Author Topic: S770 newbie  (Read 386 times)

Offline PiqueABoo

S770 newbie
« on: June 30, 2017, 09:22:02 AM »
Hi folks,

Hasn't been delivered yet but I'm here because I just bought an S770. That's partly for me, but overwhelmingly for my 13-going-on-14 year-old daughter. She's a traditional classical pianist now working on grade 8, and because that was supposed to be 'good for her soul' (I'm not an Amy Chua type) she got to this current level via a relatively light and scrappy, self-managed practice regime. Don't intend to be smug but this one was just blessed with quite a lot of that mysterious 'musicality', a kind of innate sense for the dynamics, non-rigid timing and nuance that just makes the pieces sound more alive. FWIW at home that happens with a few years old shiny-black Clavinova which has the expensive added natural wooden keyboard option: was very hesitant about spending more very serious money for the trimmings, but I love playing it and from a couple of dozen real pianos daughter has played to date, the sound that digital makes has only ever been matched by a shiny-black Yamaha grand.

A keyboard is obviously quite different and I've prevaricated over getting one for a couple of months. Daughter goes to a regular (English) state school which tries hard to add to a sense of community with their extra-curricular music e.g. there's a school orchestra, this or that ensemble or group, a good choir etc. But although she is quite an accompished musician for her age, there isn't a place for a classical pianist in any of that and she isn't keen on (for her) those very nerve-wracking solo piano performances in front of a large hall full of parents etc.

So despite the one-man-band angle, this S770 is largely intended to make it much easier for daughter to join in with group music, perhaps filling some missing instrument holes for the school orchestra, playing with the ad-hoc band for their annual musical show, add a bit of backing to the occasional piano-heavy current pop-song (e.g. 21 Pilots) she sometimes performs with a couple of her friends, and also make use of it with the composing aspect of a GCSE Music course starting in the autumn etc. In essence the plan is that she will have significantly more opportunities for musical fun and I know it will make her much more musically rounded. On top of that she's a geekier thrives-on-challenge type, so I'm expecting to see a quite a lot of satisifaction from the ups and downs of exploring and working it all out.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 10:18:00 AM by PiqueABoo »

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: S770 newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 02:27:00 PM »
Hi PiqueABoo,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member.  I'm sure you and your daughter are going to learn a great deal about your PSR-S770 keyboard here on the forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing it.  Maybe your daughter will want to become a member also.  It sounds like she's well on her way to becoming an accomplished musician.

You'll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.  This link will take you to the Home page of the website: http://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.  You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

http://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the websites resources, which can be found at the following link:
http://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

We're so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  There are many members here who are always willing and eager to help you.

We all wish you and your daughter well.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Rogerís PSR Performer Page