Author Topic: Removing a USB key  (Read 770 times)

Offline torben

Removing a USB key
« on: August 04, 2017, 04:54:50 AM »
Hi
I wonder if some of you have a good suggestion for removing a USB key (with styles, regs etc) from the Tyros?
The problem is, that you probably not should leave the USB in the Tyros when shutting down. If - at that specific time - there would be any communication going on between the instrument and the USB you could end up in trouble. You would risk getting a message like "Improper shutdown. Data has been lost. No backup" etc. ...
On the other hand: As far as I know there is no way to safely unplug the usb as you have in a PC, where there is a safe removal procedure of removing hardware etc.  when the PC is still running.
????
Kind regards
Torben
Tyros 5 is my choice - until Tyros 6 arrives ...

Offline Bachus

Re: Removing a USB key
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 06:52:07 AM »
In general removing a USB stick from a running instrument also seems a bad idea, for the same reason.

shutting down with the USB stick in place is a controlled action and yamaha should have safefalls in place, however, never shut down a keyboard during writing actions...
Life is like a box of chocolats, you never know what you are gonna get, so enjoy them all.  I am wayting for the next box of chocolate the Yamaha Genos.

Admin of : www.keyszone.boards.net

Offline Bachus

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 06:53:00 AM »
In general removing a USB stick from a running instrument also seems a bad idea, for the same reason.

shutting down with the USB stick in place is a controlled action and yamaha should have safefalls in place, however, never shut down a keyboard during writing actions...

Only remove a USB stick when the hardware is turned off if there is no safely remove option in the menu's.
Life is like a box of chocolats, you never know what you are gonna get, so enjoy them all.  I am wayting for the next box of chocolate the Yamaha Genos.

Admin of : www.keyszone.boards.net

Online Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 07:28:22 AM »
The only time you need be concerned is when you're writing to the USB. Otherwise, remove it whenever you want.

Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Tyros 4, Bose L1, Finale 2011
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 07:56:18 AM »
I must have had hundreds of USB sticks in and out of my keyboards and never ever have I had a problem.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 08:03:58 AM »
Torben,

Feel free to connect or remove the USB drive whenever you want.  I leave mine plugged in all the time when I turn off my S970.  When you plug in or unplug a USB drive the keyboard will display a message noting drive is connected or drive is disconnected.  Our keyboards support the USB hot swap protocol, so there is no issue regarding leaving the drive connected or removing it at any time.

But as noted above... the only time you should NOT remove the drive is when it is being written to... or the keyboard is reading data from it.

Regards,
Joe H
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 08:05:04 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline torben

Re: Removing a USB ke
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »
Dear friends

Well, the problem is, that one day I shut down my keyboard, leving a USB stick in the front slot. Next day - when I started the keyboard - I got the dreaded message mentioned above. Which surely comes as a result from an active, unseen communication between the keyboard and the USB stick ...

And, of course - as said above - the time you should NOT remove the drive is when it is being written to, or the keyboard is reading data from it. The problem with a usb stick is however that you have absolutely no idea, when the communication is going on.

And just to be clear: I had NO connection to a PC at the time of shutdown.

So there's the catch/problem ...

Regards

Torben
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:24:37 AM by torben »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 11:36:36 AM »
Torben,

For the USB drive to be "active" we have to initiate copying something to it or accessing a file from it.  There is normally NO read/write activity to or from the USB drive unless we initiate it.   I don't own a Tyros, but I have not read any posts as of yet with a similar issue. 

Maybe a system reset will fix the problem.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 11:55:54 AM »
Like Eileen, I've had a lot of different flash drives in and out of my Tyros 4 and have never had a problem.  I just make sure that nothing is being copied from or written to the flash drive when I remove it.

It just might be that your flash drive is corrupted, Torben.  You may want to try another flash drive and see if the results are the same.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline torben

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 12:06:21 PM »
Dear Roger

You may be right. I have removed a usb key from the kb a 1000 times without any problem. But for once this happened...

I wonder though: how do you make sure that nothing is being copied from/written to the usb? I have no idea whatsoever ...

Regards

Torben 

Offline bellowsboy

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 12:08:40 PM »
I always come back to the home page before removing.    Dave

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 12:09:16 PM »
On all of my USB drives there is a light flashing on the drive itself, while either of those operations (read write) are taking place.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline torben

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2017, 12:19:19 PM »
Well Roger - not on mine ... ☹️

Offline EileenL

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 01:08:31 PM »
The USB will only be active if you have asked it to save or load something. The keyboard then tells you it is completed at the end of it.

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 01:12:04 PM »
I do have a few sticks with NO light flashing as well. However I never had the problem mentioned by Torben but always do the procedure of removing the drives the safe way.

Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline torben

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 01:41:17 PM »
I am puzzled:

What is the procedure of removing the drives the "safe way" ????

The keyboard tells you "it is completed"? My keyboard never tells me anything of that sort! In fact it never speaks to me at all ... 😳😊

Maybe - however - someone could tell me how to do an improper shutdown ...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 02:00:47 PM by torben »

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 01:56:33 PM »

Strange ... Never heard before.
It looks like there is a problem with your USB stick, T.😎
Does it work well in your pc ?

Jeff
XGW - SONAR PLATINUM - CUBASE 8 WIN - MIXCRAFT8

Offline torben

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2017, 02:00:02 PM »
Yes Jeff - perfectly ... :'(

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2017, 02:09:44 PM »
Sorry  ... I don't know the answer.😥
Wished I could help you out ...

Good luck, Jeff
XGW - SONAR PLATINUM - CUBASE 8 WIN - MIXCRAFT8

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 02:21:14 PM »
Try copying all of your files and folders on your USB drive to your computer hard drive (back everything up), Torben.  Then delete all files and folders from the offending USB drive.

Now, copy just one file back to your USB drive and see if your Tyros 5 will recognize the USB drive. :)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 04:34:35 PM by Roger Brenizer »
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2017, 04:28:01 PM »
Up to the Tyros4, there was a LED on the panel marked 'READ/WRITE'.   This lit (usually briefly) when there was any activity on the internal USB bus (ie. if the internal hard disk or external USB devices were being accessed).

On the Tyros5 this LED has been replaced by an on-screen indicator at the top right corner of the 'MAIN' display (next to the clock).
This acts in the same way as the LED on earlier Tyros models and flashes when there is any USB or HDD access.  It is shown as object #16 in the MAIN Display Configuration diagram on page 24 of the T5 Owner's Manual.

Regarding the problem with your USB stick, you said that you got an error message when you switched your T5 on. Is this the "Improper shutdown. Data has been lost. No backup" that you referred to in your original post?

I can't see anywhere that you have actually said that the USB device is no longer working in the T5.  Can you please confirm that it isn't.  If not, have you tried it in your T5's rear USB to Device socket?

If it is working on your computer, then I assume that by now you have copied everything on the device as a secure backup.

Is it possible that the error message was not actually referring to the USB?

I don't have a T5 Service manual, but a similar message described in the T4 Service Manual does not refer to the USB memory device!  Perhaps someone with a T5 SM might look to see if that message is described in it.    This is what the T4 SM says about it...

Displayed Message: Improper power shut down! Backup data and/or User files have been lost.

Meaning:   Power has not been turned off normally. Backup data and user file have been lost.

Progress/Status:   Data is being restored as defect has been detected in the data backed up in the data flash ROM.

You may want to make a backup of the system files and USER drive as a precaution, and possibly ask your local Yamaha Technical Support about the significance of the message!

Regards

Ian

The following users thanked this post: torben

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2017, 06:42:59 PM »
to be on the safe side, maybe you just want to replace your usb drive by another brand/model. 

thanks
AL
San Diego/Tijuana

Offline Afton72

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2017, 07:49:03 PM »
 Hi Folks,
                Usualy I try to remember to shift the TAB to a different position like USER or another USB before removing a stick.   Think I damaged a USB on a PC once, a fair while ago, but not the keyboard. ;D
         Alan
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:08:12 PM by Afton72 »

Offline torben

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2017, 12:07:00 AM »
Hi friends

Thanks for your advice and comments.

Ian - you are spot on. I will be looking for the light not blinking. And yes, I have made a copy of my hd! Probably just was unlucky to shut down while the light was on ...

No problems afterwards.

Best regards

Torben

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2017, 10:03:36 AM »
I always come back to the home page before removing.    Dave

This is probably a good idea. I don't know if the Tyros is actively reading from the USB drive if you've navigated to a screen that's displaying the song files, or style files, or voice files, etc., that are stored on it; but if you go back to the home page then you shouldn't have to worry about that. It might not be necessary, but it seems like good practice.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443