:24 AM »
This may be a crazy question...does having a pair of Yamaha hs8  give more bass than the TRS-MS05. My room is 12 x 14.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 11:50:49 AM »
I've never heard the TRS speakers, so I don't really know. Most studio monitors are classified as "near field," which means they basically replace headphones. They are not really designed for projection. A 12 by 14 room may tax them to the limit, although they are of tremendous quality. You can also get the matching sub, but then you're into serious money.

Trouble is with super quality monitors, you soon find out how crappy the T5 pianos are :(.