Author Topic: Midi Pirates Pop Upright Piano anybody?  (Read 1064 times)

Offline voodoo

Midi Pirates Pop Upright Piano anybody?
« on: July 25, 2017, 04:24:38 AM »
Hi,

did anyone of you try the Midi Pirates Pop Uptight Piano?

https://eu.yamahamusicsoft.com/premium-packs-and-voices/midipirates-pop-upright-piano-t5

With great love to detail we sampled a wonderful Yamaha LU201c Upright Piano. To be honest, itís a beast. Itís the loudest an most brilliant Upright Piano we have heard so far, what makes it so powerful for use in Pop Music playing and production. With a special combination of close and room microphone technique we achieved a recording that unifies the character of an Upright with the full body and brilliance of a Grand Piano. With a maximum 320 MB of Samples and 15 Voices it is still reasonably sized for your Flash-Memory equipped Keyboard and will give you plenty of fun on stage, in the studio or simply practicing. We hope you enjoy our Midipirates Pop Upright Piano!

Currently there is 20% discount in the Yamaha web shop, so I am thinking of getting it. Is it worth the price? Has anyone purchased this pack? How does it compare to the internal Tyros piano presets?

This pack contains an 8 layer multisample (320 MB). There are also two less expensive packs (for S970/S770) with 5 layers (215 MB) or 3 layers (128 MB).

Uli
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Marcus

Re: Midi Pirates Pop Upright Piano anybody?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 05:52:05 AM »
Hi Uli

That's when I purchase my styles and packs when YamahaMusicSoft has their 20% off sale. Sorry, I haven't tried the Midi Pirates Pop Uptight Piano pack, but it is one that I might consider. Not only as a nice quality piano to use for playing on my Tyros 5, but useful inserting into styles, MIDI song files or Multipads.

The Tyros 5 pianos are only average quality, but sound great and authentic in the mix, styles or in a final recording. I had to tweak a few, but their is certainly room for improvement, especially stretching out these older piano samples with the Tyros platform.

I am sure better pianos are on the way with the upcoming Genos (I guess that name is now established). My position is this, personally I am holding off any Yamaha pack purchase until I see what is offered in the Genos. If the Genos heads more into the direction of modern contemporary music production/arranging, without significant upgrade or innovation to more traditional music genres, then I might just hold onto my Tyros 5s. I am presently stretched with the 1GB flash memory. If I hold on to my Tyros 5s for a few more years, I would most likely purchase the 2GB version of the flash memory boards, and purchase the couple of remaining expansion packs I am interested in, including the Midi Pirates Pop Uptight Piano.

This probably doesn't help you, but maybe someone did try out the pack and will comment. Also, if you did purchase this Tyros 5 piano pack, there is a strong likelihood that if you did upgrade to the Genos, you should be able to load all your YEM packs to that expansion memory, so you never really loose that piano option (or lets hope that all previous Tyros 5 content/expansion is compatible with the new Genos).

Regards, Marcus   
Gear: Triangle

Offline voodoo

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 06:07:34 AM »
Hi Marcus,

thank you very much for this very qualified answer. Your thoughts are helpful in any case. Of course I am looking forward to what the T5 successor will bring. And I hope that all the YEM content will be usable on the next machine, as the PPFs are now usable on S670, S770, S970 and T5.

I also like to use the "StudioGrand.ppf" that you posted some time ago. On the other hand I like the high quality piano samples that Nord is offering regularly for free for my Electro 5, thus updating my S970 for small gigs is a current wish.

Uli
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 09:36:21 AM »
I have this pack for the 770.

As you said it's only a 3 layer version so not as good as the T5 one. I like it, it is certainly more full sounding than the preset one. Not sure it's really worth the full price though, but now I've got it I am happy to have it.

It is a protected pack which means you download an encrypted version. When you create the PPI for the keyboard in yem it requires your music soft password to verify the purchase for the install target. So I don't know if you can easily use it with a different model.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:42:31 AM by DerekA »
S770

Offline beano

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 12:07:32 AM »
very interesting reading,,,i'll head over to musicsoft site and take a look...thanks for the heads up everyone 

Offline voodoo

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 12:25:13 AM »
Hi Derek,

thank you very much for the answer. Did they sell the encrypted version over the Yamaha web site? On the product page this fact is not mentioned. So I find it less interesting, when I am restricted to where I can use the expansion. I thought about getting the T5 full version with all three sizes, and use it on my S970 and perhaps later on the T5 successor. But this seems to be not possible this way.

Uli
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D

Offline Marcus

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 03:17:22 AM »
Just a question, but when I owned a Tyros 5 and Tyros 4 at the same time, I remember buying a Tyros 5 Premium pack version that was credited to my Yamaha account download page. It was then available in my same account to download the Tyros 4 version for my Tyros 4. So I only bought the pack once, but it was available for both my Tyroses.

Same idea as when I bought previous versions of Premium Expansion packs or voices, that automatically were credited to my Yamaha account to download to my next Tyros model. I purchased the SA2 Pan Flutes for my Tyros 3, yet I always got the Tyros 4 and now Tyros 5 versions from my account available to download without having to re-purchase any Premium Pack.

I realize I am dealing with the same model arranger, but wouldn't this hold true if one owned a Tyros 5 and a PSR-s970 at the same time, that an identical Premium Pack would only be purchased once, credited to your Yamaha account for both keyboards? It wouldn't make sense to me that you would have to buy the same pack twice, following the logic that I wouldn't have to buy the Genos versions of all my previous boughten packs.

I also realize that the S970 doesn't use SA2 and other Tyros features that maybe in the comparable pack, but at least if you purchased the larger Tyros 5 version pack, you should get credited the S970 version. Same logic for styles; I would logically purchase the Tyros 5 version, yet it could also be used on the S970 with substituted voices and drum kits where applicable.

I think a few forum members own both a Tyros and S970. Do you only buy a pack once or have to buy each version for each board? Pretty unfair on Yamaha's part if you are forced to buy both versions.  :(

Marcus

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 07:01:14 AM »
Yes I bought it through the Yamaha musicsoft website.

Its the only protected pack I have so sorry can't confirm if it can be used on other keyboards. However I do know that the versions for different keyboards are different. So for example the 970 version is too big to fit on the 770.

I don't quite remember but I think I also had to upload my instrument file during the purchase which would again suggest the pack is tied to a specific keyboard. I also had to use the absolute latest version of yem so perhaps they have introduced some new protection features recently.
S770

Offline voodoo

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 08:07:38 AM »
I don't quite remember but I think I also had to upload my instrument file during the purchase which would again suggest the pack is tied to a specific keyboard. I also had to use the absolute latest version of yem so perhaps they have introduced some new protection features recently.

You are right, encrypted packs for PSR-S are new since the latest YEM version. Before that they were only for Tyros, as Eileen says.
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 05:05:16 PM »
I bought it in the discount.
I am really disappointed with the quality. It's not even the same sound piano that I did on YEM.
350MB is a huge amount of space to make a good Piano.
I wonder if Yamaha has a refund policy with the product not satisfied? I want to return it or exchange for another sound package.

Tyros 5 with MUTEC 2Gb + Roland RD-300NX

Offline Marcus

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 08:02:58 PM »
I am really disappointed with the quality. It's not even the same sound piano that I did on YEM.
350MB is a huge amount of space to make a good Piano.
I wonder if Yamaha has a refund policy with the product not satisfied? I want to return it or exchange for another sound package.
With an eight layered multi sample, the piano voice should of been at a decent quality level. I'm sure an eight layered concert quality grand piano would of sounded better, quality wise, compared to an upright piano, but if you were disappointed in the product, you should qualify for a refund from YamahaMusicSoft.

There has been some examples of refunds in various posts in the past, so I don't think that should be an issue from a dissatisfaction perspective. I always was satisfied with the Yamaha Expansion pack quality, but this Upright Piano pack is from a third party, so maybe a quality issue or you just don't like the piano sample or wasn't as expected from the audio demos. Either way, you should get a refund, and feel free to purchase another pack you are interested in.

Your opinion is helpful towards others making a decision about purchasing this pack. Maybe to some others, this piano sample could be exactly what they were looking for. Sometimes sounds can be fairly subjective or useable for a different purpose.

I used to make a lot of Custom Voices for my Tyros 4. A decent quality single layer voice averaged around 50 MBs. So an eight layer around 350 MBs sound about right for a quality piano, but of course other quality factors fall into play as well.

Marcus

Offline voodoo

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 11:48:58 PM »

Can you confirm that the pack comes as an excrypted pack? Or is it a plain PPF?
Yamaha PSR-S970 (sold)
Yamaha Genos (ordered)
Nord Electro 5D

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 12:39:53 AM »
Can you confirm that the pack comes as an excrypted pack? Or is it a plain PPF?

At the same time I bought 4 packages from Yamaha. Include:
- Eurodance 2016
- Entertaiment 2016
- Vintage Synth
- Upright Piano.
All files are in CPF format.
Tyros 5 with MUTEC 2Gb + Roland RD-300NX