Author Topic: CVP features in the new Yamahas CSP:s  (Read 1111 times)

Offline tangothomas

CVP features in the new Yamahas CSP:s
« on: August 02, 2017, 01:43:15 AM »
Seems like the features of the CVP line is showing up in the new Clavinova CSP 150 and CSP 170.

You need an iPad to navigate the pianos. Any thoughts?

Offline pjd

Re: CVP features in the new Yamahas CSP:s
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 06:27:23 AM »
I totally agree with Bachus.

The Smart Pianist app and its integration shows where Yamaha is going with all of its research on music analysis. Yamaha have filed quite a few patents in this area. They see a way to enhance the ecosystem for their products through these kinds of apps and features.

We should expect more of this with GENOS (or whatever it will be called).

All the best -- pj

P.S. Two other fun Yamaha apps are Kittar and Chord Tracker. Smart Pianist takes Chord Tracker to a much higher level.

Offline tangothomas

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 07:01:43 AM »
Yes, an app that would work with all Yamaha DPs & KBs that would be great!

Bu what about the future for CVPs then?

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 07:14:34 AM »
Hi --

Thanks very much for posting about the CSP series!

I'm going to send links, etc. to our music director. (I play keys with the music ministry.) We've been looking for something like the CSP series (excellent piano with additional voices) without the high expense of the CVP line. We don't need "arranger features" for what we do.

Future of CVP? Wow. The top of the line CVP usually incorporates Tyros technology and with GENOS (or whatever it will be called) on the way, the CVP line will remain interesting, to say the least.  :)

Yamaha are masters at product feature grading for specific price points. I haven't had a chance to dig through the CSP documentation (yet).

Oh, well, off to the gym -- pj

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 04:28:57 AM »
At first I was not really interested when I saw the introduction video's of the CSP-series popping up in my subscription area on YouTube, but after a quick glance I became interested.

The interface on the iPad is similar to the high-end CVP-series and I saw many sounds and styles (so full arranger capabilities), in the few seconds that showed the interface, that usually just belong to the two most expensive Clavinova's. So if I'm right it looks like a high-end Clavinova without the actual screen and buttons (which you have to provide by connecting an iPad) or fancy cabinet.

I can see them doing something similar on future arrangers as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOb_L7iog8k

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 06:54:52 AM »
Hi --

Looks like we have two threads running...

I installed the Smart Pianist app and posted some comments in the Tyros 5 area:

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,39129.0.html

All the best -- pj

Offline danielrg

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 10:16:40 PM »
Should I post in the other thread?

I just bought one of these pianos - the CSP-170.  I like it.  But I have no idea what its ultimate capabilities are.

I was trying to see if it would work with PianoSoft Solo or PianoSoft Audio... I don't think so though.

I'm a novice piano player - not an arranger or anything, though I could certainly see myself getting into it for some fun.

The piano sounds great, and the app is nice.  Weird being tethered to an Ipad.  I know I'm taking a little bit of a chance being an initial adopter.  I'm hoping that there will be feature and firmware upgrades that will keep this first generation of the CSP relevant for a while to come...

Offline danielrg

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 10:22:42 PM »
One more concern - Yamaha doesn't seem to have a very good channel for "oh, we just added this or that feature to your piano/keyboard model".

Anyone know how to get knowledge of changes, upgrades, improvements, new support, etc. for a given Yamaha instrument?

I can use the app to see if there's new firmware, but I don't know if I'll be notified if they add additional application support - add stream lights for example to "Playground Sessions", or direct integration, etc. 

Right now the Smart Pianist app is cool, and plenty to do and see for a while, but a little rough around the edges.  For example with all the songs you can play along with, they just "start".  No synchro start.  So if the first measure has notes, you better click play on the app and get your hands on the keyboard really fast...

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 11:01:28 AM »
I installed Smart Pianist to my IPad, hoping it would connect to my CVP605, but no such luck, unless i'm doing something wrong.
Can someone give a difinitive answer?

Offline danielrg

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 07:16:47 PM »
The people at the piano store said the "Smart Pianist" app is for the CSP series only at this point.

Another update on my experience with the CSP.  Any MIDI file can be loaded and use the "follow lights" feature.  The catch is that all of the left hand has to be on one channel (preferably 2nd of 16 channels), all of the right on another channel (preferably 1st of 16).  All the other channels are considered "backing".  It is possible to select which channel is right and left.  But default is 1-> Right, 2-> Left.

I have already put a few of my own MIDI files on and had it show a score that was accurate and then show me where to play with the lights.  It's pretty neat.  I could already see a lot of nice features that can be added to the app, like assigning multiple channels to a hand, for example, being able to select which stream lights show up (left hand, right, or both), etc.

I've also seen some bugs already too.  On one file, right hand is in channel 1, left is in channel 2.  On "auto" it selects these channels, but the left hand doesn't have any lights show up, UNLESS (and this is weird) I turn off the left hand from being played out loud.  Then the lights show up.  If I manually select the right and left hands as channel 1 and 2, the lights show up properly.

I'm assuming these glitches will be worked out, and additional features will be added - it would be nice if they add other models to this - but beware - some say that if they start using this with the CVP line they may start getting stingy with the manual controls and embedded screen and make it less of a "standalone" unit.

One thing not supported on this piano (yet) is PianoSoft Audio, where you can have a waveform track sync'd with the midi file.  That would be really neat - I'd love to see them including sung lyrics as an optional track with some of their "follow the lights" songs in the library.  I think that would catch on really fast.  I'm hoping they had lots of cool plans like that but just implemented a certain feature set to get the piano on the market and see if it succeeded.

Offline Kenneve

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 02:52:48 AM »
Hi Danielrg, thanks for the update. It looks like the CSP is basically a CVP without the display, perhaps in order to keep costs down and using an Ipad to fill the gap.
I think your right when you say the CVP needs to continue be a stand alone instrument. In many peoples homes the CVP is not just a musical instrument, but also a piece of furniture to be visually admired.
Perhaps future CVP models might incorporate the Smart Pianist app in their on-board software, which would bring a number of additional functions to the party!