Author Topic: Hello all!  (Read 591 times)

Offline Tony-Psrs670

Hello all!
« on: July 05, 2017, 09:14:54 AM »
Hi Guys

I'm Tony. New to this forum, new to Yamaha products. (Apart from my wife's old 121 digital piano).

I'm a freelance music tutor (guitar + keyboard/piano + music theory/history) in bonnie Scotland. I've worked for the same 2 organisations for many years, and also do home lessons. I finally bought a psr-s670 after several months of looking at it and salivating on youtube. It was kind of a present to myself for making it through a tough final term and getting to the summer hols only mildly frazzled!

Over the years I've dabbled in midi and digital DAW type stuff, mainly through programmes like Band in a Box and Cubase, but I'm not very tech savvy. I've tended to play with these programmes a bit when I've got leisure time during the holidays. I then proceed to leave them alone for most of the rest of the year and forget almost everything I learned the previous summer! In fact the attraction of the 670 was its immediacy - great voices, great backing styles all at the touch of a few buttons. But I know there's a lot more that can be done with it than that.

My main interests are in building on my rather basic jazz piano skills, and in learning more about arrangement and orchestration. I'd also like to use the keyboard to showcase to some of my students the possibilities of computer/digital based music making. I have a few specific topics I'd be interested in learning more about. If anyone can help with these that'd be fabulous.

1) I've had tonnes of midi files on my computer for years. A lot of them are very good but not, obviously, optimised for the 670. I downloaded the MidiPlayer program as I think this is what it does? It asks you to choose your keyboard or, as the 670 isn't listed, the 'nearest' from the list. Can anyone tell me what this would be? Also, as these are files not necessarily generated from yamaha arrangers, should I set VOICE to GM?

2) Is there a way to look at the score of the 670 style files on my computer - including intros and endings? I guess this would mean converting them to midi so I can look at the arrangements in Sibelius. Some of them are great and I'd like to see how they're put together, learn some of the piano/guitar parts etc.

I'm sure I'll have loads more questions, but I don't want my first post to be War & Peace length so I'll leave it there.

I intend to purchase some of the products on this site in coming months, but seeing as I just spent 500 quid on the keyboard I'm slightly broke at the moment - but happy!

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Cheers

Tony

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: Hello all!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 10:54:25 AM »
Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your background.  You have a marvelous history associated with music.  I'm sure you're going to learn a great deal about your PSR-S670 keyboard here on the forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing it.

Due to time constraints, I will only comment on one subject you mentioned, which is the conversion of a style file to a midi file.  In fact, a style file is a midi file.  Just change the extension *.sty to *.mid.  Don't forget to change the file extension back to *.sty when you are through listening to and investigating the file contents.  Otherwise, the file won't be usable in your keyboard as a style file.  Hopefully Michael Bedesem will comment here and help you with some of your other questions.

You'll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.  This link will take you to the Home page of the website: http://psrtutorial.com/

I know you've just experienced a large expenditure on your PSR-S670; however, when you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.  You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the websites resources, which can be found at the following link:
http://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

We're so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  There are many members here who are always willing and eager to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline Tony-Psrs670

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 03:11:46 PM »
Hi Roger

Thanks for the warm welcome, the links and the info on style files! That's very interesting, the fact that they are actually midi files makes sense I suppose. I assume they are sequenced in an unusual way according to the protocols of the psr style control section. Can't wait to have a look!

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 03:41:51 AM »
If you want to see the score for a style, then just do a 'quick record' for a few bars. Go through all the A-D variations and any intros/endings if you want. This will create a multi-track MIDI file that you can look at on anything you want - including the inbuilt score display. (You can select any 2 tracks to display).

The style defaults to recording on tracks 9-16. See the reference manual for what goes where, in summary:

9   Rhythm 1
10 Rhythm 2
11 Bass
12 Chord 1
13 Chord 2
14 Pad
15 Phrase 1
16 Phrase 2
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 03:44:05 AM by DerekA »
S770

Offline Tony-Psrs670

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 07:43:31 AM »
Thanks for that Derek

That sounds like as great idea.  I had a look at a couple of style files in Sibelius last night by just changing the extension to .mid. That was readable, but the layout takes a bit of getting used to. The recording method should generate something more like a linear song which makes a bit more immediate musical sense!

Still learning about stuff like using the score display on the 670.

Offline MBedesem

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 10:55:53 AM »
Tony:

A style has 16 channels, but the instrument's style player only allows 9 channels (9-16). The channel that plays is determined by an allowed chord specified in the Casm section of the style.  See the attached screen from the CasmView of MixMaster. 

The notes that are played by a style are determined by the Note Transposition Rule (NTR) setting in the Casm. If NTR is “Guitar” the following apply. In contrast to other NTRs there is no harmonic relation between source and target notes. Each source note is mapped to one of the guitar strings. The pitch or harmonic function will be irrelevant. The mapping of source notes to guitar strings is as follows:

B -> 1st string (high E)
A -> 2nd string (B)
G -> 3rd string (G)
F -> 4th string (D)
E -> 5th string (A)
D -> 6th string (low E)
C# -> a quint above/below
C -> root note

If the NTR is not guitar, then the notes are the untransposed notes that will play.

For more info on the CASM, see Style Files Description at http://www.wierzba.homepage.t-online.de/stylefiles.htm

As Derek point out, recording the style is the easiest way to see/hear what it can create. Just be aware that the patterns can be different based upon your chords and the style NTR settings. 

Regarding revoicing, MixMaster does support the 970. Just select it as your instrument and use the Auto Revoice All in the Voices View, or the Revoice option in MultiProcess View for single or multiple files. 

Regards,

Michael
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 11:01:18 AM by MBedesem »
Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

Offline Tony-Psrs670

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 07:37:15 AM »
Hi Michael

Thank you so much for taking the time to delineate the inner workings of the style files. As I said in my initial post, I'm not particularly tech savvy but i can work things out given the right information and a theoretically infinite amount of time!

I've downloaded your excellent MixMaster and had a quick look at it in action with a standard GM midi file. Selecting Auto Revoice All converted all instruments to XG, which made it sound pretty good on the 670. Just wondering if there's a way to make Auto Revoice All use some of the pro and live voices contained in the 670? I see there is a manual way of doing this using the drop down menu. If you have time could you possibly elaborate on this function for a novice?

Thanks

Tony

Offline MBedesem

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 11:39:22 AM »
Tony:

The MidiPlayer and MixMaster use extensive tables to try and assign reasonable voice matches. Generally it does not do anything exciting with GM and XG because there are always close matches.   

Im MixMaster, if you have loaded a style file and want to audition other voices, you can select the style section (e.g Main C) and then audition a particular voice alone using the Mixer View voice play button (bottom of each channel panel with a note symbol in the the middle). You can change just that channels voice by clicking on the voice display box at the bottom of the screen and select the voice then select (or search for ) a voice and depress select item.

You can also the audition the entire section by depressing The Play From To. As I mentioned above, the channels 1-8 are used in a style as replacement for 9-16 channels based upon the chord played. To prevent these from playing at the same time, mute these channels using the Mute buttons in the Mixer View.   

The voice list display in MixMaster is a bit crowded and difficult to quick scan. Sometimes it is easier to have the Voice List section of the data manual available on screen. The 970 data manual is psrs970_en_dl_b0.pdf and available from here:  http://download.yamaha.com/

There are some issues that you need to be aware of: Mega Voices consist of the basic voice and notes above that provide effects. If replaced with a standard voice, you will hear clicks or funny sounds as the effect trigger higher pitch notes that will not sound well. Revoicing using MidiPlayer eliminates these notes as part of the revoicing; MixMaster does not.

The another frequently used alternative is to revoice on the instrumnt itself. Or if you want to revoice midis using some favorite voices, PSRUTI (http://psrtutorial.com/util/plate.html ) has a batch mode and Voicefile Revoiceing. Worth a look.

Regards,

Michael
Michael P. Bedesem
mpb@vermontel.net
http://psrtutorial.com/MB/bedesem.html
Tyros 5

Offline Tony-Psrs670

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2017, 10:40:22 AM »
Thanks again Michael

Busy weekend so haven't had much time to try things yet, but appreciate you giving me the lay of the land.

Cheers

Tony