Author Topic: My piano sounds on the Tyros 5 sound rather dull?  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Georgejohn

My piano sounds on the Tyros 5 sound rather dull?
« on: July 31, 2017, 04:53:44 PM »
I.m new to this forum and just trying to get my piano sound...sound more like the samples.
Any help would be appreciated.

Georgejohn

Offline EileenL

Re: My piano sounds on the Tyros 5 sound rather dull?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 06:00:39 AM »
Try these,
   They Are on board piano's I have tweaked up.

The following users thanked this post: J.Storms, Del B

Offline Bob88

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 06:57:30 AM »
Thank you Eileen.  I hope the new flagship  brings more realistic sounding piano voices.  Bob

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 01:08:59 PM »
Hi Bob,
  I think we all have different idea's of what we want our piano to sound like. With a little addition to reverb and DSP you can make the piano to your own liking.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 01:26:58 PM »
I beg to differ, Eileen. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. There are extreme limits to what you can do with the T5 piano voices and I'm sure you've done your usual spectacular job :). For a lot of us who gig with the T5, the pianos are the weakest point and yet the most important voice when not using some of the great samples from the guitars, strings, brass, and etc...libraries.

Yamaha really needs to stop putting dime store pianos on their $6,000 arrangers. The T5 pianos are much better then the T4 and earlier, but are still garbage compared to the samples used on other expensive keyboards. Memory limitations are no excuse either because memory is relatively cheap. Asking for decent pianos is just like what I used to tell my kids..."Just do it, darn it!!"

On another note, thanks for the samples, Eileen. I'll give them a try :).
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:28:24 PM by Lee Batchelor »
Current Gear: Tyros 5, Nord Electro 5D, SoundCraft mixer, two Bose L1 Compact speakers, 15 inch subwoofer designed and built by myself, Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, Cubase 8 Artist, Steinberg UR-44 sound interface.

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 02:25:11 PM »
I am mainly a piano player and have tried many tweaked piano samples that people have posted, and I think they are mainly tweaked to give increased presence to single note melody line playing, which is how many arranger users use the piano voice. Many of them are quite successful in that regard, maybe not an especially accurate piano voice, but quite usable in that context. But when they are used across the whole keyboard as a piano, they have never been as good as the original grand piano voice in my opinion. I am not surprised by that because the professionals at Yamaha know about pianos. And when you start trying to fatten the voice by adding effects single notes or small RH chords can sound OK, but you can get some poor results and clashes when big chords and bass notes are played. Its not that the original piano voice is great, just that it is already optimized for full piano use, given the limitations of the samples. Of course at the end of the day what we hear is a bit subjective, so this is just my view.
Mike

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 04:51:00 PM »
...given the limitations of the samples...Mike

Mike, I think it's the "limitations of the Yamaha marketing guys" that is the real problem. If Yamaha gives us superior samples in the first place, they set the bar very high. Every successive model would need to be even better - not an easy task for the engineering guys.

Your comments are very good. I never thought of the piano samples in those terms. No matter which way we try to slice the pie on the T5, the pianos are not even close to the standards represented by the rest of the board's sound capabilities. If the new Genos does not contain far superior piano samples, like my Nord Electro 5, I'll stick with my T5. I refuse to spend thousands of dollars for crappy pianos.
Current Gear: Tyros 5, Nord Electro 5D, SoundCraft mixer, two Bose L1 Compact speakers, 15 inch subwoofer designed and built by myself, Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, Cubase 8 Artist, Steinberg UR-44 sound interface.

Offline Georgejohn

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 04:52:16 PM »
First let me thank all of you for your input it is much appreciated.
I  will try Eileen's samples

Thanks

George :)

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 11:11:20 PM »
Lee - I first bought a Yamaha stage piano and used it as a controller and for piano sound. Then some years later I moved up to the CVP. Then another CVP just months ago. Each step brought improvement in piano sound although I think superior feel, and 88 full size keys also helped to
Improve the overall experience.
I have to say though that even my newest CVP is stil a long way short of a good real piano. It's mainly the sustain that dies away too fast. I came to the conclusion that sustain may be most difficult feature to reproduce because it probably needs a huge sample size to capture all the nuances of a long full sustain.
Mike

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 04:38:09 AM »
Excellent info, Mike. Thanks.

A lot depends on the sound system too. I play my Nord Electro 5D and T5 through a pair of Bose L1 Compacts. The 5D outclasses the T5 by a long shot; although I also know the 5D is four years newer with a far larger memory core for pianos = 1 GB.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »
The Concert Grand may be a good piano voice for putting in a mix but I have always found the non SA Live Grand to give a better full keyboard piano playing experience. It has a more mature sound (full bodied!) than the CG and when sustain is used you can actually hear some rise and fall of the string resonance, almost absent IMO with the CG. I have to agree with Mike that the sustain dies away too quickly on it for maximum effect on slower pieces.
As usual the default presence leaves a lot to be desired and to use it as a full keyboard piano requires some simple edits, mainly to boost the volume. Set the reverb to 30 to 40 with a Real reverb Type of Med. Hall or Piano Hall if preferred. Get the volume by going to Voice Set Common tab and put the volume at far left to 127. (You can save as a user voice.) I find with these settings a balance of 127 is also required.
If you want a less strident tone push the mod wheel forward for a mellower tone.
Try it out and experiment by playing chords and arpeggios across the keyboard while using the sustain pedal and see what you think. Not perfect but more satisfying as a pianists piano than that Concert Grand I believe.
John
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 03:02:15 PM by jwyvern »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2017, 03:39:56 PM »
Hi
I agree the pianos are light weight .
As I have said before the Ochestra's are thin at the middle to top end and the saxes are ok at the bottom end but squeal at the top end in an unrealistic fashion.
The guitars need upgrading.
The brass is ok but that could do with an uplift but not too bad.
You cannot complain about the Tyros as It Is a fantastic keyboard worktation compared with a Bontempi!!! :-*.

September is getting closer!!! :o
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 03:41:08 PM by ugawoga »

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 05:07:01 PM »
I.m new to this forum and just trying to get my piano sound...sound more like the samples.
Any help would be appreciated.
Georgejohn

Hi Georgejohn.
Along with your thoughts, the Piano stock on the Tyros 5 is bad, it's not worth a penny over $ 5000.
It took me a lot of time and money to make a good Piano sound for Tyros 5. The sounds I got from the Synthogy Ivory American D Concert.
I let my computer work for 48 hours continuously to take samples in real time. There are seven sound classes, each consisting of 76 notes per keyboard. (I think 76 notes are enough for normal use and to save on memory.) Each note will have a real time of 15 seconds when you hold down the key or press the sustan pedal.

The total data I have to process in order to make a ppf file is 532 audio files in standard 44.1 audio wave completely uncompressed. Upon completion I have a Piano sound with an installed capacity of 650Mb.
I installed it on the Tyros 5 with MUTEC's 2Gb RAM (FMC-07) and brought it to my concert, so amazing it sounded like high notes like the C5 or C6 are very powerful and solid.

I regret that I can not share free to this forum because it is a product that has taken a lot of my time, effort and money.
Please send me the Info.n27 file in your Tyros5. I will send you a demo to experience.
My email: thangstudio@gmail.com

Tyros 5 with MUTEC 2Gb + Roland RD-300NX

The following users thanked this post: Georgejohn

Offline Georgejohn

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 01:18:03 PM »
Greetings

Snicker 740

I sent you an E mail in regards to Tyros 5 piano sounds.......hope it is the information you need.

Georgejohn

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2017, 05:24:40 PM »
You do not seem to understand me. What I need is the info file instrument.n27 taken from the tyros 5.
You follow the steps as follows:
- Plug a USB memory into the T5 front
- Press FUNCTION, then press H (ULTILITY)
- Press TAB key right, go to OWNER
- Press E (EXPORT INSTRUMENT INFO). A message will appear, click OK
- Continue with the completed message, click OK again.
Then pull the USB from the T5 plugged into the computer. Open it and you will see a file named "TYROS5_InstrumentInfo.n27".
Please send that file to me.

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 04:28:49 PM »
Greetings

Snicker 740

I sent you an E mail in regards to Tyros 5 piano sounds.......hope it is the information you need.

Georgejohn

Your piano here. Download it, put it in YEM and make an install and enjoy it.
Do not forget to leave the feeling about it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwhtL8aF_cxGQnpia1YwMkhSMVk

The following users thanked this post: loendersloot

Offline tyrosrick

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2017, 02:52:05 AM »
Snicker: I downloaded it, but it says in the YEM that "my instrument is not capable of using it". I have a T5 and have downloaded other packs with no problem. Also, when I right-click the Ivory Piano.cpf file in my download folder on my PC it says 20.1 GB, yet when hovering over it with my mouse it says 624MB.
Current Gear: Tyros 5 76 key, and a whole lot of ambition.
Past Gear: Motif XF6, and a whole lot of frustration.

Offline pethep

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2017, 05:08:23 AM »
Thanks Eileen
Greetings
Peter

Beginner, earlier PSR-S900 now Tyros 5

Offline jm

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 05:20:25 AM »
Many Thanks Eileen for the Piano Reg! I have tweaked mine? But since I really
Don't know what I'm doing :o I know I am going to be thrilled (as always) with yours ;)
Kind regards
jm
Late Learner! Not blessed with any musical ability!☹️ But love music!  I use headphones so as not offend my husband or anyone else 😂Tyros 3 now Tyros 5.

Offline Georgejohn

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 01:51:43 PM »
Snicker 740

Thank you for the piano ppt file :)

Georgejohn

Offline voodoo

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 11:52:54 PM »
I regret that I can not share free to this forum because it is a product that has taken a lot of my time, effort and money.
Please send me the Info.n27 file in your Tyros5. I will send you a demo to experience.

Hi Snicker,

can you prepare a smaller demo file for my S970? It has only 500 MB so the 650 MB file will not fit.

Uli
Yamaha PSR-S970
Nord Electro 5D

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2017, 03:52:23 PM »
Hi Snicker,

can you prepare a smaller demo file for my S970? It has only 500 MB so the 650 MB file will not fit.

Uli

Yes I can. But unfortunately I can not do this for free.
Are you willing to pay a little for that? About 50 $?  ;)

Offline mikf

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 04:18:33 AM »
I really think that you need to move this negotiation of price to personal e mails rather than a post on the forum.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Snicker740