Author Topic: Is there any "melodica" midi controller ? IŽd love to play trumpet !  (Read 1358 times)

Offline dihelson

Interesting as at even this point of technology, looks like industry didnŽt invented a breath controller for us keyboardists to play live, on stage some instruments like sax, trumpet, clarinet... it would be amazing if the guys invented kind of a midi "melodica" that we could attach to a module or a keyboard like Tyros 5 and play those wonderful sounds with articulation for an audience...

This guy invented by himself this kind of thing, but itŽs not commercially available yet. Watch how wonderful these 3 examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYzQbXp4w_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cn-FboGjNE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pEAf9sMb8k

Time doesnŽt matter. What matter most is how you live your little minutes. YouŽre unique amongst 7 billion people living on this planet. Live well !

Offline maartenb

This reminds me of the video of Roger Hagarty playing the Yamaha WX11 MIDI Wind Controller using the sounds of a Tyros 3 (or 4). It sounds absolutely great!

Oh, and the same Japanese gentleman as above sings the whole Queen's choir using his voice, keys and a Roland V-Synth. Amazing!

Maarten
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:28:13 PM by maartenb »

Offline Roger Brenizer

Wow, Maarten!!!!!!!  I enjoyed both of these videos; however, as you said, the second one is absolutely amazing!!!!!!!

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline dihelson

Big disadvantage of the WX11, if you want to play it, the fingering is totally different from a keyboard, more like a sax, and requires you t relearn playing a new instrument...

However midified breathcontroller like Tatsuya is using can be used in combination with almost every synth/keyboard..

Yes, learning to play a WX11 is like learning to play sax, thatŽs not what I had in mind. I wish to play something like the examples I posted on the first post, portable instrument with keyboard, breath controller, and in the format of a saxophone or something like that, to play on stage wireless, to play with my friends saxophonists and trumpetists. Interesting how nobody in the industry thought about the examples of those guys on my post. They always use breath controller connected to a keyboard, not a new instrument like a saxophone with keyboard.
Time doesnŽt matter. What matter most is how you live your little minutes. YouŽre unique amongst 7 billion people living on this planet. Live well !

Offline maartenb

Big disadvantage of the WX11, if you want to play it, the fingering is totally different from a keyboard, more like a sax, and requires you t relearn playing a new instrument...

Besides a "sax mode" the WX11 also has a "recorder mode". A recorder has a simple fingering, which I learned at school when I was 7 years old. I assume more people on this forum can play a recorder.

The only reason I never tried a WX11 or WX5 in combination with the Tyros is the relatively high price. The expression for wind instruments is great, however. Fortunately, expression can also be obtained with the FC7 pedal.

Maarten

Offline Joe H

I use a Yamaha BC2 for the Volume, and a foot controller algorithm for real-time control of most of the proprietary VL parameters.

Foot pedal (my super pedal) is operated with the left foot (Peavey PC1600x) and sends limited pre-programmed high and low limits of Resonance, Filter Cutoff, LFO rate, Attack Rate, Aftertouch, and Release Rate.  Channel Aftertouch is used to vary several VL parameters.

A Foot switch operated with the right foot sends Vibrato (adjustable via a fader at will
Pitch Bend Wheel adjusts both Pitch and Throat Formant.

This setup requires good coordination of both hands and both feet, plus blowing into the Breath Controller, but the results are fabulous by being able to adjust so many parameters at once that brings me a little closer to creating many of the nuances of the real acoustic horns and flutes.

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 07:51:34 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline DonM

Some years ago I tried to buy a Yamaha EZ TP digital trumpet, but at the time couldn't find one in the U.S.  They will address both GM and SG voices. 
Back then they were about $200. but have gone up.  I saw one on Amazon for $500 or so.
The REAL deal is the Morrison Digital Trumpet.  It's way better but MUCH more expensive.
I'm an ex-trumpet player and because of injuries to teeth can't blow anymore, but I think one would be a wonderful gimmick to accompany an arranger show.
The fingering is the same as a real trumpet, but you just hum instead of blow.
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-EZ-TP-MIDI-Trumpet/dp/B000E5YP0M