Author Topic: If Yamaha doesn't do this I'm converting to Korg  (Read 22801 times)

Offline Marcus

Re: If Yamaha doesn't do this I'm converting to Korg
« Reply #250 on: July 19, 2017, 08:00:07 PM »
Hi Don! I`m wondering about scatvoices. Tyros have them in Multi Pads to play along with styles, but what a bout PA4X?

Regards Ingar  :-)

It would be silly to consider Korg, especially with tons of more Yamaha styles, Multipads, and expansion voices/drumkits available, plus all of Yamaha support. The Pa4x barely caught up to the Tyros 5, despite being three years newer than the Tyros 5, never mind considering the possibility of the new upcoming replacement model.

When I got my Tyros 3 years ago, there was a free Scat Pack (individual voice) library available to download. Usual Yamaha quality, in UVN or UVI format. Still sounded good on my Tyros 5 loaded through the YEM. (see photo for voice list).
Try my share link if interested.

ScatVoice_Tyros3.zip
https://app.box.com/s/g484agwie0ebj1fyaiaohkrukv4jxmc0

I also downloaded a free pack a while back, named "Free Scat Choir" in ppf format for the YEM. I believe it is a Roland sample, probably sampled from the Roland D-550. Never tried it, because I have a nice scat choir voice on my Roland VP-7 VH unit, connected to my Tyros 5, plus velocity controlled "fall" notes. Big file at 62mb, but up to you if you want to download and try.

Free Scat Choir.ppf
https://app.box.com/s/37e98ex16mnfk7ekn0s10ewwap633jgv

Marcus
Gear: Triangle

Offline Joe H

« Reply #251 on: July 19, 2017, 08:59:16 PM »
Jeff,

The discussion and speculation about the Tyros 6 / GENOS has been both interesting and entertaining.  Some have taken it all  too seriously... I have tried to lighten things up with my popcorn antics... all in good fun of coarse.

But now, all kidding aside... whether the info you have shared is 100% accurate... or NOT, it is just not that important.  We know Yamaha will be  releasing a new arranger soon and it will be a great product.  Some of us will be delighted and some of us will be disappointed.

And for the record, some people can't get satisfaction out of their Yamaha arranger no matter how good it is because they are just too lazy to learn how to use it to its full potential.

How many times have we heard there is a "bug" that Yamaha needs to fix, when the bug was really "operator error".  So many of the things we just can't do with the Yamaha arranger are due to operator lack of knowledge about how Yamaha designed the keyboard and some people find it easier to complain rather than dig in and learn something new.  For me, equal to learning how to play better, there is actually a great sense of accomplishment by learning new things about my S970.

I say these things because it is neither here nor there if Yamaha announces a new arranger next week or next year.  So relax... it's nice if you got some inside information, but if it's not 100% accurate... SO WHAT!

We want you to stick around my friend.  Life goes on.

Kind Regards,

:)

Joe H

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:11:48 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #252 on: July 20, 2017, 01:19:21 AM »
This is what Mike Mixon says about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpyxHsIjxMc&feature=youtu.be

Stijn

Mr Mixon is a keyboard salesman. His job is to sell Tyros 5 keyboards, amongst others. Of course, as far as he is concerned, there is no substance to rumours of a Tyros 5 replacement coming anytime soon. He's got five factory-boxed Tyros 5's out back which he needs to sell first!

As much as I find Mr Mixon a strangely endearing character I really don't think we can expect to hear anything different from him regarding a possible new replacement for the Tyros 5 - and the same applies all those with a vested interest in shifting the current generation of flagship Yamaha arranger keyboards. It's just not in their interest to talk about a new keyboard when they have warehouses full of current keyboards they need to get off the books.
Yamaha Tyros 5 | Roland A-800 Pro | Cubase 9 Elements | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape & Stylus RMX | Arturia Spark 2 | Yamaha APX 700II 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #253 on: July 20, 2017, 02:07:46 AM »
Hi,

There are more dealers in the world who have T5 stock and I feel very sorry for them.  :-\

We all know it is hard for them to sell this stock. The enduser is no longer interested and is waiting for the Genos. Maybe huge discounts might be necessary to get rid of this stock. Free packs will not help to decrease any dealer T5 stock, I guess.😥

In the past Yami took them back when dealers ordered the newest models.
I don't know if this policy is still applicable.

On the other hand the annual Yami dealer bonus is based on turnover.

Last but not least :
In fact Yami are waiting much too long before they announce their new models.
Again, in my perception this strategy is completely wrong.
I have said this so many times before but how many ears must one man have before he can hear people cry ? ( Bob Dylan ).

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 02:28:40 AM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #254 on: July 20, 2017, 03:40:38 AM »
In fact Yami are waiting much too long before they announce their new models.

Rock and a hard place, etc. It's a real conundrum and a commercially sensitive issue. Yamaha won't want to put their dealerships in financial trouble with unshiftable back stock of the older model, but on the other hand they have to get the marketing and PR up and running for their new baby. I can only assume that both Yamaha and their dealerships have all been here before and some kind of arrangement is being worked out prior to initial launch of whatever the Tyros 5 replacement is going to be. Perhaps that takes the form of a pre-new-keyboard-launch time-limited heavy discount of the Tyros 5 to try and clear the shelves as best as possible prior to the new arrival's arrival.

Cynically speaking, for anyone looking to pick up a heavily discounted Tyros 5, the weeks/months after the new announcement might see some fantastic T5 deals in the offing.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 03:41:57 AM by CalUKGR »
Yamaha Tyros 5 | Roland A-800 Pro | Cubase 9 Elements | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape & Stylus RMX | Arturia Spark 2 | Yamaha APX 700II 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #255 on: July 20, 2017, 04:45:53 AM »
Nowadays Yami have almost no high end arranger keyboard competition, except Korg maybe.

Yami's dealers are to follow Yami's policy very strictly.

Many of these dealers are very small family owned companies and they do not want to give up this important source of their daily income.

For how long ?
We all know small " traditional " shops have no future in the long run.

Jeff

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:14:50 AM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline pjd

« Reply #256 on: July 20, 2017, 05:42:17 AM »
Hi Jeff --

Please don't worry about speculation, etc. working out. I've made a bunch of predictions myself, and if they don't work out, I'll shrug my shoulders, learn and move on. I think all of the folks on this forum try to offer the best information that they can and I appreciate it.

With respect to selling old stock, the old Motif XF keyboards sold out pretty well after the Montage release. I will take a very careful look at Tyros 5 pricing if and when a new TOTL model is released. The Tyros 5 is a very good keyboard and it won't stop being good -- just less expensive. I would be very happy to play a T5!

All the best -- pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #257 on: July 20, 2017, 05:48:29 AM »
Speaking of scat voices, my free PPF-format scat voice is still available for download:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/scat-voices-yem-alpha/

It was inspired by the (in)famous Roland scat voice. It uses samples of my own voice in order to avoid IP issues. The ZIP file is much smaller (4MBytes).

Have fun -- pj

Music technology blog: http://sandsoftwaresound.net/

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #258 on: July 20, 2017, 06:27:27 AM »
Hi PJD,

Many thanks for your link. Very much appreciated. :)

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 06:28:32 AM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #259 on: July 20, 2017, 06:58:07 AM »
Hi Bachus,

Personally I ( also ) prefer small shops.

My dealer e.g. is a very small dealer and gives me the service I need.  Like most of these smaller dealers he has a limited stock ( 1 pc T5 and 1 pc S790 showroom ).

How long will Yami accept this ?

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 06:59:08 AM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Jeff Hollande

« Reply #260 on: July 20, 2017, 11:00:42 PM »
Hi B,

I have no idea.
Time will tell.

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Chandeneze

« Reply #261 on: July 30, 2017, 10:28:28 PM »
I agree. knobs work the best. Why have a huge KB with now knobs and I hate the dial. Yamaha should give us a kb that is standard without spending an arm and a leg for extra ram and expansion. More buttons with styles and all the styles they have since PSR 9000 up to Tyros 5  I also hope we will have a complete new set of styles. I am really board with the styles that is the same as the PSR 9000. It is just a repeat with a extra voice here and there.
If the new T6 or genos is just a half a KB again I am going for Korg
Korg organ sound is outstanding and so are all the voices. If you have not tried the PAX4 do your self a favour and go and play one you will be over the moon.

Come on Yamaha come back with a boom at a price affordable for the man on the street. Seems like Yamaha and Wersi have a competition to see who can make the most expensive instrument. Only for the rich and the famous.

Greetings

Chandeneze

« Reply #262 on: July 30, 2017, 11:13:50 PM »
I have owned a Tyros 2, Tyros 3 and now the Tyros 5. I don't play gigs so I just use it for my own pleasure and the odd get together with friends.

A while ago I became interested in doing cover songs and making videos out of them and putting them on my YouTube channel. That's when I became a bit dissatisfied with the vocal harmony on the T5. I thought about getting a Korg PA4X, with it's inbuilt TC Helicon vocal harmony. TC Helicon are probably the leaders in vocal processors in the world.

I found out that TC Helicon have a VH add-on for any keyboard, called the Perform VK (the "K" meaning keyboard). I bought one of these units and I have only had it for a week now. I can say that it is fantastic.

So, for me,  there is no need to even think about getting a new keyboard.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:00:06 PM by RichardL »

Offline willem7397

« Reply #263 on: July 31, 2017, 11:50:38 AM »
Interesting to read your positive  experience with the TC Helicon VK unit. I just ordered one from my favorite webshop. I have been trying for a long time to get good results with the T5 vh but it's difficult. My daughther call's it the chipmunk machine:(

Did you connect the unit via midi? Did it worked out of the box or do you have to make separate midi settings on T5?

« Reply #264 on: July 31, 2017, 12:18:00 PM »
The simplest way is to use the Inst In LR connectors, add your mic and output to to your mixer.

I have tried using midi and it works as well but I have not played much with that.

Another method is to connect the keyboard to the AUX In on the VK.

EDIT: Please take the TC Helicon advice and download and install the USB driver and Support2 software to your computer.

With Support2 you will get automatic firmware updates and any new patches for your VK.

The USB driver will allow you to record into a DAW. I use Audacity.

Still early days for me but I will post some results soon.

Regards,
Richard
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 12:27:16 PM by RichardL »

Offline billtracy

« Reply #265 on: July 31, 2017, 01:39:41 PM »
RichardL,

So, you run the keyboard thru INST-IN and output to the PA. Is the output then a combination of the VK and the keyboard or just the VK? In other words, do you have to run a separate keyboard out to the PA?

Thanks
Current Gear: Roland E-A7, KRK Rokit 5s, Voicelive Play.
Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740, Yamaha PSR-1100, Yamaha PSR-S750, Roland BK-3.

Offline Al Ram

« Reply #266 on: July 31, 2017, 07:29:38 PM »
Richard
I found out that TC Helicon have a VH add-on for any keyboard, called the Perform VK (the "K" meaning keyboard). I bought one of these units and I have only had it for a week now. I can say that it is fantastic.

So, for me,  there is no need to even think about getting a new keyboard.
Last Edit: Today at 12:00:06 PM by RichardL

This is quite interesting.

So, how do you use this TC Helicon VH ?  meaning,  how do you bring it up for each song you are playing . . . . ?  I assume that you can have different VH setups for different songs.   Can you set it up in the keyboard registrations . . .  and then recall the specific song setup with it's own keyboard registration . . .  ?   

thanks in advance.

AL
San Diego/Tijuana

« Reply #267 on: July 31, 2017, 08:18:35 PM »
Hi all,
Let me answer as best I can.

@BillTracy: The output to PA is a anything that is input into the VK unit. So the Kbd and vocals go to the PA or a computer for recording etc. You can even input a backing track via the AUX input on the VK and it will use that to track the chords for your harmony and output that to the PA.

@Al Ram: The VK has its own presets (3) to store combinations of effects. In addition, with the VoiceSupport2 software for your computer or laptop you can back up the contents of the VK with a name. So, if I am doing a song I set up my keyboard and copy the settings in the registration memory. I also set up the VK effects in it's presets and back that up to the Support2 software. When I do the song, I call up the registration in the T5 and the presets for the VK from my computer and I am ready to do the song.

I have also just read that the presets correspond to Program Change Bank 0/125/126/127 commands. So, if there is a way to send those commands from the kbd and save that in a registration, then that would be great. I don't know how we might do this. Maybe someone else knows. In fact I am sure someone will know. The knowledge depth in this forum continues to amaze me.

Having said all that, There is so much packed into the VK that I am still experimenting and have not actually done any songs yet. But I am getting close.

Here's a pic of the front of the unit. As I said I am greatly impressed and here's a video that explains it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO2UfDZ2vJk
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 09:24:10 PM by RichardL »

The following users thanked this post: billtracy

Offline mikf

« Reply #268 on: August 01, 2017, 12:35:55 AM »
Reading this I can't understand how the TC is getting its chord information to calculate the correct harmony?
Mike

« Reply #269 on: August 01, 2017, 12:58:07 AM »
From what I gather it does not use chord information but actually "hears" what you are playing and works out the notes from that.

I am going to finish the song I am working on tonight and I will post the link so you folks can hear what it can do.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 01:00:29 AM by RichardL »

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #270 on: August 01, 2017, 04:30:23 AM »
The simplest way is to use the Inst In LR connectors, add your mic and output to to your mixer.

I have tried using midi and it works as well but I have not played much with that.

Another method is to connect the keyboard to the AUX In on the VK.

EDIT: Please take the TC Helicon advice and download and install the USB driver and Support2 software to your computer.

With Support2 you will get automatic firmware updates and any new patches for your VK.

The USB driver will allow you to record into a DAW. I use Audacity.

Still early days for me but I will post some results soon.

Regards,
Richard

Very interesting. I looked at the Helicon VK a while back and found it intriguing, but I wasn't prepared to take the financial risk. I also consider the T5's VH-2 function close to useless. I'm not a great singer - can the Helicon VK help me, first and foremost, with my singing? Secondly, does it produce a useable result? Is it worth the financial outlay for someone like me who just wants to be able to sing (in tune) to my compositions?

« Reply #271 on: August 01, 2017, 04:41:07 AM »
Ok Here's a song for folks to listen to. It's a bit rough, especially getting the fills at the right places but it will give you an idea of how the VK performs.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9e4Gs94wXEfOW5vT2h5RlNjR3M/view?usp=sharing

Offline willem7397

« Reply #272 on: August 01, 2017, 04:52:35 AM »
Indeed that's how I read it in the product description.
It can "listen" to audio signals from different sources, e.g. audio in L/R, aux and even via a build-in microphone.
Still there must be an algorithm that determines chord information from the audio signal and it will never be 100% correct.
If you connect via midi however you get correct harmony based on the chord input.

@ Bachus;
I know personally about 50 people with a Tyros, just hobby players like myself and most of us here. About 50% of them have at least tried once to sing using VH. Not because they are professional singers but because it's fun to do. Unfortunately most of the standard VH settings don't work well so people get disappointed with it and give up.
The VH editing options on Tyros are excellent, you can adjust almost every VH parameter but the manual is limited and it's not so easy to get it right. So to my opinion Yamaha just have to improve VH quality and provide better and more presets differentiating to male/female and different voice types.

I have actually purchased a VH registration bank from Soundwonderland.de. They offer many registrations for Tyros VH and the quality is absolutely better than the build-in settings. They also give good instructions how to determine your voice type and vocal range.
However if you want the whole package for male/female voices it's a lot of money. Almost approaching the price of the TC Helicon VK unit.
Note that this unit is not very expensive (in Holland I paid about 220EUR for a B-stock unit, taking advantage of a summer sale)

If you compare 220 EUR to the total price of a Tyros/Genos it's nothing :), so I don't think Yamaha would save a lot of money leaving it out nor should it cost a lot of money to improve.

Offline willem7397

« Reply #273 on: August 01, 2017, 05:07:31 AM »
Very interesting. I looked at the Helicon VK a while back and found it intriguing, but I wasn't prepared to take the financial risk. I also consider the T5's VH-2 function close to useless. I'm not a great singer - can the Helicon VK help me, first and foremost, with my singing? Secondly, does it produce a useable result? Is it worth the financial outlay for someone like me who just wants to be able to sing (in tune) to my compositions?

I'm not a good singer either. Tyros VH and also the TC Helicon VK unit have pitch correction so if you are singing slightly out of tune it should be corrected.
With VH it's important that you sing at a steady volume and pitch. It's something you have to learn by doing.

I was also a bit reluctant to spent the money, I have a 60 days try/return policy so if the unit is no improvement compared to Tyros VH I will return it

« Reply #274 on: August 01, 2017, 05:16:45 AM »
I watched every video I could find on the VK, and there are several, then I just went ahead and bought it. I am not disappointed at all. Listen to the song. The harmony is subtle but clear, one voice above and one below and the verses with no harmony just reverb and the built-in tone module.

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #275 on: August 01, 2017, 06:47:06 AM »
I watched every video I could find on the VK, and there are several, then I just went ahead and bought it. I am not disappointed at all. Listen to the song. The harmony is subtle but clear, one voice above and one below and the verses with no harmony just reverb and the built-in tone module.

Richard, thanks for posting that song. I had a good listen to it and - yes - it sounds impressive, but I can't determine if you're a naturally good singer or the HVK is pitch correcting you. Perhaps that's a compliment to you, but it makes it very hard for me (a bad singer) to know how useful the VK would actually be. It's enticing...that's for sure.

« Reply #276 on: August 01, 2017, 04:29:45 PM »
The VK does have pitch correction but it's only a gentle "nudge" to the nearest semitone. I say go for it, you will not be disappointed.

I will start another thread asking who is using TC Helicon products.  I think there are quite a few already.

PS: I will also finish this song soon. Still some work to be done there.

« Reply #277 on: August 01, 2017, 08:43:19 PM »
The following thread is where I I have a discussion going for the Perform VK specifically.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,39041.0.html

Offline Ingar

« Reply #278 on: August 14, 2017, 08:14:44 AM »
A number of folks have switched to Korg...me included.  I still have an S970 but it's in its case in storage.
What do you do with registrations since they don't work with Korg. Start with Blanche sheets again?
Best regard Ingar