Author Topic: New Member & advice please!  (Read 1168 times)

Offline Halesowen Kid

New Member & advice please!
« on: June 28, 2017, 12:11:07 PM »
Hello to All,

Back in the early 1970's I purchased a Farfisa organ & began to learn to play the instrument, but after about 12 months I moved home & at the time could not take the instrument with me.

Many years down the line I've the urge to take up the challenge again....

Technology has really moved on & the digital keyboard has caught my eye to the point the Yamaha PSR models.

Out of their range of keyboards, the E453 & the S670 both 61 keys are on my hit list & I see there is a price difference between the two.

Can anyone tip the scales for me as to which one to buy & please explain why you have come to your decision?

I appreciate your help & thank you in advance.

Regards,

Mike

Offline SeaGtGruff

Re: New Member & advice please!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 03:13:40 PM »
If you're considering between those two models, then I might recommend considering the PSR-EW400 rather than the PSR-E453, as they're essentially identical except the PSR-EW400 has a wider keyboard, better amplification, and better audio output options than the PSR-E453. But of those three models (PSR-E453, PSR-EW400, and PSR-S670), the PSR-S670 is by far be the best buy on the basis of features and capabilities. So if it isn't over your budget, I'd recommend the PSR-S670. The PSR-S770 would be even better, and the PSR-S970 better still, but they also cost a good bit more than the PSR-S670.
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

The following users thanked this post: Halesowen Kid

Online DerekA

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 04:27:23 AM »
It depends on how 'deep' you want to go.

If you will just be playing a few hours a week, or want something that gives good results without much tweaking, you will have great fun with the 453 or EW400.

If you need a bit more variety and control and are comfortable with tweaking, and especially if you want to start experimenting with the custom styles from this website, then the 670 will suit you better.

I was a bit like you, I had a 10-year or so gap when the family were younger and I didn't play. I bought a 443 and loved it so much that I traded up to a 770 as soon as I could afford it.

S770

Offline Halesowen Kid

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 12:41:00 PM »
Thank you gents for taking time out to reply to which are most interesting.

I'm thinking of going middle of the road price wish so I'm looking at the S670. The only things of concern to me are using the cursor buttons while playing or trying to play and the size of the display screen. Other than that I'm quite comfortable with the S670 and I'm sure it will satisfy me for years to come.

Your thoughts please?

Offline SeaGtGruff

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 01:13:53 PM »
I'd say it's a good choice, then. The PSR-S670 can use 3 style intros, 4 main variations, 4 fill-ins (plus a "break" as well, I think?), and 3 endings; whereas the PSR-E453/PSR-EW400 are limited to 2 intros, 2 main variations, 2 fill-ins (the style file format can support 4 fill-ins, but only 2 can be selected with the panel buttons), and 2 endings. So if you have any intention of ever using the auto accompaniment features, the PSR-S670 is superior to the PSR-E453/PSR-EW400. And the PSR-S670 is XG-compatible, whereas the PSR-E453/PSR-EW400 are only XGlite-compatible, which means they're limited to 1-element voices, don't have as many DSP effects, and don't support all of the XG features that the PSR-S670 does-- and on top of that, the PSR-S670 also supports voice-and-style expansion packs. Don't get me wrong, I love my PSR-E443, PSR-E433, and YPT-400 (a.k.a. PSR-E403), but they aren't a PSR-S670. :)
Michael Rideout
YPT-400, PSR-E433, PSR-E443

Online DerekA

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 01:53:39 PM »
If you're comfortable with tweaking settings, then the cursor buttons won't be a problem. It's true that the layout round the screen used on 770, 970, Tyros etc is better but the cursor is a big improvement over the 453.

On the 453, all the interesting settings (filter, resonance, relative volume, reverb depth etc etc) are controlled through a single 'function' menu. If you're adjusting these things frequently, it does become a bit of a pain clicking through the function list to find the one you want - especially on the fly while playing. The cursor buttons, plus the many more dedicated function buttons on the 670, are just much easier to use.

The 670 display screen is, I think, about the same size as the 453. The 453 shows the currently selected voice, style or function setting. The 670 has a matrix of pixels which can show a lot more information at once, for example the current voice (L, R1, and R2) and style selections can all be shown together. It just works in a different way - e.g. on the 453 you select a voice by typing in its ID number, whereas on the 670 you are shown a list of voice files organised into folders and pages, and you pick the one you want. It works the same way for styles, registrations, multipads, midi files, and audio files. This means you can browse for a new voice or style easily while playing without changing the current selection until you make a choice. It's more like working with a (very) simple version of Windows Explorer.

You've probably seen this already, but this video (and others in the same series) gives some closeups on the 670 screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBH9x6Gi0NY
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 02:14:29 PM by DerekA »
S770

Offline Halesowen Kid

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 10:51:56 AM »
Hi Guys,

I might even consider aYamaha PSR S770 after seeing and hearing one today. The demo was a quick one but have to say what I heard and saw was impressive....

More research over the weekend!....

Online DerekA

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 01:45:16 AM »
If your budget will stretch to it, go for it! I am very happy with mine.
S770

Offline beekay

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 02:50:40 AM »
I just noticed that you are from Halesowen in the Midlands.   Welcome to the forum.  I live in the West Midlands and am a member of a super keyboard club at Cookhill, near Alcester.   It has been going over twenty years and currently has around 90 members.  You would be most welcome to join us as a visitor or a member.   If you google "Cookhill Keyboard Club" you will find further information.

Regards
Brian

Offline Halesowen Kid

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 08:33:23 AM »
Hi Guys,

I've been in to Cranes Music in Worcester UK to have a look at the S770 & S970 but I fell in love with a Tyros 5.... ;D

Alas it was out of my price range.... :'(

But if anyone in the UK knows of a Tyros 4 or 5 being sold, please notify me....

Thank you,

Mike

Online DerekA

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 12:05:22 PM »
That's some journey, from an E453 to a Tyros in 5 days ....!

The T5 is going for under 3K (including speakers) at a few places, it might even drop a bit more once the mythical Genos makes an appearance ...