Author Topic: If Yamaha doesn't do this I'm converting to Korg  (Read 22812 times)

Online chony

Re: If Yamaha doesn't do this I'm converting to Korg
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2017, 08:22:27 PM »
I just have a feeling, although most of my hopes and dreams with Yamaha are dashed when each new Tyros is released, but I still just have a feeling, that Korg had some inside information on something amazing coming from Yamaha in the EDM area and rushed to release their OS2 - which is basically the kind of upgrade that comes with a new physical model - going so far as to give it out for Free (!!!), because they had to pre-empt Yamaha.

(How's that for a long sentence)

I hope its true. Yamaha needs a revolution. I really don't want more styles or sounds even for free. No use at all. Any sound or style that Yamaha hasn't done properly yet (especially, and inexplicably, drums), have already been programmed/sampled expertly and offered in YEM by others.

Offline dihelson

« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2017, 11:07:05 PM »

Using an internal usb cable to connect a hard drive instead of a dedicated SATA interface is almost like using scotch tape to fix things, or using nails to hold the keys.  :D
Time doesn´t matter. What matter most is how you live your little minutes. You´re unique amongst 7 billion people living on this planet. Live well !

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #152 on: July 13, 2017, 11:20:19 PM »
Hi Lee :

I am absolutely not an insider just like most of us, I guess.  ;)
I am depending on reliable sources. :P

Wished I could buy me a Genos but I am very happy and pleased DAWS, like Sonar Platinum e.g., and my digital Yami mixer are helping me out to improve and/or change the sound quality considerably.

Like other members are requesting, I may hope the Genos will come with a DAW ( made by Steinberg ? )  but it is too late for hopes and dreams.
The new baby is on its way to the enduser.
Maybe the DAW will come later and will finally replace XGW. Wishful thinking ?

But as I said before the Genos might become the most spectacular arranger keyboard for the next coming years, I hope.  ::)

Cross my fingers, Jeff, The Hopeful
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:52:43 PM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2017, 05:00:24 AM »
This is how I would like the next Tyros (or Genos or whatever it's called) to look...

Just a little something I whipped up in a few spare moments... let's leave the silver behind and go for something a little more smokey gunmetal blue...
Yamaha Tyros 5 | Roland A-800 Pro | Cubase 9 Elements | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape & Stylus RMX | Arturia Spark 2 | Yamaha APX 700II 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Offline dihelson

« Reply #154 on: July 14, 2017, 06:55:28 AM »
This is how I would like the next Tyros (or Genos or whatever it's called) to look...

Just a little something I whipped up in a few spare moments... let's leave the silver behind and go for something a little more smokey gunmetal blue...

I really wish next Genos would be black, metal, not plastic, like my old Yamaha DX7, to last a whole life.
Time doesn´t matter. What matter most is how you live your little minutes. You´re unique amongst 7 billion people living on this planet. Live well !

The following users thanked this post: Leading Edge

« Reply #155 on: July 14, 2017, 07:25:18 AM »
Metal is good until you need to pick the darn thing up and carry it to gigs!

My final shopping list:
  • Semi-weighted keybed
  • 76 keys
  • Less than 40 pounds
  • Several decent pianos for a change
  • New style technology
  • Dedicated style and song DAW
  • No expansion modules required at extra cost
  • Ability to free up memory by deleting voices I never use like bagpipes, banjo, sitar, and most of the synth stuff. Downloadable free voices from the Yamaha website would replace the never used voices. (Nord does this. It's a wonderful business model. Far better than having you buy an expensive keyboard, and then telling you that if you want some "really cool extra stuff," you need to pay more!)
  • Ability to edit the audio rhythms

If they do all these things, I'll trade my T5 and Nord 5D, in a heartbeat. The pianos, EPs, and B3 organs must be as good as those on my Nord. At the moment, the T5 isn't even in the same decade for those sounds. (Actually, the EPs and some organs are pretty good :).)
Current Gear: Tyros 5, Nord Electro 5D, SoundCraft mixer, two Bose L1 Compact speakers, 15 inch subwoofer designed and built by myself, Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, Cubase 8 Artist, Steinberg UR-44 sound interface.

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #156 on: July 14, 2017, 07:40:55 AM »
Joe, it's "any more,"

I thought it was "That's all I can stands! I can't stands no more!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h97kbv4mbsc
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline DonM

« Reply #157 on: July 14, 2017, 08:01:31 AM »
Korg PA4X is metal and weighs only marginally more than a PSR, at least the 61-key model does.  Metal doesn't have to be heavy any more.

Online chony

« Reply #158 on: July 14, 2017, 10:08:26 AM »
This is a list I wrote up on SynthZone a few months ago of what Yamaha needs to do for me to stay loyal.  And I've been loyal or 20 years.  I believe that Korg with their recent release now offers most of these features.

- audio time stretching in multi pads
- arpegiators
- DJ FX and transitions
- Synth engine with filters to allow for EDM creation
- Drum mixer with volume, bleed, pan, compression and fx control
- while we are at it some decent acoustic and electronic drum kits
- DMX integration (for light shows)
- Real multiband audio EQ on every channel
- Real compression on every channel
- Decent mastering effects (like Waves L2)
- phantom Mic and upgraded Mic handling
- professional style editing features
- ability to program SA voices and voice algorithms

I could go on forever. There is so much room for revolution.

« Reply #159 on: July 14, 2017, 11:22:40 AM »
Agreed, Bachus. Power transformers for converting 110 Volts AC to 12 Volts DC tend to be heavy. Lots of other stuff too!
Current Gear: Tyros 5, Nord Electro 5D, SoundCraft mixer, two Bose L1 Compact speakers, 15 inch subwoofer designed and built by myself, Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, Cubase 8 Artist, Steinberg UR-44 sound interface.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #160 on: July 14, 2017, 11:24:46 AM »
This is a list I wrote up on SynthZone a few months ago of what Yamaha needs to do for me to stay loyal.  And I've been loyal or 20 years.  I believe that Korg with their recent release now offers most of these features.

- audio time stretching in multi pads
- arpegiators
- DJ FX and transitions
- Synth engine with filters to allow for EDM creation
- Drum mixer with volume, bleed, pan, compression and fx control
- while we are at it some decent acoustic and electronic drum kits
- DMX integration (for light shows)
- Real multiband audio EQ on every channel
- Real compression on every channel
- Decent mastering effects (like Waves L2)
- phantom Mic and upgraded Mic handling
- professional style editing features
- ability to program SA voices and voice algorithms

I could go on forever. There is so much room for revolution.

Most likely what we will see are the following.

Touch screen
More real-time hardware controls
3 - band EQ per Style channel including frequency select and range (plus/minus)
More arpeggios including sidechain, gate and filter sweeps for right-hand Voices
2 Insert DSPs per channel / style Part (16 Insert DSPs) including side chain and filter sweeps
A new feature on registrations allowing timed transitions / morphs for styles and/or Multi Pads and possibly DSP morphing  (Scenes)
Arranger/Cubase Integration with Audio and MIDI via USB MIDI cable
New EDM Voices, styles and Multi Pads
Expanded audio style format   :'(
New Apps for those who have Apple devices

Arranger/Cubase Integration  might also mean... (finally) a style / Multi Pad editor

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 11:34:49 AM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #161 on: July 14, 2017, 12:09:20 PM »
Hi Joe,

Nobody is happy with the present audio styles or ... am I wrong ?
Wished they will add a nice new midi styles collection instead.  :)

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Marcus

« Reply #162 on: July 14, 2017, 12:30:02 PM »
Hi Joe,

Nobody is happy with the present audio styles or ... am I wrong ?
Wished they will add a nice new midi styles collection instead.  :)

Jeff
I really like the Tyros 5 audio styles and the 2 Audio Style expansion packs I purchased. I made about 75 hybrid audio styles which I store on the User drive from Style Creator. Wish I can save them also to the Hard drive or USB drive, so I can share them with my second Tyros 5 without having to reproduce the modified Audio save again.

Sure, Yamaha can certainly continue down this route of development, but of course continue with better MIDI styles/drum kits or even new style/Multipad innovations and user editing.

Marcus
Gear: Triangle

Offline DonM

« Reply #163 on: July 14, 2017, 12:56:51 PM »
Maybe they will make full audio styles, as Ketron has had for years, instead of just audio drums.
However, that opens up a BIG bag of worms and expense as EVERY style part must be sampled from live performances.
The audio drums on most of the Yamaha styles are great, but they make the midi drums sound not so good in comparison.  I personally would prefer they just finally use some great midi drums.  They already have them on synths!
DonM

Offline Joe H

« Reply #164 on: July 14, 2017, 01:15:56 PM »
Jeff,

I personally don't like audio styles.  There is a sonic mismatch between the audio and MIDI and it is far more difficult edit any audio.  I'd rather use the new Live Drum Kit than audio drums. With all the on-board memory of the new GENOS, higher quality velocity switching 8 layer (8 Element) sampled MIDI Voices are possible.  And more SA2 Voices would be far better anyway.  How about some SA2 drum / percussion sounds that respond according to your playing.  That would create drum variations some folks around here want.

Why Yamaha would go down the audio style path is beyond me.  They already own Cubase which is a DAW where you can drag and drop WAV samples all day long.  If you like audio... do it there.   If Yamaha want to mimic the Audya, they should build a stand-alone audio arranger to compete with Audya.

Audio styles are a waste of time and money... in my VERY humble opinion.   ;D

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 01:22:49 PM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #165 on: July 14, 2017, 05:15:35 PM »
Joe, I couldn't agree more. The audio styles are a dismal failure for live performance. If I play seven songs using the MIDI drum kits (for example), and then open an audio style registration, all hell breaks loose!! All of a sudden, the kick drum is POUNDING through my sub, the snare is very quite, and the entire drum kit needs fixing on the fly, which is impossible. There's no editing of the audio styles. The premise behind audio styles is realism, not drastically variable instrument levels that are non-adjustable!!

Let's face it folks, the next Tyros (or whatever Yamaha calls it, and "Genos" is only speculation so far), needs to be released in two forms: home use and gigging use. If Yamaha adds all the "stuff" that their earlier synths have to the next Tyros, the home users are just going to say, "What heck is that for?" Meanwhile, the gigging players will whine and complain because Yamaha didn't give us "this" or "that" :) .

Offline Joe H

« Reply #166 on: July 14, 2017, 06:02:50 PM »
... If Yamaha adds all the "stuff" that their earlier synths have to the next Tyros, the home users are just going to say, "What heck is that for?" Meanwhile, the gigging players will whine and complain because Yamaha didn't give us "this" or "that" :) .

Yep...

;)

Joe H

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #167 on: July 14, 2017, 10:31:12 PM »
I fully agree with your audio styles comments, Joe and Lee !
No audio styles for me either. Never again !

It is not the first time we discussed this subject.

I can only hope Yami heard our complaints and solutions. :P

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:34:13 PM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline DerekA

« Reply #168 on: July 15, 2017, 01:53:33 AM »
You must be looking forward to the Genos Jeff - your profile picture has really cheered up  :)
S770

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #169 on: July 15, 2017, 02:32:20 AM »
Looks like Jeff has a new set of pegs as well :)

Offline Marcus

« Reply #170 on: July 15, 2017, 03:31:26 AM »
I understand everyone's concerns regarding audio styles (or audio drums), but there certainly is that authentic feel to the live drummer's part. All the previous suggestions to improve midi styles and midi drum kits is definately the way to go (including from an editing perspective) but personally, I still would love a nice assortment of audio styles or other audio style part options.

I don't use a DAW program, my live performances and arrangements are from just my Tyros 5, so I still enjoy some Audio Styles directly from my arranger keyboard. In defence of Yamaha's Audio Styles and perhaps future Audio Styles, they can still be somewhat edited to closer suit the midi style parts. I reworked all my voices, styles, midi's and multipads with the Real Reverb DSP in the Reverb block. This gives me control to control the exact ambiance (and acoustic realism) I need for a certain song.

Reworking a Tyros 5 Audio Style allows me to balance the style parts. It is correct that you cannot adjust the individual drum kit parts in an audio drum part, but you can adjust overall volume, EQ, etc, plus add reverb to the audio drum part. Of course you cannot remove the natural reverb from the audio drum part (because it is a real recording), but by adding or adjusting some Real Reverb (Mixing Console), all the Audio Style parts can blend into a nice overall amibiance and balance.

I am not a preset pusher. I tweak and save everything to get the sound and realism I want. The more tools and options provided to me within the arranger keyboard, the better. If Yamaha decided against Audio Drums/Styles in the Genos, I wouldn't be disappointed, but would rather that option still be open to me, plus allow for previous audio style content from the Tyros 5 be used as well.

I like the Audio styles on the Ketron arrangers, but not other aspects of Ketron. So I don't think Ketron will ever sway me, but I am a fan of audio styles. For those you don't like Yamaha Audio Styles ( or concept of audio styles), would equally not like Ketron's Audio Styles as well? I would love further expansion of audio style parts as well (of course coincide with MIDI styles), plus maybe more audio REX style expansion with beat slicing editing. And Yes, add time stretching to the Audio Multipads; a huge plus. More options, more tools.

Marcus

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #171 on: July 15, 2017, 05:03:43 AM »

Audio styles cannot be exported. No editing functions possible.
That is my main problem being a frequent DAW user.

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #172 on: July 15, 2017, 05:11:33 AM »
You are right, guys. I changed my profile picture.  :)

I will be 70 in October 2017 and a smile makes me younger, they say. LOL. 8)

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Joe H

« Reply #173 on: July 15, 2017, 05:43:38 AM »
I will be 70 in October 2017...

Jeff

Me too!

Joe H

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #174 on: July 15, 2017, 07:21:48 AM »
Hi Joe,
I have been told 1947 was the best wine year ever.

I am born on Oct 25 and you ?

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Marcus

« Reply #175 on: July 15, 2017, 07:47:39 AM »
Audio styles cannot be exported. No editing functions possible.
That is my main problem being a frequent DAW user.

Jeff
A Tyros 5 Audio file can be edited to your hearts content in Style Creator, including style part assembly with other styles or from an imported style. The edited Audio Style must be saved to the User Drive. If I have to export the edited Audio Style to my other Tyros 5, I create an edited version (minus the Audio Drum parts) which will allow an export. I then reassemble the Audio drum parts in Style Creator and save to my User Drive on my second Tyros 5. Not that all convenient, but yet I can technically edit and export an Audio Style. As previously mentioned, you can adjust volume and add reverb to the audio drum part, but even in a DAW setup you cannot change the individual drum instruments in an audio clip. The point is, it is a recording of a real drummer.

In addition, you can add the Audio drum parts from a Tyros 5 Audio style and add the drum parts to a midi song file, giving the ultimate drum realism to your midi files, plus have user control over the main variations, fills, breaks, and endings. I can take an imported Tyros 2 programmed midi spot style with the default MIDI drum kit and convert it to an Audio Style in the Tyros 5 Style Creator and then save it to my User Drive on both my Tyros 5s. Here are audio clip demos of the WonderShuffleT2 from MIDI Spot, designed back for the Tyros 2 with the default MIDI drum kit and I converted to an Audio Style on my Tyros 5 with the Style Creator (WonderShuffleT5-audio), Which one sounds and feels more live (or real), the MIDI drum part or the Audio drum part. I would very much prefer to play along with the Audio Style?

The Tyros 5 allows about 100 Audio Style saves to the User Drive. I created up to 75 hybrid Audio Styles and maybe a dozen or so MIDI songs that SYNC/Start to Audio Drum parts. I would hate for Yamaha to take that away with the Genos, of course unless they created a superior Style innovation that surpasses the realism of audio styles. I would have my work cut out for me in that case, but we always strive for better.

WonderShuffleT2.mp3
https://app.box.com/s/2erpoi0jq2vt4ne6vcwi

WonderShuffleT5-audio.mp3
https://app.box.com/s/0b68jdr4s4mngzwm8me9

Marcus

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #176 on: July 15, 2017, 09:09:16 AM »
Hi Marcus,

Thank you for telling us how you are editing audio styles. Very interesting. :)
Are you working with 2 x Ty5 ?

Your quote :

but even in a DAW setup you cannot change the individual drum instruments in an audio clip. The point is, it is a recording of a real drummer.

I can easily change the individual drum instruments in Sonar Platinum. E.g. by using VST's and a lot of other editing tools. No problem at all.

Jeff

DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Marcus

« Reply #177 on: July 15, 2017, 10:56:16 AM »
Hi Marcus,

Thank you for telling us how you are editing audio styles. Very interesting. :)
Are you working with 2 x Ty5 ?

Your quote :

but even in a DAW setup you cannot change the individual drum instruments in an audio clip. The point is, it is a recording of a real drummer.

I can easily change the individual drum instruments in Sonar Platinum. E.g. by using VST's and a lot of other editing tools. No problem at all.

Jeff
Hi Jeff
Of course in external programs and VST's you have access to individual drum instruments and can interface with the Tyros 5. I don't know why over time Yamaha removed the full drum editor from certain products and arranger keyboards. Even my older Yamaha tone generator has full drum kit instrument editing, plus 2 drum kits could run at the same time. Hopefully Yamaha gives us a full drum kit editor again in the Genos.

Makes sense if you are using a DAW interface with the Tyros 5, the audio drum parts in the Audio Styles are pretty much rendered useless for editing and use. My point would be, keep both, MIDI style technology and further develop the Audio Style. For a live performance perspective, Audio Styles can really add to the audio realism of your playing and recording.

When I retired from playing a full console organ due to low back issues, I switched to a twin arranger setup and midi pedals. Advantage to using two keyboards is, one can stay connected in your home studio at all times, and I update my gigging arranger via USB stick. Playing every week pretty much forces me to keep my second board in its travel case or on site. When I am not busy, the second Tyros 5 is parked with my twinset setup.

I have had PSR740/Tyros3, Tyros3/Tyros4, Tyros4/Tyros5, and my current Tyros5/Tyros5 twinsets over the years. Never mixed brands, but I have tried other boards. Why switch from a proven combination and ease with working in Yamaha format, OSs, and support.

My next question would be, do I stay with a Tyros 5 setup, add a Genos or go for a killer twinset with a Genos/Genos setup? Time and money will tell. At least for now, I make enough gigging to pay for all my equipment and compensate for wear and tear over the years, plus Yamaha holds a pretty good resale value.

Marcus

Offline Joe H

« Reply #178 on: July 15, 2017, 12:55:10 PM »
Jeff,

October 11.  Yes 1947 was a good year to be born.

Joe H

Offline Joe H

« Reply #179 on: July 15, 2017, 12:59:01 PM »
Well I found me a good size tub while I wait.

Joe H

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #180 on: July 15, 2017, 01:02:47 PM »
So, you were born in 1947, Joe!!!  You're just a youngster.

Stop it with the popcorn antics.  You're killing me!   ;)  ::)  :o  ;D  ;D  ;D
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline Joe H

« Reply #181 on: July 15, 2017, 01:04:18 PM »
Roger ,

You have to click on my picture to see me in action.

;)

Joe H
PS:  Now you can see why I was popular with the girls in high school. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 01:06:59 PM by Joe H »

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2017, 01:11:21 PM »
I love that picture, Joe !

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Toril S

« Reply #183 on: July 15, 2017, 03:26:28 PM »
Metal is good until you need to pick the darn thing up and carry it to gigs!

My final shopping list:
  • Semi-weighted keybed
  • 76 keys
  • Less than 40 pounds
  • Several decent pianos for a change
  • New style technology
  • Dedicated style and song DAW
  • No expansion modules required at extra cost
  • Ability to free up memory by deleting voices I never use like bagpipes, banjo, sitar, and most of the synth stuff. Downloadable free voices from the Yamaha website would replace the never used voices. (Nord does this. It's a wonderful business model. Far better than having you buy an expensive keyboard, and then telling you that if you want some "really cool extra stuff," you need to pay more!)
  • Ability to edit the audio rhythms

If they do all these things, I'll trade my T5 and Nord 5D, in a heartbeat. The pianos, EPs, and B3 organs must be as good as those on my Nord. At the moment, the T5 isn't even in the same decade for those sounds. (Actually, the EPs and some organs are pretty good :).)
I definitely do not wish for metal. The keyboards are heavy enough as it is. I notice that the new PSR S970 is just as heavy as my old PSR 2100. Maybe titanium would do the trick of making them more lightweight? :)
Toril S

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #184 on: July 15, 2017, 11:33:15 PM »
Hi,

As before the Genos will not be made in metal, I guess.
Yami's main target group has not changed : " the home player ".

Colour :
combination of dark grey and black, maybe ? Who knows ...

More important is to know what is inside.

Hopefully we will know all after September 10, 2017, their dealer introduction date in Germany.

Many dealers have Tyros5 stock. Price is going down but very hard to sell. The enduser seems not to be interested and waits for the Genos.

It looks like the Tyros period is over.

Selling the Nord might be not such a good idea.😉

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 12:16:52 AM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Toril S

« Reply #185 on: July 16, 2017, 08:46:19 AM »
My dealer here in Trondheim, Norway,  had no Tyros models left. He said noone is buying them anymore. They did not have the PSR S970 in stock either, and that made me a little suspicious. He could order one especially for me, but I went out of the store without having ordered it. When I asked when he was going to order it for the store, he said that he planned to do that in a month or so. How strange, when the store was empty of them! So now I think I will wait and see what comes my way in september....Trusty old 2100 will have to play for some more weeks. I waited so long, I can wait a little more.
Toril S.
Toril S

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #186 on: July 16, 2017, 09:25:32 AM »
Hi Toril,

My German dealer told me last Friday he has still one S970 in stock.

I do not know if it is available yet.
If it is not sold you can have this week in Norway.

If you want it let me know.

Note my private e-mail address to contact me: jdavis591@hotmail.com

Best regards from The Netherlands, Jeff
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 09:26:38 AM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline Toril S

« Reply #187 on: July 16, 2017, 10:36:18 AM »
Hi Jeff :)  I can get it here if I wait a couple of weeks. But the fact that the store did not order it at once when they had sold the last one, tells me that maybe a new and better model is coming in september, and in that case the store will not get stuck with too many old models :)
Best ragards,
Toril S
Toril S

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #188 on: July 16, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »
Hi Toril,

I am happy you can buy somewhere else.

Like in the old days many dealers are very small family owned companies.

When new models are announced they order one piece only for their show room.
No stock, no marketing - nor any service budget.

The dealer is only there to sell boxes after receipt of his customer's order and his first payment.

Apparently Yami seem to be happy with their dealership.

Jeff

DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #189 on: July 16, 2017, 11:44:57 AM »
But the fact that the store did not order it at once when they had sold the last one, tells me that maybe a new and better model is coming in september

Not necessarily. Many musical equipment stores are getting overly cautious about keeping ANY brand or model of keyboard in stock, in case they can't sell it. They might have a few in stock when they first come out but then don't replenish when (or if) they sell out, unless it's an item that flies off their shelves no matter how much they stock. In my area it's become next to impossible to go to the music store with a particular model in mind and walk out with one; it's become quicker and cheaper to order online. This is sad, because I'd like to support my local merchants if I can, to help ensure that they don't go out of business.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 11:47:43 AM by SeaGtGruff »
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Offline Joe H

« Reply #190 on: July 16, 2017, 12:16:37 PM »
Michael,

I too like to support my local Yamaha dealer. 

I see the same situation in my town.  Low-end keyboards are stocked.

When I bought my PSR S910, I saw a dealer on eBay selling 5 of them as "Open Box"  to go lower than the MAP (Manufacturer's Advertised Price).  I printed out the listing and took it to my local dealer.  He had to call his Yamaha supplier to get a special price to match the eBay price and I was able to buy from my local dealer for that same price. 

When I bought my S970, I found 2 other buyers to buy S970s with me at the same time so my dealer could get a price break from his supplier to match an east coast dealer's price.  What I learned is that a dealer will get a better wholesale price when buying several boards at the same time vs special ordering 1 board for a single customer.  So large stores have an advantage over smaller stores.

Joe H

Online chony

« Reply #191 on: July 16, 2017, 11:47:39 PM »
One of things to be cautious about, is that like most forums, power users can dominate posts about future technology needs and this distorts the apparent consensus about what people really want. I am going to bet that Yamaha already knows that what makes the latest keyboard attractive to the majority of new and existing users is making it easier and more intuitive to play, some nice new voices, and new styles. An editing program would be an example of something that I think might be nice for a few power users but not sway a buying decision for most potential buyers.

Mike

If all you want in a keyboard is "easier and more intuitive to play, some nice new voices, and new styles", why on earth are you even looking to plunk $5000 on a T5 successor? For far less than that you can buy any sound or style you want for your T5!

The power users are the ones who are going to push the technology forward, and the casual users will excitedly buy because they'll realize that music is more than styles and sounds...

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #192 on: July 17, 2017, 02:16:56 AM »
Chony,

It is a fact an upgrade will never improve the enduser's playing skills. ::)

On the other hand people are always looking for a better sound, more features and comfort.
Many people like to follow the latest trends.

All depends on the needs and the financial situation of the individual enduser.

Jeff

DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline EileenL

« Reply #193 on: July 17, 2017, 04:01:24 AM »
Exactly Geff,
  We all buy what suits us. Because I have always had top models when I part exchange I don't have to find as much as if I were buying for the first time.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #194 on: July 17, 2017, 06:21:57 AM »
That's right Eileen ,got to keep up as the cost is not so steep.
I just hope there Is a button for making an automatic cup of tea!!! :-*

Offline terryB

« Reply #195 on: July 17, 2017, 08:24:39 AM »
Not tea, I want coffee

Offline pmedina

« Reply #196 on: July 17, 2017, 08:31:26 AM »
I wonder if Yamaha has some of the design people following this forum and specially this post.

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #197 on: July 17, 2017, 08:37:02 AM »
I wonder if Yamaha has some of the design people following this forum and specially this post.

Wishful thinking ? ;)

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline billtracy

« Reply #198 on: July 17, 2017, 09:20:12 AM »

Wishful thinking ? ;)

Jeff

I don't know if they do, but I think they should. Or maybe they don't care about the "old guys and gals" anymore?
Current Gear: Roland E-A7, KRK Rokit 5s, Voicelive Play.
Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740, Yamaha PSR-1100, Yamaha PSR-S750, Roland BK-3.

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #199 on: July 17, 2017, 10:47:45 AM »
Hi Bill,

All of us wished they did but I am almost sure they have other priorities. 😻

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN