Author Topic: MP3 Playback  (Read 616 times)

Offline SandeepSaxena

MP3 Playback
« on: August 02, 2017, 04:31:54 AM »
Hello folks,

Using PSR 970's on board USB Audio player is there something one needs to know about the mp3 format ? I'm not able to playback an mp3 that was a result of a online conversion of a youtube video. There are these sites that will convert a youtube video to a mp3 audio. I used one those and I'm not able to playback this file.

Thanks
Sandeep

Offline tyrosaurus

Re: MP3 Playback
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 05:09:40 AM »
Hi Sandeep,

The Yamaha USB Audio function is fairly flexible for MP3 files (44.1/48.0 kHz sample rate, 64 320 kbps with variable bit rate, mono/stereo), but if the file is listed for selection by the keyboard, but generates an error message if you select it, then it could be that the sample rate of your file is not correct.  You should be able to check this and convert it using any number of Audio Conversion programs that you can find online.

However, if the problem is that the keyboard is not even listing the file in the folder on your USB drive that you know it is in, it could be that the filename is too long.   This needs to be no more than 50 characters including the final 4 character '.mp3' extension, so check the file on a computer and shorten the name if necessary.

Regards

Ian

Offline SandeepSaxena

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 05:17:00 AM »
Thanks Ian.
The keyboard does recognize the file in the USB. Just wouldn't play. Gives me prompt about not supporting the file.
I will  shorten the file name. It is a long name with some spaces I think. I'll retest...

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 05:29:53 AM »
Hi Sandeep,

If the keyboard is listing the file, then the problem is not the length of it's name, but it is probably worth shortening it anyway!

You need to check the file format, especially the sample rate.  It must be either 44100 Hz or 48000 Hz.

The other possibility is that it is 'Joint' or 'Joint Stereo' rather than 'Stereo' or 'Mono'.

Regards

Ian

Offline SandeepSaxena

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 08:16:55 AM »
Ian,

Thanks. It indeed was the long file name. Shortened it and the file playbacks fine..

:D

Online voodoo

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 12:01:52 AM »
There is another issue with mp3 playback.

When the mp3 has variable bitrate, no navigation in the file is possible. i had to redo some mp3s to be able to jump back and forth in songs.
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D

Offline vuman

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 12:46:40 PM »
use a software call ClipGrab (search goo.) you can directly mp3 from Youtube without any conversion.  And it will play fine on S970

My 2 cents