Author Topic: If Yamaha doesn't do this I'm converting to Korg  (Read 22811 times)

Offline Bill

Re: If Yamaha doesn't do this I'm converting to Korg
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2017, 01:16:26 PM »
Hi Al

I have to say that I agree with totally, however the thread did start out not as a comparison but Chony making a statement that Korg have released a MAJOR Update, something that Yamaha do NOT do. All we get is Bug Fixes (at least when they can fix them easily)

Bill
England

Tyros 5/76

Offline mikf

« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2017, 02:33:51 PM »
Of course people will buy based on what meets their needs, but these exchanges can help inform. While playing both keyboards in a store might be valuable, it is an impossibility for most, and even if you were one of the few who can find both keyboards in a local store, it is not the whole story because no one can sit in a store long enough to dig very deep into these keyboards. Especially if you start knowing little about either.
Informed opinion and comparisons are helpful, and you certainly will not get it in a Guitar Center, which only keep a selection of TOTL arrangers in their very largest stores, and because I have never found a GC employee who knows diddly squat about arrangers.  In any case the GCs only exist in major US cities, and people on this forum live all over the world. 
I see over and over in these exchanges that Yamaha need to address younger buyers but doubt this is a Yamaha priority because they are not the target market for these products. They already serve this younger market with other products. What Yamaha need is to stay up with best practices, and technology, so they can provide improved features which are attractive to their current target market, which are mostly senior home hobbyists, so they remain Yamaha customers and don't get weaned away by the competition. Yamaha has done very well with arrangers mainly because they appeal to the senior home hobbyist, who also happens to have the money to indulge themselves, and I think Yamaha are smart enough to know this.
Mike   

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2017, 02:47:06 PM »
The reason i signed-up on THIS forum is because I have Yamaha keyboards and knew i could get help and benefit from the knowledge and experience of other players using similar keyboard(s).  If i had a Korg keyboard i would have signed up on a Korg forum.

This Forum has been a tremendous help to me and I have learned a LOT from other experienced players.

What a marvelous dissertation in this interesting thread, Al.  As Joe previously said; you made my day too!!!

There are so many PSR members who make this team experience what it is.  It would not be fair to mention some of them without mentioning all of them.  The list of credits would be extremely long.

Long live this forum and long live those faithful members who make our community a wonderful daily experience!!!
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page

« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2017, 04:33:16 PM »
What Yamaha need is to stay up with best practices, and technology, so they can provide improved features which are attractive to their current target market, which are mostly senior home hobbyists, so they remain Yamaha customers and don't get weaned away by the competition. Yamaha has done very well with arrangers mainly because they appeal to the senior home hobbyist, who also happens to have the money to indulge themselves, and I think Yamaha are smart enough to know this.

That may be true, however, a significant number of users are in the semi-pro group and earn money gigging with PSR and Tyros keyboards. For Yamaha to target mainly old people and their quest to play the instrument only in their living rooms, is corporate suicide. I can say that because I am in both categories - senior with money and a semi-pro player ;).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 04:34:22 PM by Lee Batchelor »
Current Gear: Tyros 5, Nord Electro 5D, SoundCraft mixer, two Bose L1 Compact speakers, 15 inch subwoofer designed and built by myself, Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, Cubase 8 Artist, Steinberg UR-44 sound interface.

The following users thanked this post: mikenova

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2017, 11:29:29 PM »
Hi Lee !

I am also an old ( pro ) musician but not rich at all - like most musicians -, I guess. ;)

Best regards, Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline mikf

« Reply #105 on: July 11, 2017, 12:27:22 AM »
Lee
You are quite correct, I meant to include gigging and ex pros because it is important to have those live-performance features. I am one of those myself, although very much an ex now, and it's what brought me to arrangers. The pros using arrangers are largely also seniors and not the 20 year old garage bands, so their needs and the needs of home hobbyists are pretty similar. This what I was getting at when I refer to the target arranger market.

Mike

Offline Cosmorot

« Reply #106 on: July 11, 2017, 05:28:53 AM »
chony Hello! It was all done in Yamaha. The sounds of the drums I did myself. The rest is bass, pad, misc etc. This is all T5. The matter is that I actively use AUX outputs. The same distortion guitar is a guitar T5, corrected and passed through an external combo. Since aux is small - I prescribe lots of patterns and record audio. Then I mix to get a good sound.

As for the Korg. They pursue "fat" in every voice, which is not worth doing.
For good mixing, each voice must occupy its own frequency niche. And the presence of the bottom of the solo trampet? ....
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/59/b0/5d/59b05d0f177a28d2cc37ee0ff1124260.gif

This mix in Korg does not suit me.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #107 on: July 11, 2017, 07:11:02 AM »
... For good mixing, each voice must occupy its own frequency niche. And the presence of the bottom of the solo trampet? ....

You are so right about that.  In a good mix you can hear all instruments very well and not all mixed together like soup.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline tyrosrick

« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2017, 12:08:16 PM »
I don't know how long this thread will continue, however let me say that the forum itself is just great. When I had my Yammi Motif, I joined the Motifator forum. Though they were helpful, and I participated when I could for a year, I always felt I was "swimming with sharks". Yet here in the PSR forum, it feels more like a family and the members speak to others across a level plane, rather than down. As I become more proficient with my T5, I intend to share any knowledge I have with those who ask, just as those gratious members gave to me when I needed it.
Current Gear: Tyros 5 76 key, and a whole lot of ambition.
Past Gear: Motif XF6, and a whole lot of frustration.
and.....Magnus Chord Organ (when I was 10!)

« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2017, 12:47:31 PM »
Excellent comment, tyrosrick. I too was a member of the Motif forum. I left when I switched to a Nord keyboard. In the Motif forum, you were dealing with a very advanced work station. Much of what it does is somewhat automated on the T5. I think that brings all the T5 users to a more common ground. That being said, if Yamaha would give (or sell) us a decent DAW for the T5, things may change in this forum. We'd need a new forum called, "Tyros 5 DAW" :).
Current Gear: Tyros 5, Nord Electro 5D, SoundCraft mixer, two Bose L1 Compact speakers, 15 inch subwoofer designed and built by myself, Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, Cubase 8 Artist, Steinberg UR-44 sound interface.

Offline tyrosrick

« Reply #110 on: July 11, 2017, 02:24:10 PM »
I surmise that the Genos WILL have a DAW interface among other features not present on the T5. However, my 69 year old mind, along with my musical talent (or lack of), may not be able to wrap around more and more "stuff" to learn. For now anyway, this T5 appears to take me just as far as my mind wants to go.

« Reply #111 on: July 11, 2017, 03:11:08 PM »
From a 64 year old to a 69 year old, don't underestimate yourself. I refuse to age because I've seen what it does to people. If a new Genos is feasible, go for it!! I say that because you and I are now studying for our final exams :).

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #112 on: July 11, 2017, 03:18:39 PM »
Hi
 The new keyboard must have a daw Interface that matches as all other top Daws are not compatible with the Tyros. The zeros and ones are a mismatch.
This for me is a big must.
Do away with YEM as It is rather basic.
upgrade  the sounds even further.
Also smoother transition between registrations and a drum fills that is more responsive . if you are slightly late or early they do not sound.
I found that the transitions and fills were more responsive on the old Technics KN2000
Get rid of DO DOOS!!! A massive must!!! "Oh the pain." dubadub dub!!flubber rub flop!!,  Bill and Ben the Flowerpot men was better  "flobalobalob"!!

More realistic guitars please as they still sound a little keyboardy
Forget touchscreen and arps and concentrate on real play enhancements
I also think that the piano's could be improved

More rock and roll and less Schlager 8)  I am 66 and still rock!! 8) :)  " I do like all Genres really"!! :o

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I HATE THE DOOOOODOOOSSOOODOOOS"!!! :-X :-\ :'( :( :o                                                                www.blowup the doodoos@Yawahara.com
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 03:37:59 PM by ugawoga »

Offline emasters

« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2017, 03:48:11 PM »
I surmise that the Genos WILL have a DAW interface among other features not present on the T5.

As Yamaha owns Steinberg, one would think they could have a rich and tight integration with Cubase and Nuendo.  Clearly other major DAWs to work with, that folks use.  But Yamaha has the inside-track with the Steinberg products.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #114 on: July 12, 2017, 04:29:45 AM »
I totally agree with Al.
  We buy what suit us best as we are the ones that have to be happy with it. As an 81 year old I am looking forward to seeing what is on the new keyboard and then will make my mind up as to if I get it.
   With Yamaha there is always so much you can do to tailor it to your own needs. You can have six of the same keyboards lined up and each one will sound different. Its like having a blank canvas and then painting your own picture on it.

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #115 on: July 12, 2017, 05:02:56 AM »
"I HATE THE DOOOOODOOOSSOOODOOOS"!!!

Me, too. But the Tyros range has always willingly taken on the mantle of being slightly cheesy. It seems to be - despite its price and its irrefutable quality - aimed squarely at MoR tastes - you know, Easy Listening, soft rock, that kind of thing. One look at the hundreds of Tyros YouTube videos confirms this: endless versions of Easy Listening, MoR tracks from days gone by, along with even older standards from the jazz and big band eras. Tyros just can't be a sexy, modern beast even if it wants to: that's not how it was designed by its creators. Well...actually it can be modern and even cutting edge, but the vast majority of those who buy a Tyros don't buy it for that. I guess they go for Montage if they want all that ambient, ethereal stuff (it's actually pretty good!) and something to use for EDM.

Yamaha seem to know their market, when it comes to their successful Tyros line. I can't argue with that, although I might take issue with various aspects of the Tyros design. Besides, they produce so many different keyboards I think they have most sectors of the market covered one way or another. Personally, I think I made a mistake getting my Tyros 5 (should've got a Montage!). I think I probably wanted something a little less Cliff Richard and The Shadows and a little more Enigma (remember Enigma?). Either way, I have a Tyros 5 and I make it my mission to steer away from those awful 'Do-Do-Doos' and I never even go near the electronic organs. But that's just me. It's a fine keyboard - taken as a huge box of outstanding individual instrument sounds (a glorified MIDI sound source, if you will) it's a fantastic confection of endless musical possibilities when hooked up to a DAW and paired with some of the truly fantastic VSTi plugins around. Tyros can save your PC's CPU by providing lush orchestras, glorious pianos and (I think) very compelling guitars, etc.

It's not what I wanted it to be, but it's still an amazing asset to anyone's home studio - just stay away from the cheese!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 05:08:05 AM by CalUKGR »
Yamaha Tyros 5 | Roland A-800 Pro | Cubase 9 Elements | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape & Stylus RMX | Arturia Spark 2 | Yamaha APX 700II 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar

« Reply #116 on: July 12, 2017, 06:00:15 AM »
Agreed about the doodoodoos...and the finger snaps can go too  >:(!!

Tyros can save your PC's CPU by providing lush orchestras, glorious pianos and (I think) very compelling guitars, etc.,

"Glorious pianos?" I think not. Although, the Cocktail Piano and Octave pianos have a decent realism. I can't play octaves to save my life! Glad I have them on my T5 :). The regular pianos need a major overhaul. They sound somewhat decent in a band environment but not for solo work... :(.

Offline Cosmorot

« Reply #117 on: July 12, 2017, 06:42:45 AM »
Exactly! That's why I made my piano! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gsAyiD0n2g
And all that T5 makes it possible to do it! I have been fighting for a long time now that Yamaha corrects the editor. But no one supports me!  :-[ I could fill the box good sound and styles.

Online chony

« Reply #118 on: July 12, 2017, 07:08:49 AM »
I'm with you Cosmorot. We really need much better editing features in all areas.

Do you sure your drum kit?

Also can you share/YouTube  exactly how you get that guitar sound?

The following users thanked this post: Mike W

Offline CalUKGR

« Reply #119 on: July 12, 2017, 07:09:45 AM »
Agreed about the doodoodoos...and the finger snaps can go too  >:(!!

"Glorious pianos?" I think not. Although, the Cocktail Piano and Octave pianos have a decent realism. I can't play octaves to save my life! Glad I have them on my T5 :). The regular pianos need a major overhaul. They sound somewhat decent in a band environment but not for solo work... :(.

Lee, I wouldn't know a perfect piano sound if it smacked me round the head, tbh. I think the Tyros 5 pianos sound pretty decent, but I'm willing to concede that to an expert they probably come up short. BTW, I did invest in Spectrasonics 'Keyscape' VSTi - it's pretty impressive (and expensive), and you'll need a beefy PC to really get the best from it. Still, between that (it has tons of various keyboard types) and the T5 I'm pretty much all piano'ed out! :D
Yamaha Tyros 5 | Roland A-800 Pro | Cubase 9 Elements | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape & Stylus RMX | Arturia Spark 2 | Yamaha APX 700II 12-String Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Offline Toril S

« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2017, 07:34:32 AM »
Touch screen is a disaster for visually impaired players like myself. I rely on the knobs and buttons to operate the keyboard. At home I make all adjustments, and have great difficulty using the screen. But with magnifiers I manage, barely! This really tipped me over, tomorry I go out and buy a couple of 970 keyboards, so I have to last me for the rest of my life. I am not against technology, but technology has to be useful, and you must be able to use it. None of the companies who make keyboards have given any thoughts what so ever to musicians who have special needs. We make do as best we can, and no one cares the least bit. 
Toril S
Toril S

« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2017, 08:06:32 AM »
Cosmorot, please tell us how you made those great piano sounds. Do we need to buy yet another upgrade from Yamaha or can we do it with our existing editing features? Those sound great even on my crappy little computer speakers!! Please share the knowledge.

Offline DonM

« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2017, 08:14:30 AM »
Toril S,
I can sympathize with you as I have a blind friend, one of the best musicians I've ever heard, who had to address playing keyboard.  He was fine with the controls, memorizing where everything was, and how many button pushes it took to achieve certain results.
When touch screens came about, rather than be limited by them, he chose to get a fairly sophisticated controller keyboard and program the commands he needed on it, in effect bypassing the touch screen. 
Virtually all aspects on most arrangers can be addressed via midi, although the learning curve and setup time was significant at first.   
I had some knowledge of this because I used a controller keyboard with arranger modules such as Ketron Midjay and Roland BK7M, so I was able to help him through the early stages, but he really didn't need much help.  I generally find myself learning from him!
I'm not saying there isn't a need for the arranger companies to address the situation that visually-challenged players face, but it seems more and more likely that hope isn't going to be realized.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2017, 09:24:13 AM »
Thanks for the imput! The learning curve will be steep, since I never have worked with MIDI on a computer, bur I take a challenge! As for the hopes of making instruments more accessible for blind/low vision users, I agree with You. I think that will never happen.
Toril S
Toril S

Offline billtracy

« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2017, 01:10:48 PM »
Touch screen is a disaster for visually impaired players like myself. I rely on the knobs and buttons to operate the keyboard. At home I make all adjustments, and have great difficulty using the screen. But with magnifiers I manage, barely! This really tipped me over, tomorry I go out and buy a couple of 970 keyboards, so I have to last me for the rest of my life. I am not against technology, but technology has to be useful, and you must be able to use it. None of the companies who make keyboards have given any thoughts what so ever to musicians who have special needs. We make do as best we can, and no one cares the least bit. 
Toril S

Well said-long live knobs! :)
Current Gear: Roland E-A7, KRK Rokit 5s, Voicelive Play.
Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740, Yamaha PSR-1100, Yamaha PSR-S750, Roland BK-3.

Offline Marcus

« Reply #125 on: July 12, 2017, 01:18:42 PM »
Toril S
Hi Toril
There has been a few threads in this forum over the years in regards to Yamaha arrangers and the visually impaired. It can be quite challenging, but worth it in the end to get the enjoyment out of the keyboard. Learning the button layout and menus along with assistance getting your registrations setup can certainly help give you independence over the arranger.

I noticed on the more recent Yamaha CVP-705 piano, the touch screen has audio clicks when a function is highlighted by your finger. (see YouTube link below). However, on this particular model, the navigation buttons have been removed from around the screen compared to previous non-touch screen CVP models. Most likely to streamline and uncluttered the looks to this higher end digital piano. Since one would expect many buttons and features on an arranger type keyboard, lets hope, if Yamaha does commit to a touch screen on the next Tyros/Genos model, the dual purpose navigation buttons will remain in conjunction with the touch screen menus. Different audio clicks can be helpful as well. For me, just make the screen bigger and high resolution.

Yamaha CVP-705 Voice, Styles & Piano Room Demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBiWY8XxJiY

As far as the original topic, why praise Korg for a large free upgrade? Should not these new features and improvements been included in the Pa4X release to begin with? What is this, work in progress or trying to play catch-up with the competition? If Korg really wants to offer live touch screen functions, for heavens sake make the touch screen large enough to be functional as well as resolution to be read and as functionally smooth as a slider, knob or ribbon controller. Trying a live gig outside in the daylight with this small low resolution screen and live touch screen controls would be rendered useless in the glare (even in the shade). At least Korg caught on that it needed at least a tilt screen added like the Tyros series had all along. The Korg Pa4x barely catches up to the Tyros 5 despite the Tyros being three years old.

I surely hope Yamaha "does not do this". Yamaha has had time to give us a fully developed product. A remarkable job has been done with older Tyros platform to this point and always leading the industry in innovation, quality, value, and support. Taking developmental clues from the latest Yamaha CVP pianos and the S-770/970 arrangers, hopefully a nice size high resolution touch screen "with" corresponding navigation buttons and sliders, plus the more contemporary EDM/trance options and functions evident from the S-970 arranger and further developed features. Sure, live touch screen control, but why not with the option of using a corresponding slider?

Any Tyros 5 Mixing Console function and effect can be brought up on the screen and applied to a slider for live control. I don't see the big deal with the Korg Pa4X live controls/functions from the inadequate touch screen, ill conceived from an update. For me, no way would I give up all my years of work in Yamaha format and try to make it work or adapt on a Korg. Yet, I find it amusing how many jump back and forth to different brands with latest arranger somehow thinking their playing is better or makes them sound better. If you are not using all the tools on your arranger, then it sounds more like one is only a preset button pusher, rather than an arranger, creator, performer.

I am sure the next Tyros/Genos will be quite impressive, with contemporary upgrades (to tailor and trend towards newer music genres), new  features, continued innovations and worth the wait. Yamaha got the message that we want compatibility from previous work, improved Voice Creator/editors, more memory, and continued innovations towards even more realism in our arranging performance needs. Excited to the prospects of traded up to a newer Tyros6/Genos twinset.

Regards, Marcus   
Gear: Triangle

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2017, 10:39:33 PM »
I feel very sorry to hear blind musicians are lost if the Genos should come with a touch screen only ( without the usual knobs ). :'(

I may hope the Genos will have what these great musicians need. Cross my fingers.

Jeff
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:44:26 PM by Jeff Hollande »
DAWS MAC & WIN

Offline maartenb

« Reply #127 on: July 13, 2017, 02:33:09 AM »
None of the companies who make keyboards have given any thoughts what so ever to musicians who have special needs. We make do as best we can, and no one cares the least bit. 

With all due respect, I think this is very unfair towards Yamaha. The new Montage has a touch screen and is still operable with knobs, sliders and buttons.

There are use cases where touch screens make a lot of sense. I had a Roland G-70 with touch screen and I loved it. It took me a while to get used to the Tyros way of doing things. Nowadays I am used to it, but if the Genos has a touch screen I will use it in a heart beat. When designed well and being responsive, a touch screen is a very powerful way of interfacing with a device or instrument. Remember that an arranger is basically a computer. It's due to the interface designers of Yamaha that this computer feels like an instrument!

There are also use cases where physical knobs, sliders and buttons are superior, like all the real time buttons for style, volume and registration control. Theoretically Yamaha could make a "ribbon display" (like the Touch Bar on recent Apple MacBooks) just above the keybed for these controls. I expect it not to work, because you don't feel the tactical feedback of pressing the bar and you could slide from one virtual knob to the adjacent one.

I surmise the Genos will have a touch screen that will also be operable with navigation buttons. Visually impaired people will have you learn the menu structure by heart, which will take considerable effort, but can be done. And if you use the Tyros in turn-on-and-play mode, like I often do as home player, just playing styles with OTS, you only have to operate physical controls.

Have some faith in Yamaha and see what the Genos will bring.

Maarten
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 03:47:09 AM by maartenb »

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #128 on: July 13, 2017, 03:39:12 AM »
Hi

To sum the next keyboard up Is simple

1--We need a great editing program that talks properly with the Tyros/Genos and a decent piano roll. THIS IS TOP WANT

2 -More realistic guitars and pianos.Cut out the doodoos and stick an arppegiator in for those who want one.

3-- A BETTER SOUND SYSTEM EVEN IF IT COSTS MORE----The TRS-MS05's are awful in my view (tinny with boom boom), overpriced with antique and messy wireing.
Monitors are ok for flat response, but what about when you want great enhanced quality like a top grade hi-fi
Be great to have a monitor and hi-fi switch on same pair of speakers,so you can have best of both worlds.
4---physical knobs are far better to play with as this cuts out grubby little fingers blurring the screen!! :) :o
Lets get Physical !!and live in the real world whilst we all have a chance. :P

"Exiting waiting for Christmas"!!! "In IT":P ;D 8)

Ps Look what the mobile phone is doing to the young generation---"virtual reality"!!! ::)  " I want a knob to play with ;) "
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 04:02:04 AM by ugawoga »

Offline tyrosrick

« Reply #129 on: July 13, 2017, 03:53:23 AM »
What is a tso5?

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2017, 04:02:26 AM »
corrected

Offline mikf

« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2017, 06:42:47 AM »
One of things to be cautious about, is that like most forums, power users can dominate posts about future technology needs and this distorts the apparent consensus about what people really want. I am going to bet that Yamaha already knows that what makes the latest keyboard attractive to the majority of new and existing users is making it easier and more intuitive to play, some nice new voices, and new styles. An editing program would be an example of something that I think might be nice for a few power users but not sway a buying decision for most potential buyers.

Mike

Offline Marcus

« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2017, 07:06:48 AM »
No Marcus, i dont think the Pa4x is a work in progress, neither could this update have been part of the pa4x at release...

This update is mostly based on what the community has asked for after release... its a way of Korg saying, we are listening.. its what some people might call support...

Its how Korg handles things... my Kronos for example has in its 5 years life span has numerous content updates.. some with huge impact... like sample streaming for the HD-1 engine, adding string resonance to the piano engine..and many many more... and its because of these updates that after 5 years, the Kronos is still competitive with any keyboard out there..

Next to a feature upgrade, there was also a huge content update for the pa4x, new styles, keyboardsets and sounds... all for free...

Its just a way of how Korg hamdles things ...its more a software way of thinking, where Yamaha is still stuck to the old haddware way of thinking...

You are definately on the wrong leg here, stating that these updates should have been part of the pa4x at release...

So when the Tyros6/Genos comes out, the Korg crowd won't be thinking of the hardware mindset, and will resist Yamaha's "old hardware way of thinking" and certainly stick to their Pa4X and brand because it is not "a work in progress", and can trust Korg to give them huge updates to fulfill their arranger needs into the future.

Personally, I need to know what I am getting up front, or what chocolates and ingredients are in the box before I purchase. I may not like the new free sample chocolates that might come out.

Marcus

The following users thanked this post: Toril S

Offline mikf

« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2017, 07:49:54 AM »
 I don't imagine people buy the PA4X guessing what it might become later. I think people buy the PA4X or a competitive product based on what both are at the time they buy.  If they do that and decide on Korg, how can it be a bad thing if the Korg improves later at no additional cost???
Mike

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #134 on: July 13, 2017, 08:19:31 AM »
Please, Yamaha, more cheese.  And throw in a few crackers, too.  Enjoy reading all the comments and points of view.  Iím probably in the minority, but I love the T5 choral, doo-wop voices.  Use them all the time in multitrack recording.  Thatís one of the main reasons I purchased it.  In fact, Iíd vote for an all exclusive choral keyboard-----lots of vocal styles, choirs, real voices, and such stuff.  Probably wouldnít sell except for me.

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2017, 09:09:01 AM »
The final product called Genos is ready to be shipped ( by boat ) and will leave Japan very soon.

The Genos will arrive in September and will be presented to the Yami dealers.
In October ( or maybe earlier, who knows  ::) ) we will know how the Genos will look like.
Then we will find out if all our wishes and dreams will come true.

I am almost sure we will not be disappointed, as usual.  :D

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2017, 09:12:40 AM »
Just curious, Jeff. How do you know this :)?

Offline Marcus

« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2017, 10:24:03 AM »
I don't imagine people buy the PA4X guessing what it might become later. I think people buy the PA4X or a competitive product based on what both are at the time they buy.  If they do that and decide on Korg, how can it be a bad thing if the Korg improves later at no additional cost???
Mike
Fair enough. I still base my purchase on the new product at the time, reputation of the brand, how it meets my needs at the time and perhaps a few years down the road, compatibility to previous work, while not being  concerned what potential freebies are thrown my way. Still comes down to the main strong points/features of the hardware, not peripherals or updates added later.

From the last few posts, I get the impression the new Tyros (2017) model is named the Genos? So basically a whole new upgraded TOTL arranger hardware platform. Should prove interesting.

Marcus

Online Jeff Hollande

« Reply #138 on: July 13, 2017, 10:40:54 AM »
Hi Lee,

Trust me. I told you nothing but the truth. :D

Jeff
DAWS MAC & WIN

« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2017, 11:02:10 AM »
Sounds good, Jeff. It's nice to have an insider on the forum :). Like everyone else, I'm curious to see what Yamaha has done.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2017, 01:13:07 PM »
Just need better editing and more realistic sounds

I can only imagine that the  new Genos has a button for Time travel If Bachus is right !! 8) also a anti gravity stand supplied free with 5th Dimensional speakers :o

The tension builds!!! :-X
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 01:23:48 PM by ugawoga »

« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2017, 01:25:06 PM »
Let's not forget "Band In A Box" type rhythms that vary on their own and sound less "canned." The T5 rhythms are excellent but are made from fifty-five year old technology. You can only go so far by providing excellent drum sounds, which Yamaha does. My Lowery organ in 1962 was available with a "Sideman" boom-chuck rhythm machine. Perhaps some of the older folks here remember the name :). It produced a drum pattern on which all the new ones today are based. Of course the technology is far better today, but the results are essentially the same with nicer samples. Like those in the 60s, after a while, they're boring and very predictable. Something tells me Yamaha will change this on the Genos. If not, I'll stick with my T5.

EDIT: oh yes, and BETTER PIANOS (LOL)!

Offline mikf

« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2017, 01:48:07 PM »
Iím probably in the minority, but I love the T5 choral, doo-wop voices
Far from it, I am convinced that you and buyers like you are the core of the arranger market.

Offline billtracy

« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2017, 03:26:59 PM »
Hi Lee,

Trust me. I told you nothing but the truth. :D

Jeff

OK Jeff, we are going to hold you to this prediction. :)
Current Gear: Roland E-A7, KRK Rokit 5s, Voicelive Play.
Previously Owned: Yamaha PSR-740, Yamaha PSR-1100, Yamaha PSR-S750, Roland BK-3.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2017, 04:11:31 PM »
I need to go find me a very large box of popcorn and a case of beer... the anticipation is just killing me!   ::)    :-X   :'(     ???    :o

This GENOS.... It's gonna be the mother of all keyboards and make everybody happy.  So alright already... enough... I can't take no more!

;D

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 04:16:06 PM by Joe H »

My Article: Using Multi Pads for EDM. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2017, 04:23:20 PM »
Joe, it's "any more," and I fully agree. I'll bring the popcorn. You bring the brewksies ;D!

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #146 on: July 13, 2017, 05:05:45 PM »
I don't consume alcoholic beverages, but I would like to join both of you, Joe and Lee.  I would bring the soft drinks, hot dogs, burgers and smoked beef brisket.  ;)  ;D  ;D  ;D

It looks like the technical writer is exuding from Lee..."any more".  ;)  :)  ;D
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

Offline Joe H

« Reply #147 on: July 13, 2017, 06:22:20 PM »
Roger,

I don't drink either but this thread may get me started.

LOL...

::)

Joe H

Offline Joe H

« Reply #148 on: July 13, 2017, 06:32:00 PM »
Rog,

With all this entertainment... any chance we could sell tickets in order for people to access this thread from here on out?  we could sell the hamburgers and hot dogs and the beer too. 

Popcorn should be free though with the price of admission.

:D    ;D     ;D    :D    :D    :D

Joe H

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 06:33:02 PM by Joe H »

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #149 on: July 13, 2017, 06:41:20 PM »
Hi Joe,

I'm literally about to die laughing at your last two comments.  ;D  ;D  ;D

I believe you're right.  Maybe I should lock this thread and hold everyone hostage.  LOL!!!

Our ransom could include a predetermined number of ticket sales before the thread is reopened.  LOL!!!

I'd like to see the look on Jeff's face right now!!!  ::)  :o  ???  :-\  :'(
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:32:44 PM by Roger Brenizer »
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger