Author Topic: I was so close to buying PSR S970  (Read 2371 times)

Offline Toril S

I was so close to buying PSR S970
« on: July 11, 2017, 04:15:56 AM »
Hello, folks :)
I have a PSR 2100, and am considering getting the PSR S970. I tried it again yesterday, and was SO close to buying it. Aside from the price, what held me back was the fact that this model is already two years old, and maybe a new one is coming soon. So, folks, the question is: Should I go for it, or should I wait? Help me decide :)
Toril S
Toril S

Offline mikf

Re: I was so close to buying PSR S970
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 04:48:02 AM »
There might be a new Tyros or equivalent coming soon but I doubt if there is new PSR model likely for at least a year. In any case, if you enjoy playing it, it doesn't suddenly become not enjoyable because a new model appears. The gap in performance between year to year models has never been that big. 
Mike

The following users thanked this post: Toril S

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 05:17:13 AM »
So, glad you didn't purchase your S970 .... yet!

Contact this store for the BEST price on the keyboard.

http://audioworksct.com/

Heck I own a S950 and the way I look at it .. I got my keyboard for less and it sounds as good as a T5 & S970.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 07:55:39 AM »
Thank You for answering! True that old models do not lose their charm even when new ones come. I play a PSR 2100, so whatever I do, I will end up with a much upgradet instrument :) I prefer buying from a local dealer, this because I live in Norway, and here we are punished with skyhigh fees and dues if we buy from the internet! The PSR S970 was not in store at this time, I have to wait for it a couple of weeks if I decide to order it. And that I will do, oh, yes :) I will not be able to restrain myself. A wonderful instrument :)
Toril S
Toril S

Offline browzer

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 09:54:06 AM »

Heck I own a S950 and the way I look at it .. I got my keyboard for less and it sounds as good as a T5 & S970.

Not often I disagree with something you've said Drake but I've owned all 3 keyboards (S950 ,S970 and T5) and my personal opinion is that the S950 is not even in the same class as the T5. I did like the S950 for the year or two that I had it and still think it would be a good economical upgrade from a PSR 2100 but if money was not the top priority I'd ditch the idea of a new S970 and instead recommend a pre-owned T4 or T5.

Ronnie
Tyros 5

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 10:16:04 AM »
The Tyros are not for me, this because I am a one woman band, and must be able to carry my instrument :) Built in speakers are important. I play in small clubs for elderly people, and seldom need external speakers. But, if I had more space at home, I would consider a Tyros as a stationary instrument :)
Toril S

Offline Bruce Breen

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 03:10:15 PM »
Hi,
I used to perform with a PSR 2100...and now use a PSR S950.
So I can assure you that, compared to the older PSR 2100 internal amplification/speakers, you will definitely enjoy the difference in the sound & power of either the PSR-S950 or the S970!!
And there is very little difference in weight between any of the three keyboards...

Good luck!
Bruce Breen
playing a PSR-S950 & PSR-2100

The following users thanked this post: Toril S

Offline EileenL

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 04:12:12 AM »
I agree Ronnie,
  The S series keyboards will never be as good as the Tyros Series but then the price reflects this. I will say my 970 sounds very good and at times it is hard to tell the difference but I miss the keybed we have on Tyros 5 when playing it.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 07:13:06 AM »
I tried a Tyros, and understand that it is a better instrument, but the size is not for me. I am loading some new styles into my old 2100, and the floppy disk affair is starting to get on my nerves :) I have decided to go for the 970, but will keep my trusty old friend 2100 also. I have lived with the sound of it for 14 years, and have had so meny good hours making music on it! Tomorrow we will go out to play again, maybe for the last time out in a club together. I am a little sentimental when it comes to my instruments. They are so much a part of my. I play accordion also. And a little piano. Thanks for responding to my post :)
Toril S
Toril S

Offline Bruce Breen

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 09:48:45 AM »
Hi Toril,
If you can, keep the PSR 2100 until you are familiar with your new one (I still have mine 1-1/2 years after getting my S950).
You may find that you would like to copy some voices and/or styles from the old one...or look up some settings that you need from it. Even though both the S950 and the S950 has many more styles than the older 2100, I needed to copy over about 5 from the 2100 that I felt just weren't among the ones on my newer board.

If you play a 2100 styel on your new keyboard, you will notice that although they play fine, most of the 2100's styles are very bold and upfront when played on the S950/S970 (when compared to those keyboard's internal styles).
You may have to turn down the style's volume when using the 2100's styles...

If you decide that the difference between the two bother's you too much, I recommend that you download Onacimus's style collections from this site for the keyboard model you get...
He has done a tremendous job of making all of the styles fit the keyboard that he makes them for.
Amongst them you will find ALL of the 2100 styles, as well as many more styles from other keyboards, although they may have different names.

All the best!
Bruce Breen
playing a PSR-S950 & PSR-2100

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 11:29:28 AM »
Thanks :) I have discovered the style conversions, and the living room is floating with floppy disks now :) I long desperately for USB, and other new, smart features. I tried the PSR S970, and the sounds are more realistic, but I will take some time getting used to them. I am so familiar with the bold, brass sounds of the 2100! I will keep it, and take Your advice of using the conversions on this page. I have some styles on the 2100 that I know I will want to transfer. i even have a PSR-47, and there was some styles and sounds in that little funny box that I would like to transfer, but that is mission impossible, I am told :) I make a lot of songs myself. Sometimes the song is based on the style, and it will not sound the same with another style, even if it is similar.
Toril S
Toril S

Offline DonM

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 11:46:59 AM »
There are Legacy folders on the S970 where many of the older voices appear.  I especially liked the old Growl Sax better than the new one.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 05:15:40 AM »
We have seen a few times when people have moved up to a newer keyboard they can be a wee bit disappointed. Sometimes its because the EQ settings etc. are different, sometimes it's different samples, sometimes it's because very high expectations are not met.

So I think it's right to expect a bit of a settling-in period to get used to the new sound.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 08:33:40 AM »
Yes! I experienced that when I tried the S970. It was a bit more subdued, more realistic, but a litle unsettling... I went home, played my old 2100, and, oh. THAT is how the sound shall be, I said to myself :) I guess, after 14 years with this keyboard, that is a normal reaction. However, all the new features on the S970 are winning my over. I will keep my old one, so that I can bask myselv in its familiar sounds if the going gets to tough :)
Toril S
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:36:46 AM by Toril S »
Toril S

Offline Keyboardist

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 07:32:13 AM »
Must say when I brought even my s950 home and out of the box; 1st impression "Underwhelmed" :(
After constant tweaking with my old 2000 I guess I got so used to the sound it had and my adjustments.
The s950 seemed at 1st; lack luster.
But after setting the Eq and tweaking and tweak again; now the s950 really shines. :) ;D
These new keyboards especially the S950- 970 needs adjustment right out of the box.
They also need a sub added too in my opinion.
Add a sub even with the on board speakers and you will also get more depth bottom end.
Helps though when at the home front to get good quality powered monitor speakers with a sub.
Then your all set.
Enjoy the s970 it will keep you very busy when in the mood and will out shine your 2100.

Craig "Keyboardist"
http://psrtutorial.com/perf/craigKeyboardist.html
Arranger Workstations
My Performer Page

Offline Toril S

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2017, 09:08:24 AM »
Good idea with a sub, except I live in an apartment building, so my neighbors will hate me :)
Toril S
Toril S

Offline Ed B

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2017, 07:34:54 PM »
Hi Toril
The 970 is a great keyboard. This chap show its capability pretty well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMKhbfjP5Bk&app=desktop

Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Offline Coprah66

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2017, 10:00:31 PM »
Hello Toril,
Given what you wrote, I think the S970 is the right choice for you. Sufficiently well made to get the same sounds and rhythms as on a Tyros. The latter is very easily transportable anyway. It has the advantage of having possibilities of recording and reading mp3 and Wav very interesting. It has especially an external and orientable sound system which is a big advantage for small rooms.
Then it remains to position itself vis--vis the price.
Just two months to wait to find out what Yamaha will release. It would be a shame to stay on old performances if the new arranger is not with a plus. I would be very surprised.
Cordially.
Georges
Sans la musique il n'y a pas de plaisir dans la vie.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 12:09:34 PM »
Hi, George!
I decided to wait untill the new board comes out in september. If it is as big as the Tyros, I will go for the PSR S970. It is hard to wait, but I have lived so many years with my trusty old 2100 that I can wait a little more :)
Toril S

Offline EileenL

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »
I would think it will be a very similar size to the tyros range.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2017, 01:04:45 PM »
Eileen: That is what I think as well. Not long now :) September is here before we know it. I will wait untill then before i buy. I have had my keyboard for 14 years, so I can wait a couple of months longer :)
Toril S

Offline EileenL

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2017, 01:34:06 PM »
Also the name Genos may be nothing to do with the next launch. Its anybody's guess