Author Topic: Starting (and ending) with Outro I only?  (Read 578 times)

Offline maartenb

Starting (and ending) with Outro I only?
« on: August 01, 2017, 08:12:28 AM »
Dear all,

I am practicing a song that ends with a pauze (style engine stopped) and then Outro I (style engine running).

However, after Outro I ends the style engine continues with the Variation I set previously (A, B, C or D).

How can I start a style with Outro I so that it ends with Outro I?

Thanks in advance,

Maarten

Offline voodoo

Re: Starting (and ending) with Outro I only?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 08:35:41 AM »
This is surprising. I will try this later.
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Marcus

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 09:57:24 AM »
Dear all,

I am practicing a song that ends with a pauze (style engine stopped) and then Outro I (style engine running).

However, after Outro I ends the style engine continues with the Variation I set previously (A, B, C or D).

Thanks in advance,

Maarten

During the pause, press the style Sync/Start button and press the Outro I button. A style Main variation will be active (orange) , but by pressing the Outro I button, it will play first. Once your style ends with the Outro I, press the Style Start/Stop button before the active Main variation kicks in, which ends your song with Outro I. 

Any style can start with an Outro (Ending) button. Press the Style Sync/Start button, then chosen Ending button. If you want another Main variation to play after the chosen Outro, press the other Main Variation button and repress the original Outro you want. Any chord will sync start the chosen style Outro and then the active main variation will follow. Hope this helps.

Marcus

Gear: Triangle

The following users thanked this post: maartenb

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 10:17:00 AM »
Hi Maarten,

As far as I know, if you select any style Ending when the style is not running, then after playing the ending it will always continue with the selected Main Variation.  You will notice that when the style is not running you can't even select an ending without a Main variation flashing too, and that is what will play after the ending!

I don't think that you can change this, but as an alternative you could modify the style Ending to include the pause.

I tried this with a T4 preset style (attached), and modified Ending 2 to include a 1 measure pause at the beginning.  Using Ending 2 or 3 avoids the 'Fill' that will always play when Ending 1 is selected, but this may not be a problem for you.

I used MixMaster to do this, but I first changed the length of the relevant Ending by adding 1 measure to it using the T4 Style creator.  I suspect that I could have simply changed the relevant Markers in MixMaster but I did it on the keyboard.

Then in MixMaster I selected and deleted the notes that Style Creator had added in the new, extra measure of the ending, and finally  selected all events from after the Ending 2 Marker, up to the next Marker (Ending 3 in this case), and moved them all to 1 measure later.

There is a 'Insert Empty Measures' function in MixMaster which I thought would do the same thing, but it didn't work as I expected so I selected the events and used the function 'Move MBT of Selected Events by a Delta Time' in the 'Process Events' menu.

No doubt you could use a DAW to make the change but these will typically strip out the CASM from the style, which MixMaster doesn't do!

It is much easier to do that it sounds, and avoids having to stop the style to create the pause, then select the ending and restart the style, and finally remember to stop the style after the ending before it switches to the Main Variation!  The simple example attached literally only took a few minutes to do.

However perhaps someone else knows an easier way of achieving what you want, but AFAIK any method that stops the style to create the pause, will require you to manually stop the Ending before it moves onto the Main Variation.

Regards

Ian

Offline voodoo

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 11:46:28 PM »

I have tried to, and I found no way to do so. So the only way is to press "stop" when the outro is finished.

Uli
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 12:05:58 AM »
Using a DAW might be the only solution ( for now ) but unfortunately not usable for " live " playing. So sorry ...  :'(

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline maartenb

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 12:25:36 AM »
Marcus and Uli,
Thank you for trying it out! You two are confirming that it is not me, but a (weird IMHO) design decision by Yamaha.

Ian,
Thank you for proposing a workaround!

What a great forum this is,

Maarten