Author Topic: Another Newbie  (Read 10603 times)

SteveJ

Another Newbie
« on: July 29, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »
Hi all, new to the forum, and indeed new to the keyboard. Decided now I've retired to do something I've always wanted to do, to learn to play keyboard.
I've played guitar for a few years, but always loved the keyboard and I'm now thinking of my first one, namely a PSR-E453. Hope I've made the right choice.  :)

Steve

Offline billtracy

Re: Another Newbie
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 02:43:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I believe the PSR-E453 would indeed be a good choice as a learning keyboard. Good luck and I think you will find this forum very useful.
Current: Korg PA900/JBL 308P/Focusrite Clarett 2Pre/Band in a Box/Reaper/EZdrummer 3. Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740/Yamaha PSR-1100/Yamaha PSR-S750.

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 03:01:54 PM »
Welcome, Steve! Most of the members here have PSR-S or Tyros models, but some of us have PSR-E and related models-- YPT, DGX, and YPG. If you have any questions or problems with the PSR-E453, just post them in the PSR-E subforum. :) There are also subforums for topics like styles, registrations, MIDI song files, etc.

SteveJ

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 03:57:35 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys, and I'll be sure to keep my eye on the PSR-E threads in future.

Steve

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 07:02:54 PM »
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member.  I'm sure you're going to enjoy your PSR-E453 keyboard, when you receive it, and I'm also certain you'll learn a great deal about your keyboard here on the forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing it.

You'll find that Michael Rideout (SeaGtGruff) will be a great source and wealth of knowledge, with regard to this keyboard series.

You'll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.  This link will take you to the Home page of the website: http://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.  You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the websites resources, which can be found at the following link:

http://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

We're so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  There are many members here who are always willing and eager to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

SteveJ

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 04:57:52 PM »
Thanks for the welcome Roger, sorry I've not been back recently. I've been having a rethink about the E453, and I'm sorely tempted to go that bit extra and go for an S770. I'm fairly technically minded, so it shouldn't be too daunting.
I know I'm a beginner, but I'm sure in the long run I'll probably find learning on this machine more satisfying, and the extra expense is not a real problem.
I'd be grateful for views on whether I'm trying to run before I can walk, or if I'll regret not going for the S770 if I do go for the E453?

Steve

SeaGtGruff

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 06:33:06 PM »
I have a PSR-E443 myself, and often wish I'd been able to afford one of the PSR-S models. Back when I was initially shopping around and ended up choosing a PSR-E433, none of the PSR-S models had any assignable Live Control knobs for adjusting the sounds while playing like on a synthesizer, but the PSR-S models have that now. Also, the PSR-S models have higher polyphony and the ability to load new voices and other types of files that the PSR-E453 can't (e.g., Music Finder database files). Don't get me wrong, I loved my PSR-E433 so much that I bought a PSR-E443 when it came out. But the PSR-S770 is going to be so much more capable than the PSR-E453 that you won't be sorry for setting your sights higher. :)

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 06:36:32 PM »
I had an E443, which I enjoyed so much I traded it in for an S770.

If you can afford it, are technically minded, and plan to get a lot of use out of it then go for the S770 from the start. It offers a lot more options than the E453. If you go E435 first, then change your mind, you'll either have to write off the cost of the E453, go through the trouble of a private sale, or lose out quite a lot of the value on a trade in.

You don't have to dive into the deeper functions of the S770 right away; you can pretty much play it out of the box with a few button presses.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 06:45:57 PM by DerekA »
Genos

SteveJ

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 07:21:52 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys, I will now shop around the dealers here in the UK for the best deal  :)

Steve

Offline DerekA

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 09:16:05 PM »
Seems to be quite a spread of prices ... from under £800 to over £1000. Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:20:56 PM by DerekA »
Genos

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 09:44:19 PM »
Hi Steve! Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the purchace of a keyboard!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 05:09:50 AM by Toril S »
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

SteveJ

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 01:47:18 AM »
Hi guys, I know this is an old thread, but I thought I’d update everyone here. I’ve had a few recent medical setbacks which have delayed my keyboard purchase, but pleased to say I’m now on the mend, and I’ve just managed to order a PSR-S770.
These are getting quite rare here in the U.K. with the release of the 775 & 975, but managed to pick a new one up for £699, which is certainly a lot less than the 775 is going for over here.

Now for the steep learning curve to begin.  :)

Regards
Steve

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 03:49:46 AM »
Hi Steve,

I'm happy to hear that you're on the mend.  I know you'll enjoy your new PSR-S770 keyboard when it arrives.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

jm

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 08:39:38 PM »
Hi Steve & welcome back. I have been a member of this. Forum for some
time now & I can tell you from personal experience, this would have’to
be the best!  The members here are very very helpful &  knowledgeable.
I have learnt so much & would encourage you to become a supporting member.
The extra benefits are well worth it, and as in my case I have made a couple of
small donations to suit my finances at the time. There was no pressure to do so!
 Enjoy your keyboard.
Kind regards
jm

Offline Gloria

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 05:18:55 AM »
WELCOME STEVE & I'M GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE FEELING BETTER!   :)

REGARDS GLORIA
"Music is the Universal Language"
PSR Performer Page

SteveJ

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 06:48:47 PM »
Thanks guys for the good wishes. My PSR-S770 turned up the other day, and I must say I’m blown away by what this keyboard can do.  :)
I’m gradually working my way through it all, but at least I know where to come for expert help. 👍

Steve

Offline Toril S

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 08:01:44 PM »
Hi Steve. Congratulations with your new S770! There is nothing like playing around wit a new keyboard! Have fun  :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

ekurburski

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 01:39:15 AM »
hey Steve.  Welcome to the world of top of the line arrangers.  Hope you don't intend on getting anything else done for awhile.   These kb's have a way of grabbing you and taking up all of your time.  Just imagine working your way through 100,000 styles!  How many pages in your manual + a couple hundred more here.  have fun.

Earl

Offline DerekA

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 09:21:09 PM »
It's a great choice, have loads of fun!
Genos