Author Topic: Convert MIDI files to MP3?  (Read 465 times)

Offline Toril S

Convert MIDI files to MP3?
« on: July 14, 2017, 03:37:55 PM »
Hello! I wonder if there is any way to convert MIDI files on my PSR 2100 to MP3? Or other audio formats. I tried to play some MIDI files from this page on my PC. Windows Media Player actually played them, something I did not think was possible. But it sounded a bit funny. I am new to this music file thing, therefore this silly question. I would like to save songs I have created on the 2100 on something other than a floppy :)
Toril S
Toril S

Offline DrakeM

Re: Convert MIDI files to MP3?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 04:12:30 PM »
What you need to do is download this free program and install it on your pc.

http://www.audacityteam.org/download/

Then connect you Keyboards OUTPUT to the INPUT of your PC with two stereo wires. They are not expensive (probably have them at Wal-Mart).

Then you can play the midi on your keyboard and record the song on your PC and save it as an MP3.

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 04:22:57 PM by DrakeM »

Offline Dick Rector

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 05:35:25 PM »
Drake gave the perfect solution and if I may add,

If you are listening to midi-songs and even when you use good external speakers connected to your computer, sound wise a much better result, but still not optimal is when you use good headphones to listen to the recorded songs on your computer.

Why is it not optimal?
An average computer soundcard playing a midi can simply NOT reproduce the same HiFi-quality as a keyboard can.
And if you are listening to a MIDI-song on your computer, it can NOT reproduce sounds above the GM (General Midi) level and that is restricted to ‘only’ 127 voices.
If you look at your keyboard, even if it is not a top-model or an older one, how many MORE voices can it produce? In almost all cases MANY MORE!!

What does that mean?
For example, the beautiful Yamaha XG- and Live and Sweet-voices, Mega-voices and Super-Articulated-voices do not sound on a computer-soundcard because they are simply not available!
You do not hear them or, with a bit of luck, what you will hear is a substitute-voice from within the GM range. But that is ONLY because of the  soundcard!
So don’t worry if it sounds a bit ‘thin’ or incomplete on the computer, the complete ‘musical-info’ will be there in your saved file!

When you are satisfied with the result of your recordings (I use Drake's method myself), you can burn the files saved on the computer to a CD or put them on an USB-drive, a mobile phone or Ipod/pad and you will be amazed by the sound quality when you play your CD in your home-stereo-sound-system. It will sound in most cases even BETTER than from the keyboard onboard speakers.

My two cents.
Have fun recording!

Regards Dick
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 08:03:29 AM »
Thaks, both of You for good advice!
Best regards, Toril S
Toril S