Author Topic: Steinberg / Yamaha and Genos  (Read 936 times)

Offline Jeff Hollande

Steinberg / Yamaha and Genos
« on: July 28, 2017, 06:45:22 AM »
Hi :

Since 2002 Steinberg ( Cubase ) is owned ( 100% ) by Y, as we all know.

Some of you might remember I have contacted Steinberg ( Cubase ) / Germany early this week about a DAW for Yami arr kbs.

Today I have received their e-mail message :

Steinberg is not informed about any new product.

I believe all Steinberg employees ( like all other Yami personnel and dealers ) are not allowed to speak about new products.

That's all, Folks ! ;)
Jeff

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 06:57:58 AM by Jeff Hollande »
XGW - SONAR PLATINUM - CUBASE 8 WIN - MIXCRAFT8

Online Bachus

Re: Steinberg / Yamaha and Genos
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 09:05:47 AM »
Hi :

Since 2002 Steinberg ( Cubase ) is owned ( 100% ) by Y, as we all know.

Some of you might remember I have contacted Steinberg ( Cubase ) / Germany early this week about a DAW for Yami arr kbs.

Today I have received their e-mail message :

Steinberg is not informed about any new product.

I believe all Steinberg employees ( like all other Yami personnel and dealers ) are not allowed to speak about new products.

That's all, Folks ! ;)
Jeff
i dont see why you want a specific daw for arranger keyboards...
It should work the other way around, arranger keyboards itself should adapt to have better integration with excisting daws.. like the montage and kronos do, but then on steroids

If yamaha was to make special tools to integrate with the arranger keybaords, i think they would choose dedicated tools on the ipad. Like an ipad midi editor, with piano roll, that allws you to directly edit midi patterns inside the Arranger, weather it is a part of a style or a track in a midifile/song.

Same goes for sound edditing.. if the screen is to small for a decent editor, add it as a dedicated ipad app, allowing for voice editing directly in the arranger key..

However, my wish is that the Genos has a 12" touchscreen, so all editing can be done on that screen.. as well as functioning as a very capable sheet music reader.
Life is like a box of chocolats, you never know what you are gonna get, so enjoy them all.  I am wayting for the next box of chocolate the Yamaha Genos.

Admin of : www.keyszone.boards.net

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 10:27:44 AM »
OK, Bachus, patience is the only key word for now.

Jeff
XGW - SONAR PLATINUM - CUBASE 8 WIN - MIXCRAFT8

Online Bachus

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 11:43:16 AM »
OK, Bachus, patience is the only key word for now.

Jeff

Patience?

With Guns or with Roses? Or both?
Life is like a box of chocolats, you never know what you are gonna get, so enjoy them all.  I am wayting for the next box of chocolate the Yamaha Genos.

Online Joe H

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 11:45:28 AM »
I posted some style templates awhile back over here:  http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,36111.msg273347.html#msg273347

All Yamaha needs to do is add a VST plug-in for Cubase so we can use keyboard buttons and sliders to control a style creator / editor.  Arranger - Cubase integration would include drum and phrase loops, CASM Editor and 2-way data transfer via USB-MIDI cable like is done with the Motif Editor.

BTW... the Motif editor can be used as a stand-alone editor or run in Cubase.  If run inside Cubase, setups can be saved as a Cubase Project... which has some advantages in that you wouldn't have to configure things the way you like every time you use the editor.

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 11:46:56 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Online Bachus

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 12:55:38 PM »
I posted some style templates awhile back over here:  http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,36111.msg273347.html#msg273347

All Yamaha needs to do is add a VST plug-in for Cubase so we can use keyboard buttons and sliders to control a style creator / editor.  Arranger - Cubase integration would include drum and phrase loops, CASM Editor and 2-way data transfer via USB-MIDI cable like is done with the Motif Editor.

BTW... the Motif editor can be used as a stand-alone editor or run in Cubase.  If run inside Cubase, setups can be saved as a Cubase Project... which has some advantages in that you wouldn't have to configure things the way you like every time you use the editor.

Joe H
however, the editor is just sounds if i remember correct..
Its not for edditing arps or onboard midi parts in the Motif..

But the daw controll button on the Motif is an incredible thing..
Still wondering why it never made it to the Montage..

Online Joe H

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 01:15:47 PM »
The editors for each Motif instrument are slightly different based on the particular keyboard model or sound module version.  For the Motif Rack XS, the editor is a full flown Voice editor with the ability to build you own User Banks (3 banks of 128) and to create completely new custom Multis (Performances on the Motif keyboard). 

Multis have 4 live arppegiators (plus 12 other channels you can record to with an external sequencer).  So custom Multis consist of both custom Voices and any combination of 4 arpeggios with 5 possible variations for each arp (triggered by a Program Change or sysex command).   I'm looking into the possibility of creating new styles for my arranger this way.  Multis can also be used in place of Multi Pads or even play along with Multi Pads. So I'm looking at the possibility of "triggering" Multis from the S970 via a custom 'dummy' expansion pack Voice bank that will use Motif Bank Select/Program change numbers.  The Motif Voice messages can be programmed into a Multi Pad or by selecting an expansion pack Voice.  This concept also applies to triggering Voices for my Plug-in boards in the MU modules.

I see many possibilities of integrating the S970 and Motif Rack... but a fully integrated arranger would be better still.

;)

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 01:19:37 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Online Bachus

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 03:34:16 AM »
The editors for each Motif instrument are slightly different based on the particular keyboard model or sound module version.  For the Motif Rack XS, the editor is a full flown Voice editor with the ability to build you own User Banks (3 banks of 128) and to create completely new custom Multis (Performances on the Motif keyboard). 

Multis have 4 live arppegiators (plus 12 other channels you can record to with an external sequencer).  So custom Multis consist of both custom Voices and any combination of 4 arpeggios with 5 possible variations for each arp (triggered by a Program Change or sysex command).   I'm looking into the possibility of creating new styles for my arranger this way.  Multis can also be used in place of Multi Pads or even play along with Multi Pads. So I'm looking at the possibility of "triggering" Multis from the S970 via a custom 'dummy' expansion pack Voice bank that will use Motif Bank Select/Program change numbers.  The Motif Voice messages can be programmed into a Multi Pad or by selecting an expansion pack Voice.  This concept also applies to triggering Voices for my Plug-in boards in the MU modules.

I see many possibilities of integrating the S970 and Motif Rack... but a fully integrated arranger would be better still.

;)

Joe H
definately fun to do..

Same way, as i am trying to combine Korg Karma with arranger styles and pads.. results are varying...

Still silently hoping for 8 main keyboard voices in the Genos with arps option for all of them..

As said, 16 parts midi, 8 parts styles, 8 parts pads, 8 parts keyboard voices and 8 spare parts for SSS.. making it a 48 part multitimral instrument with 256 voice polyphony..  it just could happen overnight with the Genos.