Author Topic: Does the paint wear off  (Read 1613 times)

Offline adrianed

Does the paint wear off
« on: July 01, 2017, 11:20:23 PM »
Hi Folks,

My old keyboard is a tyros 2 which I practised on for about three years, Just at home.

I have the habit of resting the heel of my wrist on the keyboard when I press the buttons and on the T2 I wore off the grey colour in a few places

I was surprised at this because I didn't think the keyboard surface would be painted over a different colour base ( Ok still grey )

The T2 was still an expensive keyboard and you don't expect them to just paint over a different base material

So the question is ( at last you might think ) Is the T5 the same

I purchased it a couple of years ago and worry could it be the same

Has any other players of the T5 worn the colour off the keyboard top

Adrian
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:24:21 PM by adrianed »

Offline Dick Rector

Re: Does the paint wear off
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 12:45:00 AM »
Not on a T5 but my old PSR2000 had some bold spots. I was able to repair it with a silver car-spray-paint and some little brushes. You wouldn't believe the plastic underneath is dark!
PSR-2000 and PSR-S950

Offline adrianed

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 04:30:21 PM »
Thankyou for the reply Dick,

That's relief

Shocking cheapskates I thought at the time just colouring over a different base material that lasted no more than 3 years

It would have helped if they had put a warning in the box, they obviously wanted to keep quiet about it to cheat us.

Adrian

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 11:23:46 PM »
The Tyros is actually made of black plastic, which is painted grey, and yes, it wears off...  My T5 is a little over 1 year old, and already has scratch marks and is wearing off at some places. Ok, it gets packed in a travel case to/from rehearsals/gigs at least once a week, but still. My 18 years old PSR-620 didn't have that problem. So this will be my first and probably last non-black keyboard.
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76

Offline adrianed

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 03:41:14 PM »
Thankyou Robert,

Its just not good enough is it Robert

When we pay for expensive things we expect to get what we see, its like buying a second hand car from a shonky dealer who repaints a car to hide the old paint and damage

Adrian

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 07:04:47 AM »
I did have problems with my Tyros 2 paint work but the cover was replaced by Yamaha for me. That is going back a few years now. Have had my Tyros 5 since launch and it is used everyday and taken to my meetings where members also play it. Also take it out for shows and it is still as good as new.

Offline tyrosrick

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 07:09:30 AM »
 :) Ya' but have you run it through a car wash yet? Those buffing wheels sure do a number on the decals!!
Current Gear: Tyros 5 76 key, and a whole lot of ambition.
Past Gear: Motif XF6, and a whole lot of frustration.
and.....Magnus Chord Organ (when I was 10!)

Offline adrianed

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 09:44:41 PM »
Hi tyrosrick,

Nice to see your bit of humour, we do get a bit serious sometimes to protect ourselves from the cruel world.

Adrian   
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:06:59 AM by adrianed »

Offline adrianed

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 10:31:00 PM »
Hi Eileen,

I was wondering if you would respond to my simplistic heading title because I know you like your Yamaha keyboards and of course I also like my T2 and T5

I was just surprised and disappointed when the colour of the keyboard top changed in the places that I rested my hand when I was pressing the buttons, I tried to wash it off I thought it was dirt from my sweaty hands until I realised that I had worn off the top layer

I can understand the print wearing off a bit if I have long nails or use the keyboard as a professional using it for work everyday

We are talking about us spending thousands of pounds for a quality instrument.

I just hope I have presented a case for improvement

Also thankyou for telling me that my T5 will not go the same way.

Adrian     
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 03:08:09 AM by adrianed »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 02:29:01 PM »
Too bad! Such high end instruments should be better built than that. Why on earth are they painting a thin layer of silver on a black base. Not good! I see only one good thing , and that is that people are using their instruments so much that it shows! How tragic would it not have been if they just stood in a corner collecting dust! I have a silver keyboard, and if the 2000 was black underneath, so is probably mine. I do not dare to look for black spots. If I find them I will be sad because the keyboard has a cosmetic issue. If I don`t`find them, I will question myself as a musician, having used it so little :) The 970 is black, and I originally thought it looked to sinister. But hearing this, I think it is a good thing. Unless, of course, that they painted it blank, and it is silver underneath. One never knows. We pay much for thees boards, so this is not good!
Toril S

Offline Marcus

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 07:07:24 PM »
Frank has protective stickers made up for the Tyros 5. Not sure if still available. See thread link.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,35284.msg265855.html#msg265855

Marcus
Gear: Triangle

Offline EileenL

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 04:03:52 AM »
The acid in your skin can bring off paint. Some people have more than others. The plastic under the paint is usually a whitish colour.
  I have the 970 and it is not pure black rather a very dark grey. Must admit I prefer the colour of my Tyros 5.

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 04:20:34 AM »
Many guitarists take pride in their instruments if it has the finish worn off. The worn look is called 'relic'd' and some diehards will purposely will 'refinish' their guitars for this aged vintage look. You can even buy a 'new' Fender with an old look, but they don't come cheap... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/relic-guitars

Take pride in the wear and tear on your keyboard. It's a sign that you really enjoy playing it!!! :)

Offline Pauljones

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 09:41:37 AM »
Hi Adrian,

I had my T5 from day one.  My keys are worn off.  At present I am using sticky labels to cover the keys. Very disappointing for a so call "top end" item.

Offline Marcus

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 05:33:59 PM »
Hi Adrian,

I had my T5 from day one.  My keys are worn off.  At present I am using sticky labels to cover the keys. Very disappointing for a so call "top end" item.

Hi Pauljones
There is no reason for your Tyros 5 keys to wear down. You probably got a rare defective batch of keys installed on your Tyros 5. This is not normal and is certainly not acceptable of a "top end" Yamaha product.

Check out the following thread:
Topic: Chipping Marks on tyros 5 Keys ?
http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,36828.msg280080.html#msg280080 

I would contact your local Yamaha dealer you bought your Tyros 5 from or contact Yamaha directly. I would hope Yamaha would replace your defective keys at no charge, as similar circumstances are described from the above linked topic.

Good Luck,
Marcus
Gear: Triangle

Offline adrianed

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 07:52:07 PM »
Hi Folks,

I didn't get the notes in my email notifying me of some of the replies to my post so I am late responding to the last few, including Marcus, Pauljones  Toril S and Eileen.

My T2 has a darker grey base colour under the top layer colour

It is just where I rested my hand on the left hand side when I was just tapping the keys with my right hand when sounding out a tune before playing during practise

It Also is showing the base colour near the volume control

No problem with the keys

I was surprised and disappointed because I didn't expect it to happen, I am mainly a home player so the keyboard has had the most delicate handling.

I thought it was a professional instrument so playing at home should have kept it pristine, no children in the house just little old me in my seventies and my wife who has never pressed a button

I was careful with it because I have seen keyboards with some print worn off so I didn't want this to happen. money as well as pride are involved

I am not a complaining  type.

I only posted this message originally because I was trying to find out if my T5 was going to be the same by asking T5 owners how their instruments were standing up to wear

Has users of other brands of keyboard had the base colour wear off with moderate or minimal use  ??

Its worth asking isn't it folks, we all have an interest

Adrian
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:56:44 PM by adrianed »

Online Roger Brenizer

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 08:50:24 PM »
I just checked your Profile Notification Settings, Adrian, and it would appear you should be receiving email notifications with regard to your posts.  I'm not sure why this would happen, but if it continues to happen, please let me know.  You should probably review your settings to make sure they are set properly.  :)
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

Offline adrianed

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 12:07:41 AM »
Thanks Roger,

I will keep a lookout for any more problems.

I am never surprised about computer hiccups

Adrian 

Offline Jan-Eve

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 12:20:33 AM »
Hal lo everyone! My experiance is that I allways keep my fingernails as short as I can to avoid contact with the keyboardkeys. And play with fingertops. On my old accordion, now 50 years old, there are some, what you called ware downs. But its natural after so many ours of playing.
Hope it can help other keyboardplayers.
Have a nice day from Jan - Eve.