Author Topic: Discreet Drum Channels For DAW  (Read 529 times)

Offline HHNET

Discreet Drum Channels For DAW
« on: July 13, 2017, 02:06:54 PM »
Hello everyone, so glad this forum is here!

Is there a way to split up all of the percussion instruments in the drum track? Many of them are so out of balance for recording purposes and I was hoping I could somehow export them into my DAW as DISCREET tracks/channels/MIDI, etc., so I can collate them into a DCA on my mixer yet have exact control over volume and pan. I understand the Tyros onboard mixer has some of this control but it appears the only drum output is a STEREO track of 2 channels. Example: the drums are comprised of 8 percussion instruments which would be 8 channels or 8 tracks IF DISCREET. This is what I am after. Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline MBedesem

Re: Discreet Drum Channels For DAW
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 02:13:59 PM »
Check out the Drum Edit View of MixMaster.

With it you can edit the individual characteristics of the drum voices as if they were midi channels.

See http://psrtutorial.com/MB/mixMaster.html

Regards,

Michael
Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

Offline Cosmorot

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 03:14:15 AM »
Wow!  :o And there is not the same, only for the ogran of the world?

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 05:33:18 AM »
As Michael says, you can use MixMaster.

But to answer your question about DAWs, many DAWs have some sort of MIDI event filter that you can use to filter out unwanted events-- or, in this case, split different events between different tracks-- based upon various criteria. This is often found under the effects options, since it is something that you are applying to the track's raw input. The available filtering options may differ for different DAWs, but one of the common options is to filter the Note events based upon their values-- i.e., you would set a low value and a high value to specify the range of Note events you want to let through, and any Note events outside of that range will be filtered out of the track. So if you wanted a track to capture only a single Note, you would set both the low and high values to that particular Note value. So you can define 8 tracks (using your example), all with the same MIDI input port and MIDI channel, add the MIDI effect filter to each of them, and define their low and high values so each track captures a single Note value.

There's also another possible option. Some DAWs let you split up or explode a given MIDI track into separate tracks based upon some criteria, such as the channel numbers, event types, Note values, etc. This is basically a variation of the first method, but it might involve less set-up work on your part.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Dusan

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 05:40:37 AM »
As Michael says, you can use MixMaster.

But to answer your question about DAWs, many DAWs have some sort of MIDI event filter that you can use to filter out unwanted events-- or, in this case, split different events between different tracks-- based upon various criteria. This is often found under the effects options, since it is something that you are applying to the track's raw input. The available filtering options may differ for different DAWs, but one of the common options is to filter the Note events based upon their values-- i.e., you would set a low value and a high value to specify the range of Note events you want to let through, and any Note events outside of that range will be filtered out of the track. So if you wanted a track to capture only a single Note, you would set both the low and high values to that particular Note value. So you can define 8 tracks (using your example), all with the same MIDI input port and MIDI channel, add the MIDI effect filter to each of them, and define their low and high values so each track captures a single Note value.

There's also another possible option. Some DAWs let you split up or explode a given MIDI track into separate tracks based upon some criteria, such as the channel numbers, event types, Note values, etc. This is basically a variation of the first method, but it might involve less set-up work on your part.

How to split Midi drum's track in Sonar Platinum?Enyone...?
Dušan

If you want to fly,you must first walk....

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 06:44:00 AM »
How to split Midi drum's track in Sonar Platinum?Enyone...?

I found the following article in the Cakewalk Knowledge Base, which describes one possible method:

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013155/Splitting-up-your-MIDI-drums

EDIT: I guess that's actually two methods, one involving CAL (Cakewalk Application Language) and the other involving manual editing with the Piano Roll Editor. I believe there's a "Run CAL" option at the bottom of the "Process" menu, or you can use the CTRL+F1 shortcut.

EDIT #2: I just tried it with the demo version of SONAR Platinum and it didn't work at first, but it was user error. Apparently you must select the events you want to process before you run CAL, otherwise nothing happens. Click on the track you want to split up this way, then press CTRL+A ("Select All") followed by CTRL+F1 ("Run CAL"), and select the "Split Note to Tracks.cal" script. You'll still need to specify the source track after that.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 07:33:00 AM by SeaGtGruff »
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443