Author Topic: Not Long Now. New Yamaha Flagship Keyboard On Its Way!  (Read 6118 times)

Offline Nippynige

Not Long Now. New Yamaha Flagship Keyboard On Its Way!
« on: July 21, 2017, 02:08:13 AM »
Hi all,

I thought you would all like to know that the Tyros 5 replacement is having its official launch to dealers in Germany on the 18/19th September. It is unlikely that there will be any further news before then. Exciting times ahead. Only time will tell if it is going to offer a genuine alternative to the mighty Tyros 5.

Best wishes for now....... :)

Offline maartenb

Re: Not Long Now. New Yamaha Flagship Keyboard On Its Way!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 04:32:29 AM »
Thanks for sharing. Your date is a week later than Jeff Hollande's date of September 10th.

September 18th/19th is a Monday/Tuesday. September 10th is a Sunday.

We'll see!

Maarten

Offline Monang

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 05:45:21 AM »
Waiting for new model . :)
Music Is My Life

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 12:46:46 PM »
What about all Tyros capabilities in a smaller and more portable model, like the S970? That would really be great.
Toril S

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 01:28:44 PM »
Cant see this happening. Tyros has a lot of hard ware in it and needs the space.

Offline Pauljones

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 12:00:41 AM »
Pre-booked my T5 and got it on day one.  Few months later, Yamaha through in extra memory and packs for free.  I guess this time, I'll wait.  I don't think I am going to miss much by waiting a bit longer. The only thing I worry about is being about to carry of my styles over.  When I said my styles, most of them were downloaded from the forum, uploaded by generous members such as Eileen, Roger and many others to name.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2017, 11:31:39 AM »
As long as the pianos and saxes plus guitars are improved,I do not care about the rest

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 05:24:48 AM »
Hi
I find guitars are a little unrealistic and saxes are great down the bottom and middle , but the higher notes are unrealistic and squeal being critical.
The pianos are a little toppy,orchestra's the same, slightly weak or thin at the top ends.

For what we get with the Tyros is good value,but I am hoping for more realistic sound and a better speaker system on the next keyboard.
I am not worried about arpegiators and bells and whistles as the Tyros only needs a better sound system and sounds upgraded with matching DAW or compatibility with them 100%.UGAWOGA!!!

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 05:25:58 AM by ugawoga »

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 09:24:16 AM »
  sounds upgraded with matching DAW or compatibility

I am almost sure the sound will be improved.
However, I wonder if the DAW feature will be available ... is it a real home player need ? I do not know.
More people ( including myself ) would be very happy with this feature.
But ... I am afraid it is a dream and hopefully I am wrong. ::)

Y will always go their own way.
Apparently up to now they were always successful.   

Jeff   
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:25:44 AM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 11:39:50 AM »
Hi Jeff
If only the home user knew what an easy readable daw with piano roll could do for them.
It can be used to clean up mistakes for a perfect recording.
It can also have extra tracks that needs more than a pair of hands
Mistakes do not matter playing live as most people do not notice if they chat or have fun. Only the trainspotter will notice!!! :o
It is getting exiting now as we are nearing September
Just hope the japanese ship does not get stuck up the Panama Canal or Suez If going the other way. :-\
You never know King yum yum ong from North Korea may hijack the ship or nuke it. :-[
Even Putin fancies himself on the keyboards. 8)
I am not sure what Trump would make of the Genos!!! "Build that genos, Build that genos"!!!!! ::)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 01:25:58 PM »
Hi Bachus
Yes I suppose If they incorporated it Inside the keyboard,then plug In a monitor.
All depends on the cost for Yamaha.
Hope something along those lines are put In

All TheBest
John

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 01:28:17 PM »
  sounds upgraded with matching DAW or compatibility   a big yes to that!! :) :) :P ::) :o ;D :D :) :-*

I am almost sure the sound will be improved.
However, I wonder if the DAW feature will be available ... is it a real home player need ? I do not know.
More people ( including myself ) would be very happy with this feature.
But ... I am afraid it is a dream and hopefully I am wrong. ::)

Y will always go their own way.
Apparently up to now they were always successful.   

Jeff

Marty this keyboard will need some extra power!!

"Great Scott"!!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 01:36:55 PM by ugawoga »

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2017, 02:55:14 PM »
Being an XGWorks - and a Sonar daily user for many years I know the joy and benefits of DAWS.

For many years we asked Y frequently to update XGW. They never did.

For me it is hard to believe Y will create a Genos DAW prog but you never know if you believe in miracles.😄

For many years we asked Steinberg to make a Yami keyboard DAW. They never did.

We only can hope a third party like Thomas will do the job.

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Joe H

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2017, 03:57:20 PM »
... For many years we asked Steinberg to make a Yami keyboard DAW. They never did.

We only can hope a third party like Thomas will do the job.

Jeff

I have a style Template for Cubase but there is no CASM Editor.  StyleMagic is actually easier to use than Cubase in my opinion. If would update the program to Import MIDI loops, I'd be a happy camper.

Thomas has never responded to my request to add Import MIDI Loop.  I might be the only person who has requested this update.

The idea is simple... click on a disk icon for any channel in Channels Manager and load a loop.  Play it... if you like it keep, if not delete it and try another.  Each channel can be muted so it's easy to listen to a single channel or multiple channels. Left-click to go to the Voice Editor, right-Click to go to the Piano Roll (Multeditor). 

Right now StyleMagic is like having a nice car... but the hand brake is locked so you can't drive it very far.

;)

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 04:08:04 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 10:58:43 PM »
Why oh Why is Steinberg, one of world's best DAW producers, a company 100% owned by Yami, not selling a Yami arranger keyboard DAW ? :(

Isn't it strange we have to depend on a third party like Thomas e.g. ?
 The answer is very simple : Company Policy.

A Yami kb is made for home players, they say.
Apparently most home players are not interested in computer progs. They only want to sit and play the kb, they say.

Wished I could convince Yami's Marketing people there is an urgent need for a Yami DAW but it looks like our words are blowing in the wind.

Jeff

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:26:37 PM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 03:29:20 AM »
Hi Joe :

This morning I have sent an e-mail to Steinberg Germany about the need of a Yamaha Arranger Keyboard DAW.

They confirmed receipt and promised to reply asap.

As soon as their answer comes in I will let you all know their reaction.

Best regards, Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

The following users thanked this post: ugawoga

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 03:29:42 AM »
Hi Jeff

Can you ask Thomas to upgrade the Piano roll like that of Sonar and Cubase.
More detailed in the pro daws

Just another wish!!! :o
Time is slowing down waiting for the kettle to boil!! :P.

All the Best
john 8)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 03:31:48 AM »
Hi Joe :

This morning I have sent an e-mail to Steinberg Germany about the need of a Yamaha Arranger Keyboard DAW.

They confirmed receipt and promised to reply asap.

As soon as their answer comes in I will let you all know their reaction.

Best regards, Jeff
Big thanks for doing that Jeff :)
All the best
john

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 03:37:28 AM »
Hi John,

I am not a customer of Thomas, sorry.
His programs are not ( yet ) so interesting for my personal applications. DAWS are more my thing.

I believe but not sure Joe H contacted Thomas to talk about your request.
I am sure Joe will keep you posted.

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 03:41:46 AM »
Big thanks for doing that Jeff :)
All the best
john

You are most welcome, John. :)
I may hope Steinberg will bring us good news.

Jeff, The Hopeful
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline EileenL

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 03:52:21 AM »
Well Jeff,
  Afraid I buy a keyboard to play it. So do a lot of other keyboard owners I know. You just cant beat the feeling you get when just sitting playing your favorite songs and truly relaxing. If I wanted a perfect recording I would buy a CD of it. Years ago nearly every home had a piano and always someone in the family could play it even if it was only busking. What would they have done with a computer programme. They weren't even available then anyway.
  It seems nowdays on forums that if you say you just want to sit and play something you have paid a lot of money for you are thought of as an old fuddy duddy or strange.

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 04:28:13 AM »
Hi Eileen,

I respect everybody's opinion and wishes.
It has never been and will never be my intention to hurt people.

You are right in the past computers did not exist and people enjoyed to play their instruments.
I am sure the joy of playing an instrument has not changed and hopefully it never will.

Nowadays we cannot deny the computer, the tablet and the smart phone became an important tool for younger and older people ( like me ).

Computer programs are there to make our way of living easier, much more comfortable.
Without these programs and/or without computer hardware of today there would not exist modern arranger keyboards.

Thanks to all these programs we can do a lot more without any help of other people whilst we are improving our music techniques and sound.

I may hope you agree. ;)

Best wishes, Jeff

DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline pjd

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 05:54:25 AM »
Hello Eileen and Jeff --

Well, I like to do both: 1. create using a computer and 2. playing. Quite often, "playing" means "just sit and play," meaning "get that machine, software, etc. out of the blooming way and let my brain and hands simply do the work and have fun!" Playing an instrument is emotional magic.

So, I know this forum can sometimes dip deeply into bits and bytes, but really all are welcome. That's why I keep coming back here and why I don't join many other forums.

All the best -- pj

P.S. Jeff, by now, we all know you as a good guy. Smiles.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2017, 06:11:50 AM »
I agree to a certain degree Jeff, but when I go out playing for singers or just playing people often come up to me wanting to know how I have produced such music and how good the keyboard sounds. I often give them little demo's of what I do and several people have gone out and got a keyboard. I do use an Ipad pro for my music and the YEM for loading my samples but that's it.
These keyboards can do most things but I don't think people even try to see what it will do for you. Also some people have there computers in different rooms.

Offline mikf

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2017, 06:33:44 AM »
Eileen
You come right out of the main cut of people who buy Tyros/PSR. In fact that might not be true because you probably delve into the technology much more than most, and are obviously very knowledgeable on the Tyros operation.
If we could ask 1000 typical owners and prospective buyers of a Tyros/PSR whether they thought a DAW was important I suspect the replies would be close to this:
- 300 would have no idea what DAW even stood for and have to look it up.
-  300 might know the term but not really understand what it does.
- 300 would understand roughly what it does but have little interest in using it.
- 100 might consider it a priority on a future Tyros/PSR
- maybe that last 100 is an overestimate! ;D
Mike

Offline Joe H

« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2017, 07:29:30 AM »
Eileen
You come right out of the main cut of people who buy Tyros/PSR. In fact that might not be true because you probably delve into the technology much more than most, and are obviously very knowledgeable on the Tyros operation.
If we could ask 1000 typical owners and prospective buyers of a Tyros/PSR whether they thought a DAW was important I suspect the replies would be close to this:
- 300 would have no idea what DAW even stood for and have to look it up.
-  300 might know the term but not really understand what it does.
- 300 would understand roughly what it does but have little interest in using it.
- 100 might consider it a priority on a future Tyros/PSR
- maybe that last 100 is an overestimate! ;D
Mike

That's why I like StyleMagic.  It's not a DAW and is much easier to use.  It's dedicated software for creating styles from MIDI song files and is an excellent style editor.  Thomas speaks very little English so it is difficult to propose ideas and new updates to him for his program.  Also his line of MIDI software is NOT his day job, so is not top priority.

We will have to wait and see what Thomas has been working on for the next release.  Cubase is the original Digital Audio Workstation but has a very steep learning curve and is "over kill" for style creation and style editing.  It's unlikely that Steinberg would make stand-alone style software, and is more likely to create a VST plug-in for that.

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:30:54 AM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2017, 07:59:44 AM »

An arranger keyboard is made to play music. That is why a music instrument is made for.
No doubt in my mind. :)

However, without computer technology it would be hard to show what an arranger keyboard can do today.  ::)

Digital music software programs are very helpful to expand our musical creativity.  :D
The sky is almost the limit. ;)

Jeff

DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2017, 08:05:39 AM »
Hi Joe,

I like your idea ! :)

It would be wonderful if Steinberg could make a VST for that particular job.
I would be very delighted.

Jeff

DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Joe H

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2017, 08:18:21 AM »
Well the arranger is for more than just playing.  It is called an "arranger workstation" for a reason.  We can arrange an elaborate piece of music with registrations using styles and Multi Pads.

Joe H

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2017, 09:21:05 AM »
Indeed, an Arranger Workstation. :)

The question now is :

Will the Genos be an arranger workstation with additional Digital Audio Workstation features or a Tyros5 update ( upgrade if you prefer that word ) ?

I noticed a number of members would like to see a new arranger workstation with some Montage features, am I right ?

Jeff

DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2017, 09:39:00 AM »
Hi
I would say to Eileen ,YES!! it is great to play and that is what I like to do
BUT--I like a pristine recording to look back on

All I do Is play a song on the Tyros until It Is nearly how i like It and just do some minor timing or repair minor foul ups.
I do want to write my own music soon and that has got to be precise for me,but I still practice like billy 'o.
I started late in life and never played live and would not know how to deal with the shakes if i did!!!

The Tyros plus a decent daw would be out of this world and I do think we all must go with technology or get left behind.

To think youngsters today gather samples and press flashing light buttons on a square box ,and have the cheek to call it music. It is well paid in certain circles.      RAVE ON!!!
Well that's technology!!!! ::)

All the best
John 8)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 09:44:36 AM by ugawoga »

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2017, 10:32:46 AM »
Hi John,

For many years I use my keyboard to write songs only and sequence progs are my most valuable tools. :D
Sonar Platinum is my favourite audio DAW and XGWorks my favourite midi sequencer.
Yamaha XGW might be old but in my eyes the best midi sequence program ever.

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2017, 01:23:09 PM »
Hi jeff

Sonar Platinum for me is great for vst Instruments but not for the Tyros.
You can always find a workaround ,but It takes time.
Hurry up September  ;D

all the Best
john

"Oh jingle bells,jingle bells, jingle all the way!!! :o

Offline Mark Z.

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2017, 01:20:09 AM »
Because we are not sure that the GENOS will be an arranger it is still possible
that the GENOS is the first electronic ACCORDEON with an ARRANGER made by
Yamaha .

Eileen is right , when you have a Tyros 5 , you don't need a Daw .
Most players do not know what can be done on the Tyros itself .

There are a few helpfull programs made by Michael Bedesem .
And another program Style Magic .

Come on boys and girls concentrate on your instrument to get the best out of it .

Yes , it takes some days maybe month but you could be surprised about what
is possible .
Many violinplayers had to practise years ......

At this moment I am working on MultiPad Blocks , pages with 10 MultiPad Banks .
I use sounds from many Yamaha Sound Packs so it has no sense to share them .
Each page has 10x4 Pads suiting a Style .
These Blocks suit of course more than one Style .
When I am playing I can change the Pads which I see on my screen .
Yesterday I finished Block 5 .

I am just an amateur so you could imagine what a pro player could do with a Tyros 5 .

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:21:34 AM by Mark Z. »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2017, 01:54:50 AM »
Hi Mark

Have not been on club lately ,but had a nice holiday In Lake Garda.
Fo me , I practice every day and try to get better all of the time,If i do not feel lazy!!! :P
I can play a song through from sheet music after quite a bit of practice.
I decide to record which takes a few goes ,but when I am 95% happy I will stop and put the song Into Sonar Platinum and just tweak a few  timings or bloopers.
If you want to write your own music then a daw Is necessary for ideas and multi-tracking in my view.
Once all that has been done you are really on top of the song and playing It is much easier
In my mind a song that has been multi-tracked has to be also played with a live sit down or you are defeating yourself.
The great thing of multi-tracking Is that you can take the song apart and make your registrations and make pads for the impossible tasks.
I did that with the Alan Parson Sirus and eye in the sky.
Now I can play the song with everything In place live. It took me a while to get that arppegio beginning right ,but as you say with practice all becomes much easier.
Also learning to play two or three note lead makes for a fuller sounding song and all of that is In the same chord structure.
I do hope that the Pianos,sax ,guitars and Orchestra's are upgraded on the Genos as those sounds are a little thin In the upper section of the samples.That is being over critical though.
Hope all is well with you Mark and I will get back Into the club action soon.
I am getting out more often!!! 8)

Ps Well Mark I would like to see you strap a Tyros 5 accross your chest!!! :-X :o

All the best

John
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 01:57:44 AM by ugawoga »

Offline John Plumridge

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2017, 05:55:59 AM »
"Ps Well Mark I would like to see you strap a Tyros 5 accross your chest!!! "

Here, in the UK, we have a professional entertainer who many years ago won a national TV talent show playing the accordian
He is so famous I have forgotten his name.
I had the pleasure,some years back, of being entertained by him playing a modified accordian linked to his Tyros 5 as an expansion voice box.

John
Tyros 3 & Tyros 5
My musical performances are better than they sound !

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2017, 06:50:42 AM »
Because we are not sure that the GENOS will be an  it is still possible
that the GENOS is the first electronic ACCORDEON with an  made by

Sorry Mark ... I am confused. :o

I agree the T5 is a great machine. Wished I had one.  ;)
I surely would not upgrade for the time being.  8)

Apparently you have your doubts the Genos will be the T5 successor, am I right ?
Perhaps you have received other information we are not aware of ?

Plse advise. Many thanks, Jeff
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 06:53:07 AM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Joe H

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2017, 08:05:50 AM »
Because we are not sure that the GENOS will be an arranger it is still possible
that the GENOS is the first electronic ACCORDEON with an ARRANGER made by
Yamaha .

Eileen is right , when you have a Tyros 5 , you don't need a Daw .
Most players do not know what can be done on the Tyros itself .

There are a few helpfull programs made by Michael Bedesem .
And another program Style Magic .

Come on boys and girls concentrate on your instrument to get the best out of it .

Yes , it takes some days maybe month but you could be surprised about what
is possible .
Many violinplayers had to practise years ......

At this moment I am working on MultiPad Blocks , pages with 10 MultiPad Banks .
I use sounds from many Yamaha Sound Packs so it has no sense to share them .
Each page has 10x4 Pads suiting a Style .
These Blocks suit of course more than one Style .
When I am playing I can change the Pads which I see on my screen .
Yesterday I finished Block 5 .

I am just an amateur so you could imagine what a pro player could do with a Tyros 5 .

While I don't know what the GENOS will be (or is) otherwise I have to say that I agree with 100% of the rest of Mark Z's comments.  People complain an awful lot about how the Tyros can't do this or can't do that... or the sounds are crap.  That's a lot of nonsense.  The Tyros is the best sounding keyboard Yamaha makes.  And as Mark says, if people aren't willing to take the time to learn how the Tyros is built and what it can do... then don't blame Yamaha for your own unwillingness to learn something new.

It takes many years of practice to become a good musician and many more years to become a great musician. Likewise... It can take many years to learn how to use the Tyros or S970 arranger to its full potential.  But the effort is worth it... I speak from my own experience.  How does the saying go?  "Nothing ventured, nothing gained"

8)

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 08:30:49 AM by Joe H »

Offline Mark Z.

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2017, 09:46:59 AM »
Hi John ( Ugawoga ) ,

Yes you are an enthousiastic player and make very good music .
It is clever to go to Lake Garda now because it is not sure that British people can
go to other European countries without a visa in the future .
Which is the dark side of brexit .

Hi John P.

Yes it is he quality of the player and what he/she can do with an instrument .
This can also be an accordeonplayer .

Hi Jeff ,

My advice is to wait until we know what comes in the future .
There are always rumors .

Hi Joe ,

You are one of the arrangerplayers who knows what can be done with his
instrument . You know a lot about EDM and MultiPads .
More players should follow you !

Hi Bachus ,

In the period that there were no bicycles ( just not invented ) , B. asked
people in the street " will you buy a bicycle when they are in the shops "?
And than Bachus said , I do not know anyone who wants a bicycle .
He was right until the moment there were bicycles ......

MarkZ.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 09:57:19 AM by Mark Z. »

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2017, 10:20:51 PM »
Hi Mark,

It is always very exciting and funny to talk about a new keyboard we do not know ( yet ) but will be launched very soon.

All musicians are dreamers, boys and crazy about new toys.

I may hope and pray this golden tradition will never stop. 😄

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Mark Z.

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2017, 11:38:07 PM »
Hi Jeff ,

All musicians are dreamers  and crazy about new toys , you are right .
Just like you and all those other dreamers I hope that something very
interesting with lots of new features will come .

I appreciate all the forummembers who take part in this discussion .

MarkZ.

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline P Carrington

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2017, 12:45:16 AM »
The Tyros brand finishes next year and is to be replaced with a very different kind of keyboard, it is thought to be much more computerised.

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2017, 01:06:21 AM »
The Tyros brand finishes next year and is to be replaced with a very different kind of keyboard, it is thought to be much more computerised.

Not next year ... this year. ;)
I am almost sure it will not be a complete different kb.
Would prefer to call it " an upgrade ".

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline billtracy

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2017, 07:04:47 AM »

Not next year ... this year. ;)
I am almost sure it will not be a complete different kb.
Would prefer to call it " an upgrade ".

Jeff

Not to disappoint those like Bachus and Joe H., but I agree with Jeff that the Genos will be evolutionary rather than revolutionary. I was watching some Tyros 5 and S-970 demonstrations by Michel Voncken on youtube. Look at the audience he draws-nearly all "greybeards" like myself and most everyone here. And most of these potential buyers are interested in recreating the "old" music for their own enjoyment at home. They want a good sounding instrument with "out of the box" styles and sounds. For the most part, the features that Bachus and Joe covet mean little to them.

So, I think Genos will be an incremental upgrade. There may be a couple more knobs and maybe a few other features taken from the Montage to satisfy those interested in a more modern approach. But I think Yamaha knows the core buyer and will not risk losing those people. If I am wrong and the Genos is a completely new direction, then Yamaha would at least have to make sure that all of the legacy styles and extra content will be compatible.
Current: Korg PA900, KRK Rokit 5s & 8S sub.
Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740, Yamaha PSR-1100, Yamaha PSR-S750, Roland E-A7.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2017, 08:41:53 AM »
Not to disappoint those like Bachus and Joe H., but I agree with Jeff that the Genos will be evolutionary rather than revolutionary. I was watching some Tyros 5 and S-970 demonstrations by Michel Voncken on youtube. Look at the audience he draws-nearly all "greybeards" like myself and most everyone here. And most of these potential buyers are interested in recreating the "old" music for their own enjoyment at home. They want a good sounding instrument with "out of the box" styles and sounds. For the most part, the features that Bachus and Joe covet mean little to them.

So, I think Genos will be an incremental upgrade. There may be a couple more knobs and maybe a few other features taken from the Montage to satisfy those interested in a more modern approach. But I think Yamaha knows the core buyer and will not risk losing those people. If I am wrong and the Genos is a completely new direction, then Yamaha would at least have to make sure that all of the legacy styles and extra content will be compatible.

What you fail to understand is that if you put out food for squirrels in the yard, then you attract squirrels.  If you put out food for birds then you attract birds.

The arranger keyboard has evolved over 30 years from a toy... to a serious pro level keyboard.  All the "content" Yamaha has provided up until the last couple of models is "gray hair" music.  So what can we expect to attract as a buyer when it's mostly 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s music styles.

You better move over and make room for the next generation... because change is coming.  And I say this as a progressive 69, going on 70 year old who is not so stuck in the past.  While I may still listen to oldies from time to time, I like the contemporary music and I hope Yamaha is hip enough to start offering much needed new "content" for the younger generation buyer.

If all you want is oldies music, then don't ever upgrade again, because there is nothing new that can be added to the old stuff Yamaha has been recycling for the last 30 years.  It is what it is and there is nothing more that can be added to it except for individuals to use Style Creator Assembly to create variations of these oldies styles.

Regards,
Joe H
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 11:37:44 AM by Joe H »

Offline billtracy

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2017, 09:04:20 AM »
The fact that those greybeards are a slowly dying race(not meant to offend anyone) and the fact that there is a namechange, can only indicate that Yamaha is changing directions with the Genos, same way as they did with Montage vs the Motif..

I predict atleast a totally different look from the Tyros..
And also the internals might have had quite some changes..
The new features of the 970 allready indicated Yamaha is moving arrangers more towards younger people. And a fulle renewed Genos will be the answer how they mean to become attractive for a larger group of people while still being attractive enough to the slowly shrincking group of greybeards prepared to pull their wallets..

If it was only an incremental update.. it would have been named the Tyros 6..

The key is the greybeards are a slowly dying breed. That is why I don't think the change will be as drastic as you hope for. I am in my sixties and perhaps among the youngest here. But Yamaha will not do anything to completely alienate those buyers. But we agree that there will be a move toward the younger people, we just disagree on the speed of  that move.
Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740, Yamaha PSR-1100, Yamaha PSR-S750, Roland E-A7.

Offline billtracy

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2017, 09:08:26 AM »
What you fail to understand is that if you put out food for squirrels in the yard, then you attract squirrels.  If you put out food for birds then you attract birds.

The arranger keyboard has evolved over 30 years from a toy... to a serious pro level keyboard.  All the "content" Yamaha has provided up until the last couple of models is "gray hair" music.  So what can we expect to attract as a buyer when it's mostly 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s music styles.

You better move over and make room for the next generation... because change is coming.  And I say this as a progressive 69, going on 70 year old is not so stuck in the past.  While I may still listen to oldies from time to time, I like the contemporary music and I hope Yamaha is hip enough to start offering much needed new "content" for the younger generation buyer.

If all you want is oldies music, then don't ever upgrade again, because there is nothing new that can be added to the old stuff Yamaha has been recycling for the last 30 years.  It is what it is and there is nothing more that can be added to it.

Regards,
Joe H

Joe,

I don't intend to demean your taste in music in any way. You enjoy some of the new stuff and that is great. All I like is the old stuff and there are many who feel that way. The reason for those like me to upgrade is better sounds and features. If the Genos has the features that you want but continues to support the "greybeards" and their legacy styles and already purchased expansion packs, then  it will be a success all the way around.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2017, 09:41:08 AM »
Joe,

I don't intend to demean your taste in music in any way...

That's not even possible, because it's great and often joyful music!

:)     8)

Joe H

Offline mikf

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2017, 12:11:23 PM »
Graybeards are not a dying breed. There is a never ending supply as people age. Nor does music die out and get replaced by new generations, we simply add new stuff to it. I play music all the time that was written long before I was born. Why - because it is good music. As younger generations mature, they also pick up on the great music of the past. And there is another important issue - some music works better than others on the keyboard. So when we learn to play we naturally move towards that music. Piano playing has remained pretty much the same for the last 100 years, despite moving through multiple generations.
We should not read too much into the name 'arranger', it was just a marketing term invented to distinguish keyboards with advanced auto accompaniment. These keyboards are meant for live playing, and appeal to a very wide range of playing abilities. As they have grown in sophistication marketing has invented more names like professional arrangers, arranger workstations - but fundamentally they remain a keyboard for live playing. And I don't believe this will change. Manufacturers will compete by adding technology which improve the quality of the accompaniment, increase versatility and make editing and performing easier. But new name or not, I do not expect a revolution because this is a successful market. The new keyboard whatever it is called will focus on live playing using auto accompaniment. It will just do it a bit better.
And when todays 20 year olds get to be 55 and buy these keyboards they will certainly still be playing Irving Berlin and George Gershwin just like I am.
Mike

Offline Joe H

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2017, 01:18:55 PM »
Graybeards are not a dying breed. There is a never ending supply as people age. Nor does music die out and get replaced by new generations, we simply add new stuff to it. I play music all the time that was written long before I was born. Why - because it is good music. As younger generations mature, they also pick up on the great music of the past. And there is another important issue - some music works better than others on the keyboard. So when we learn to play we naturally move towards that music. Piano playing has remained pretty much the same for the last 100 years, despite moving through multiple generations.
We should not read too much into the name 'arranger', it was just a marketing term invented to distinguish keyboards with advanced auto accompaniment. These keyboards are meant for live playing, and appeal to a very wide range of playing abilities. As they have grown in sophistication marketing has invented more names like professional arrangers, arranger workstations - but fundamentally they remain a keyboard for live playing. And I don't believe this will change. Manufacturers will compete by adding technology which improve the quality of the accompaniment, increase versatility and make editing and performing easier. But new name or not, I do not expect a revolution because this is a successful market. The new keyboard whatever it is called will focus on live playing using auto accompaniment. It will just do it a bit better.
And when todays 20 year olds get to be 55 and buy these keyboards they will certainly still be playing Irving Berlin and George Gershwin just like I am.
Mike

::)    ::)    ::)

Joe H